Eichmann in Spain and diplomatic consequences

If Eichmann fled to Spain instead of Argentina, what will be the consequences? Will the Mossad arrest Eichmann in Spain instead of Argentina? What will be the violent reactions in Spain (against Israel because of Eichmann and against the Eichmann and Francoist supporters in Spain) since Eichmann will be extradited from Franco's Spain?

I would think Eichmann would get extradited through normal channels, probably to Germany to stand trial.

The same would happen as with Degrelle and other Nazis in Spain, nothing, the Franco regime would protect them and would not let anything happen to them, come on, there are no Nazis and collaborators from half of Europe buried in Spain.

What's more, which is the most painful, Degrelle died in Spain at a time when democracy was already in place, after several years of a leftist government, so yes, I think that even if the Mossad tried, it would be difficult to achieve his extradition

I would think Eichmann would get extradited through normal channels, probably to Germany to stand trial.
Doubtful. Germany did not want Eichmann to stand trial, and indeed were very worried when Israel captured him. The BND new for certain he was in Argentina, and didn’t do anything about it cause more than one person involved with the government had skeletons on the closet that Eichmann could’ve revealed.

If someone asks (probably only Israel) Franco will hand Eichmann happily. He has done same with others too. He wanted seek good terms with the West whilst remaining as fascist dictator.

If he was in Spain, I believe he would have gotten away.

Regarding diplomatic consequences, I think this would butterfly any meaningful US and Western rapprochement with Franco. With the exception of Salazar's Portugal, Spain throughout the Cold War would have no contact with the NATO.

Last edited:
If someone asks (probably only Israel) Franco will hand Eichmann happily. He has done same with others too. He wanted seek good terms with the West whilst remaining as fascist dictator.
I think Franco would just deny he ever took Eichmann in. I don't believe he would extradite him.
Mossad would still kidnap him as he had six million Jewish people killed.
That's neglecting the risks of such an operation. I would wager the conditions here are different from the OTL.
Mossad agents would risk getting captured.

Then there is the whole issue of getting him out.

I think Franco would just deny he ever took Eichmann in. I don't believe he would extradite him.

That's neglecting the risks of such an operation. I would wager the conditions here are different from the OTL.
Mossad agents would risk getting captured.

Then there is the whole issue of getting him out.
Perhaps assassination then.

I will say that Spanish exiles from Franco will be excited to see Eichmann extradited or abducted from Spain. Because the only losers will be the Spanish exiles' enemies of Francoist Spain and Eichmann (a representative of Nazi Germany, its support for Francoist Spain and the Holocaust).

Last edited: