Crazy sequels that never happened: what if they did?

I mean it actually wouldn't be that hard, most of the plot and setting were original to the movie. Just replace "mutants" with "Replicants", given there are off world colonies in Blade Runner.
Plus make sense, like defective or mutated replicants. Plus the debate if Quaid was a replicant or no all along

Doing "Magnum Force" with Clint, even in SF, would have been fine--provided they renamed the character. (Moving it to L.A., or New Orleans, or somewhere, would have been a good idea, IMO.)... I never got that feeling, myself. Maybe because I hadn't seen "Joe" then... I felt as if Calahan was inside the boundaries of the law, just, & the issue was obsessiveness more than vigilantism. Contrary to "Death Wish".
Fwiw, John Millius wrote the script for Magnum Force, so there is some dedicated libertarian ideas at work there, maybe a little ACAB. But to me it's so obvious that it was also a very convenient storyline to do, to walk back the low level moral panic the first movie engendered. (Consider: The French Connection made almost a third more at the box office than Dirty Harry did, just two months earlier; while I do think French Connection is the better film, I wager that disparity in ticket sales is actually down to people turning away from the message Dirty Harry was loudly sending out, politically speaking.)

That also might have allowed "Tightrope" to be a sequel--& putting alt-Calahan on that character arc would have been really interesting.
Tightrope is great and weird. The fact Eastwood did it speaks to what he's capable of, though the conceptual leap of "guy who kills Scorpio and throws away badge in fit of disgust, then goes and starts family, becomes widower, investigates swinger sex," that'd automatically up the trashy quotient in the storytelling.
My trouble with Bullitt driving anything but the Mach 1 is the conflict between the cool & the macho. An MGB has the cool factor, but it's not tough enough. The 911, ditto. The '77-'80 Firebird or Camaro isn't cool enough. A '70 or '71 'cuda is a bit too brutal, but might work...
Stock vehicles, I can see this. But counterpoint: Robert Downey Jr's personal modded '74 BMW, https://www.instagram.com/p/CDzBFZfDX6M/?utm_source=ig_embed
Come to think of it, this might be a time to steal one of the "Dirty Harry" sequel scripts...;)Most of them would work reasonably well as a "Bullitt" sequel, too, IMO.
That might be the impetus if they'd put a deal like this together, and I can see an unproduced Magnum Force script being reskinned for a Bullitt sequel working well; as long as it's rewritten to take account of Bullitt being, well, almost the complete opposite of Callahan's personality.

Otherwise, what is the great political paranoia cop thriller of this or later eras? Nighthawks, not really about political corruption. Maybe the first two Lethal Weapons or Die Hard 2, but only if they'd been more serious movies. Certainly means there was room for a Bullitt 2 to leave it's mark if that was the direction the story went in.

Plus make sense, like defective or mutated replicants. Plus the debate if Quaid was a replicant or no all along
I looked it up, turns out I was incorrect: as it happens Total Recall wasn't going to be a sequel to Blade Runner, it was going to receive a sequel... in the form of Minority Report! Though it does open up an interesting idea for a pop culture TL where the three movies are a directly linked trilogy.

Fwiw, John Millius wrote the script for Magnum Force, so there is some dedicated libertarian ideas at work there, maybe a little ACAB. But to me it's so obvious that it was also a very convenient storyline to do, to walk back the low level moral panic the first movie engendered. (Consider: The French Connection made almost a third more at the box office than Dirty Harry did, just two months earlier; while I do think French Connection is the better film, I wager that disparity in ticket sales is actually down to people turning away from the message Dirty Harry was loudly sending out, politically speaking.)
You may well be right. I didn't get that sense, myself. It does explain why Calahan was so much more "regulation" in it than before, tho.

Tightrope is great and weird. The fact Eastwood did it speaks to what he's capable of, though the conceptual leap of "guy who kills Scorpio and throws away badge in fit of disgust, then goes and starts family, becomes widower, investigates swinger sex," that'd automatically up the trashy quotient in the storytelling.
Oh, no, I mean "Dirty Harry" is a one-off, with "Tightrope" tied to the sequels' character: maybe even start with "Tightrope" to introduce him, then go to "Magnum Force" or something, with a different spin on it. (Setting that in N.O., given the amount of corruption common there, wouldn't be out of place.)

Stock vehicles, I can see this. But counterpoint: Robert Downey Jr's personal modded '74 BMW, https://www.instagram.com/p/CDzBFZfDX6M/?utm_source=ig_embed
I could see a mild custom being used, but it'd have to be pretty close to stock, because I don't see Bullitt being a rodder. He might drive something not totally stock, but I don't see him taking (say) a stock '68 Dart and dropping in a 340 and fitting a Jag axle; that's just not who he is. (Or, at least, we never see that. McQueen might, but Bullitt wouldn't.)
That might be the impetus if they'd put a deal like this together, and I can see an unproduced Magnum Force script being reskinned for a Bullitt sequel working well; as long as it's rewritten to take account of Bullitt being, well, almost the complete opposite of Callahan's personality.

Otherwise, what is the great political paranoia cop thriller of this or later eras? Nighthawks, not really about political corruption. Maybe the first two Lethal Weapons or Die Hard 2, but only if they'd been more serious movies. Certainly means there was room for a Bullitt 2 to leave it's mark if that was the direction the story went in.
I don't imagine any of the "Dirty Harry" sequels being used without a serious rewrite, just taking the basic idea(s).

I kind of like the idea of putting a twist on Watergate with the Vaughn character at its center. "Parallax View" with a new spin? "Executive Action"? (Yeah, it'd have to not be made as OTL, first.)

Last edited:
but yeah, there is essentially no justification for 4 and 5, they're shoddy cash grabs

I heard somewhere that the fourth one (Sudden Impact) happened because of a fan vote. They voted on what old character they would like to see make a return to the silver screen, and they picked Harry Callahan.

Not quite a sequel, but I keep thinking: the premise of the original 'Forest Gump' movie was that a total nitwit kept inadvertantly showing up at the wrong place at the wrong time and thus played a part in some key moments of history... The history of the sixties, seventies and eighties that is since the movie was made in the early 90's and released 1994.

Now we are in 2021 and since the events of the movie close to 30 years have passed, which is close to the amount of time the movie played in. Of course, even by 2021 standards neither the nineties, the early 2000 nor the 2010s came close to the mythical ring the sixties or even seventies had.

Still.....

So my idea:

Take a new average joe nitwit Instead of a simpleton, let's make him some kind of idiot savant: a computer wizard with close to no social insights. Now have him live through the computer-crazed Clinton-era nineties, the Enron/dotcom bust, 9-11, Afghanistan, Iraq, facebook, the housing bubble, the Obama years, Trump, the confederate statues row, BLM and the pandemic. Without failing he always manages to show up at key moments in history and shape them. I don't have a complete list of feats, so feel free to suggest some.

Last edited:
I kind of like the idea of putting a twist on Watergate with the Vaughn character at its center. "Parallax View" with a new spin? "Executive Action"? (Yeah, it'd have to not be made as OTL, first.)
My feeling is if this film had been made, it's a no-brainer to bring back Vaughan and go pedal to the metal on post-Watergate stuff.

I'm a little amazed nobody back then ever did a real cop procedural/political paranoia thriller mashup.

Not quite a sequel, but I keep thinking: the premise of the original 'Forest Gump' movie was that a total nitwit kept inadvertantly showing up at the wrong place at the wrong time and thus played a part in some key moments of history...

Harking back to my previous post: here are some ideas about a new Forest Gump 1995-2021:

=} Ends up in Seattle in the early 90's. Gets drunk with a young Kurt Cobain, declines an offer to smoke some particularly foul drug after taking a sniff and remarking 'dude, smells like White Spirit, really. Kurty goes with it.

=} After being let go by Microsoft, applies for a new job with a Wall Street analytics company. Ends up in Manhattan on the morning of september 11th 2001, then while waiting for he office to open suddenly decides 'What the F....!' and leaves, gives his worn-out parka to a young tourist that is shivering even more than he does.

=} In Iraq, writes a little computer program to help his fellow soldiers assign drone srikes. After being discharged, makes the program into a Blackberry app to but since he can't use Army drones, replaces them with brightly colored birds.

My feeling is if this film had been made, it's a no-brainer to bring back Vaughan and go pedal to the metal on post-Watergate stuff.

I'm a little amazed nobody back then ever did a real cop procedural/political paranoia thriller mashup.
Fer sher. Especially considering how paranoid films were at the time, everything from "Billy Jack" to "Capricorn One".

Loved to a see a sequel to "The Italian Job" 1969

download (1).jpg

What happens to the crew on the Bedford VAL?

Would they do another job somewhere?, NYC?, London etc ?

Harking back to my previous post: here are some ideas about a new Forest Gump 1995-2021:

=} Ends up in Seattle in the early 90's. Gets drunk with a young Kurt Cobain, declines an offer to smoke some particularly foul drug after taking a sniff and remarking 'dude, smells like White Spirit, really. Kurty goes with it.

=} After being let go by Microsoft, applies for a new job with a Wall Street analytics company. Ends up in Manhattan on the morning of september 11th 2001, then while waiting for he office to open suddenly decides 'What the F....!' and leaves, gives his worn-out parka to a young tourist that is shivering even more than he does.

=} In Iraq, writes a little computer program to help his fellow soldiers assign drone srikes. After being discharged, makes the program into a Blackberry app to but since he can't use Army drones, replaces them with brightly colored birds.

Winston Groom wrote a sequel: Gump & Co. I remember once reading about plans to make a movie also, but that only goes till 1995

Loved to a see a sequel to "The Italian Job" 1969
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You would ruin that fabulous, classic ending?:eek::eek::eek: For shame!

For the record, tho, there was a proposal to make one.:eek::eek: And some college students (IIRC) figured out a way they could get themselves out of their fix without getting outside help.

I would burn at the stake anybody who actually made a sequel.:mad::mad:

Now, there is a film that cries out for a sequel, IMO, tho AFAIK nobody ever contemplated it: "Silverado". IMO, you'd have to have made it pretty close to when "Silverado" was made, because pretty soon after, everybody in it was a huge star & your budget just for salaries would have been insane.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Winston Groom wrote a sequel: Gump & Co. I remember once reading about plans to make a movie also, but that only goes till 1995
I heard Groom talk once about dealing with the studio and why there is no film of Gump and Co.
He just sold the rights to the first book.
The studio promised part of the profits .
Yet despite being one of the year most successful movies in ticket sells, according to the accountants , the film did not earn a profit.
So Groom never got a check.
The day after he had talked to one of the accountants , being told it had not earn a profit, some one from Hollywood contacted him about the rights to the second book.
He repeated what he was told and said that he would not dream of selling a sequel to a unprofitable movie .

Not a true sequel but the producers of the 60 film "Ice Station Zebra" had planed to make it a thematic sequel to "Gun of Naverone '.
They wanted Gregory Peck as the Sub Captain and David Niven as the British spy "Mr Jones" .