Crusader Kings III

Can someone tell me why I should get CK3 as opposed to just play CK2?
It's in that hazy grey where there a ton of small improvements in 3, but 2 still is still more fleshed out having been released for so much longer. The gap is narrowing.
Basically what The Gunslinger said.

Going a bit into more detail, CK3 comparatively lacks content compared to CK2. However, there is a vast improvement in terms of graphics and mechanics: there is a lot more to do with culture and religion than back in CK2 for example. In terms of play style, I also find RP works better in CK3 than it did in CK2.

If you're looking at the game purely from a content POV, sticking with CK2 for now isn't necessarilly bad. But CK3 will be getting better and better as expansions come out.

Agreed, CK3 is much wider in terms of new QoL improvements, UI, customizable features, and modding capabilities. But it’s also incredibly shallow at this point and the base mechanics just feel plain unsatisfying to me compared to CK2. Especially the warfare, which is basically just wack-a-mole over and over again, which sucks.

Sorry if I derailed the thread asking about how CK3 is compared for CK2. Maybe I'll just wait for a few more DLCs then make the switch.
Thanks for the info!

Sorry if I derailed the thread asking about how CK3 is compared for CK2.
Don't worry, I think it's probably a question many people ask themselves when they have CK2 and are curious about how it compares to CK3.
Plus, if I am honest, I was like that when CK3 was originally announced. It's only after trying the game that I decided to get it and not stick to CK2... even if I probably would go back on the latter from time to time.

Sorry if I derailed the thread asking about how CK3 is compared for CK2. Maybe I'll just wait for a few more DLCs then make the switch.
Thanks for the info!
Missing out some features like Viceroyalties, trade republics, horse lords, Chinese interaction etc that the devs felt crap, but where the equivalent features are present, they are generally more fleshed out and superior to their CK2 counterparts.I suspect it will be a very long while till the missing features will be all fleshed out given the devs are pumping out dlcs featuring mechanic changes at sluggish pace.

I miss being able to start at custon dates, and some mods like Game of Thrones haven't made the jump to ck3 yet, but beyond that, I really haven't touched Ck2 since CK3 launched.

The one Mod I am waiting on is After the End. That's been the only reason I have loaded CK2 since 3 came out.
The open beta came out for CK3 like five or six months back, but it's not on the workshop yet. Should be available on the Fan Fork Twitter page. Played it for a bit, it's a good port and the map looks really great. They've also updated some lore a bit, like the Wisconsin Norse are a little more faux-Viking rather than being a direct Old Norse religion like in the CK2 version. Places like Alaska and the Arctic are in there, plus a lot of South America too IIRC. Pretty neat.

Last edited:
The one Mod I am waiting on is After the End.
It's definitely one of the mods I am waiting the most for in CK3.

I also hope the Game of Thrones mod comes out soon.

Finally, I think there was a question of porting Geheimnisnacht as well from CK2 to CK3. But I haven't heard about it in a while...

I've started playing with the Princes of Darkness Mod, I have to say that I like doing the Vampire Masquerade in the Middle Ages instead of the Modern Era.

IhyLmMy.png

something i'm working on (built on "oriental empires")

may not ever see the light of day online, but it's fun to watch in observer

The Game of Thrones mod will be getting a public beta release on April 14th. Should only have the Robert's Rebellion bookmark to my understanding in that Beta... But what's tease in this trailer looks very promising.

The Game of Thrones mod will be getting a public beta release on April 14th. Should only have the Robert's Rebellion bookmark to my understanding in that Beta... But what's tease in this trailer looks very promising.
Me: At last…’looks at Warhammer’. Will you follow me, one last time?
Eddard: Yes.
Jon: Yes
Hoster: Yes
Quellon: Yes
Tywin: Maybe.
Me: …good enough. Come! We have chests to cave in and rubies to spill!

Me: At last…’looks at Warhammer’. Will you follow me, one last time?
Eddard: Yes.
Jon: Yes
Hoster: Yes
Quellon: Yes
Tywin: Maybe.
Me: …good enough. Come! We have chests to cave in and rubies to spill!
I'm planning on playing Tywin first. I wonder if its possible to get Jaime off the kingsguard.

Newest Dev Diary is out.

It's almost entirely about the new regency system. And that looks frankly fantastic as there is a whole "balance of power" mechanic between the liege and regent that will be at play. The more the regent has power, the more dangerous he can be.

I advise you to read the Dev Diary for yourself because it's pretty detailed and I'm not sure I'd get all the details right.

Another thing is that, in terms of modding, this new regency system has actually opened the possibility to create Diarchies or similar systems. So Spartan dual kingship? Naming a co-emperor? Crowning your heir while you're alive? I bet these are going to be fleshed out after this! Hell, with some mods interested on Republican governments, why not Rome's two consuls? Or others systems I can't think of!

There are also two other things not related to Regencies in the Dev Diary. For one, new graphical assets in terms of looks: new clothes, new accessories, and mustaches.

The other thing is that we have a road map of DLCs to come. We'll get Tours and Tournaments in May, Wards & Wardens in the third quarter of the year... And a fourth DLC named Legacy of Persia in the final quarter. Now that's gonna please all fans of Persian history.

I'm planning on playing Tywin first. I wonder if its possible to get Jaime off the kingsguard.
I remember my last ck2 game of thrones go as Tywin it was great. I mobilized so quickly and kicked the Reachers teeth in that the rebellion was a bit of a stomp. Jamie got burned but them the breaks dumb kid should not have taken the white cloak without permission.
every time there was a rebellion of sorts for any stupid reasons I was in the Reach bullying people, taking lands it was fun.

course then some stupid noble tried to get me imprisoned on trumped up charges so naturally I rebelled and did the smart thing of stay in the West, let armies come to me and then kick their teeth in against all Westeros. I eventually died in the fighting but it was glorious how much ass kicking was going on.
Like I had fucking tricked the surviving Kingsguard that had killed Ned to come to the West so I could kill them, got Lyanna invited back into the West and thus married to Robert and the blasted idiot tried to arrest ME? ME? I won him his blasted war and gave him vengance!

Robert essentially became the second mad king cause of health penalties and drunk nonsense and going deranged, so I had an alliance of Tyrion/ Edmure(married Cersei to him) /Willias to rebel cause he kept doing stuff like murdering their wives and kids and siblings for no reason.

and thus Tyrion King of the West (reach and Riverlands) was born! then the next war I bullied the 5 year old on the iron throne to steal back the Crown of the West.

What was funny is that when Edmure eventually died Stupid Cersei tried to to build up an Adventurers claim on the West when I was allied to her fucking kids? she eventually moved to kingslanding presumably in universe to build up money and support to invade me.
So naturally when I declared war on the Iron throne again they arrested Cersei and then executed her. It was funny as anything.

Last edited: