Doctor Who 50th Anniversary BIG NEWS

SPOILER ALERT

Well, it looks like the BBC's accidentally leaked screener copy of the Doctor Who 50th has revealed the truth to a rumor I'd never have believed - the special will contain the first ever live action appearance of the cartoon Doctor! (Or "Doc", as Jessica would say).

WgJVjho.jpg

The jacket ... so majestic ...

Apparently Bill Nighy (!) is playing him, which is amazing - it would have been nice to hear Dan Castellaneta voice the Doctor one more time, but he just doesn't look the part, and some kind of dubbing situation like some people want would be just weird. Likewise with any appearance by Alyson Court as Jessica, since that would require some questionable make-up.

1HvcoUe.jpg

It's weird seeing Doc with black hair.

I know I'm not the only American with fond memories of the old CBS Doctor Who cartoon. Was it good? Not particularly. Although by its third and final season, the show had a few more serious episodes, especially the final three-parter. Of course, it also had that episode with the alien witches at the Salem witch trials, soooo. But hey! Silver and Gold had the creepiest form of Cybermen to this day, and it had them fighting goddamn cowboys.

bRF45TN.jpg

Honestly I don't think the new BBC reboot would have given the TV Doc the time of day if the original live series hadn't so abruptly ended. The cartoon was always meant to be a throwaway bit of nonsense for Americans, I think it's clear, but when 1990 rolled around the new show was the only Doctor Who on TV. And for over a decade after the cartoon ended, there was the weird situation where both Doc and Sylvester McCoy's 7th Doctor were considered the 'current' Doctor. I had both the Virgin New Adventures novels featuring McCoy, and a truly staggering stack of the Archie Comics series about the TV Doc, and never for one second saw a conflict (despite the cartoon never mentioning regeneration). Although I did wonder why 7's Daleks didn't have tank treads and drills.

TEXbJyF.jpg

You know you want to see these bad boys in glorious CGI.

I thought we had heard the last of Doc when the new series started on the BBC, but I was pleasantly surprised at his few 'appearances' - in the Doctor's sketchbook alongside the other incarnations when he's been memory wiped, a reference to Magnar in the Time War, and that joke about the jacket with the big stupid question mark. (YEAH I was the Doc at Halloween in Fourth Grade, I don't give a fuck that costume rules).

uEVK4Ak.jpg

I wanted this toy so bad.

But I never dreamed we'd actually see him actually showing up as a character again (they must really be going after that American audience). It gives me a simultaneous warm tingle of nostalgia and a cold shot of "oh god I'm old."

ZduCDQm.jpg

Well! Any other fans of the CBS Doctor Who? Warning, this is a SPOILER ZONE, because I am physically incapable of not trying to find out everything about the 50th now. Fire away!

OCC: Can Dan Castellaneta do a good fake English accent? Yes, he's a talented voice actor, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Then again, for an American cartoon, there's a chance he'd have an American accent. Which would have interesting implications later down the line.

OCC: Can Dan Castellaneta do a good fake English accent? Yes, he's a talented voice actor, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. Then again, for an American cartoon, there's a chance he'd have an American accent. Which would have interesting implications later down the line.
OOC: I was basically imagining his Doc Brown from the Back to the Future animated series. And Alyson Court as Lydia from OTL's Beetlejuice series. Plus, they both worked for Nelvana in OTL.

OOC: Almost! Well, not really almost, it got as far as the above concept art for the Canadian Nelvana company. This is an in-ATL thread.
OOC: oh, i thought this was about something that was actually going to happen. silly me :p

I was a little young to see it when it first aired. I was only two at the time. However, I watched it on reruns when the Sci-Fi channel picked it up for awhile. I imagine some of the more hardcore British fans will be pissed when they hear this. Some of them have never liked the idea of "that American cartoon" being part of Doctor Who canon. I remember the flame wars back when the live action series rebooted about who was the real 8th Doctor and the pages of message board rants when references to him started showing up in the reboot.

Last edited:
The "Seven and 1/2" Doctor was always my favorite.

Here's the theme song. And the opening to Silver and Gold (quick before CBS pulls it again!).

When I was a kid, my parents bought me the talking K-9. I never got a flying Bessie though, but it'd be cool to hover those around in your backyard.

Magnar and Cellus mentioned regeneration on the show in the episode The Watcher Watches Us All, which is the only episode that takes place on Gallifrey (albeit it was just called "the Doctor's Planet" in the episode, and had crazy Dinosaurs and everyone idiotically flying police box Tardises around). It was a joke line from Magnar to Cellus about wanting to get his next regeneration over with. Cellus offered to help him with that, and I wonder if she did, because we never saw Magnar again in the series (I know he was in the comics and novel, I'm joking obviously).

I just went on TWoP, and the BBC fans are freaking out. I mean, the current Doctor is the 10th, and has referred to himself as such, so the 10 Doctors are "accounted for." They did the same thing when the sketchbook-thing happen. The Tardis Wiki is still under the impression that the CBS Doctor is "non-canon" based on some reference to him as an Alternate Doctor (along with the Shalka Doctor and the Comic Relief Doctors) in one of the BBC novels.

I like calling him the "Seven and Half" Doctor, because we never saw the Seven-to-Eight regeneration and there's an old fan theory that this Doctor was on the run from Magnar and Cellus because he was an abhorrent regeneration.

I think that the third season's A Trip to the Moon also contained the first joke about Hillary Clinton being President in The Future. The Future in this case being 2012 (20 years after the episode's air date), where we also had moon cities. Moon cities with secret tunnels filled with ancient astronaut Silurians.

For what it's worth, there's also this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalka_Doctor

The actor, Richard Grant also played an incarnation of the Doctor in Rowan Atkinson's 'Curse of Fatal Death', and is currently playing 'The Great Intelligence' or the human incarnation of same in the this year's series. That's what... a threefer?

They're both pulled, it seems.
OOC: No, seriously, both of them are unavailable. Unless that was the joke?

OOC: The URLs are: youtube.com/watch?v=NotAreAlL1nk ("Not a real link") and youtube.com/watch?v=ALs0NotAreAlL1nk ("Also not a real link"). I wanted the links to be obviously fake if you read them.

Sadly, it appears no one has actually made a cartoon Doctor intro.