Crazy sequels that never happened: what if they did?

Bullitt '78.

I specifically choose 1977/78, as that was the era Steve McQueen should have been keeping a commercial iron in the fire while working to release his unwise foray into arthouse cinema, Enemy of The People, as well as being the timeframe his former collaborator (on other movies, not the original Bullitt) Sam Peckinpah made and released Convoy.

One Bullitt sequel, a Peckinpah Bullitt, a last hurrah for McQueen as box office leading man; simply leave the Convoy script sitting around for Stallone to make in the eighties, or Swayze in the nineties. In a world where we actually got 5 goddam Dirty Harry movies. Not much to ask for, is it?

Bullitt '78.

I specifically choose 1977/78, as that was the era Steve McQueen should have been keeping a commercial iron in the fire while working to release his unwise foray into arthouse cinema, Enemy of The People, as well as being the timeframe his former collaborator (on other movies, not the original Bullitt) Sam Peckinpah made and released Convoy.

One Bullitt sequel, a Peckinpah Bullitt, a last hurrah for McQueen as box office leading man; simply leave the Convoy script sitting around for Stallone to make in the eighties, or Swayze in the nineties. In a world where we actually got 5 goddam Dirty Harry movies. Not much to ask for, is it?

What about the car chase though?

Surely he couldn't drive one of these pea shooter Muzzies?

download.jpg

They'd have to make it in 1979 at the earliest so they's use one of these Muzzies.

download (1).jpg

Trouble is, would Stevie Q's health allow this?

View attachment 636300

View attachment 636304

Trouble is, would Stevie Q's health allow this?
You mean, actually driving either of those? :openedeyewink: I see him having a stroke at the idea.;)

IMO, keeping the '68 'stang makes a lot of sense (presuming the producers could find one).

Would he be healthy enough to finish shooting a '78 picture? I'd say so. He managed "Tom Horn" & "The Hunter" for an '80 release. (I'll leave off speculating if TTL would have butterflies enough to make him more, or less, healthy than OTL.)

Battlestar Galactica the fight for Earth.

Galactica and the rag tag fleet find the Voyager probe out past the Ort Cloud and realising Earth is in no state to protect itself divert to the closest star system while contacting the UN Security Council and working with it's member to secretly fortify the Sol System in the opening act of the film. The middle act is some 10 years later when Cylon scouts are encountered in deep space by the Earth Defence force destroyer Black Swan. After a desperate fight it Black Swan limps to Galactica at Alpha Centauri where the warning is passed on by her dying Captain Cmdr Walker. The final act is a Battle of Midway style engagement near Jupitar where Galactica and the still relatively small Earth Defence Force destroy a Cylon force of 6 Basestars and the invasion fleet retreats back into deep space to lick its wounds. The last scene is the new Imperious Leader turning to its council and saying "So the final war has begun. Send in the clones."

That still sounds way better then the end of NBSG.

I was thinking of it more as an alternative to Galactica 1980. If not a film then maybe a three part mini series,
Just about anything would be better. :eek::rolleyes:

My question is, how do the producers afford it? Or do you propose the entire season budget go into three or four two-hour episodes to tie up loose ends?

If you're willing to bend the canon a bit, what about an ending where Galactica never approaches Earth & the fleet is destroyed en route? (I was never a particular fan of the "lost tribe of Israel" angle. )

Take the series budget and go for a high quality finish that still leaves the door open for a what happens next series at some future point.

I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the whole Ancient Aliens/Chariots of the Gods angle but there's enough mythology about it to play around with and if you say the 13th Tribe were Atlantis it just about works.

At least it's better than the idea that thousands of space faring people would decide to just go off and be subsistence farmers or hunter gatherers with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

Bullitt '78.

With Stallone maybe playing the bad guy?

Take the series budget and go for a high quality finish that still leaves the door open for a what happens next series at some future point.
That works for me. That leaves room for future TVMs & a restart someday. (Not, necessarily, a reboot, but more "BSG:TNG".)

I don't recall the merchandising being really good. I'd personally have loved to own a plastic kit, or a scale diecast, & preferably both, of Galatica. She was cooler than Enterprise (which I recall vaguely building a kit of), up there with Thunderbird 2 (which I did have a diecast of, once).
I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the whole Ancient Aliens/Chariots of the Gods angle but there's enough mythology about it to play around with and if you say the 13th Tribe were Atlantis it just about works.

At least it's better than the idea that thousands of space faring people would decide to just go off and be subsistence farmers or hunter gatherers with nothing but the clothes on their backs.
My problem with it is simple: if Earth, ever, was part of a spacefaring people, why isn't there any (genuine, confirmed) record of it? The "ancient landing sites" angle is too flimsy. ("Stargate SG-1" solved it reasonably well, if you ignore the stupidity of more than one evolution posited to explain the Ancients. :rolleyes: )

It makes much more sense to me the 12 Tribes had a legendary homeworld that isn't Earth. Even a "13th Tribe", in that connection, wouldn't be out of the question. (That all record of it has disappeared, OTOH, is impossible... As Spinrad pointed out in an Asimov's essay, once you have printing, destroying all knowledge of anything is damnably hard; by the time you've got a spacefaring species...:rolleyes: )

The original idea for a sequel that Sylvester Stallone and John Alvidson had for Rocky II was that after his fight with Apollo Creed Rocky is elected the Mayor of Philadelphia and he is taken advantage by the corrupt politicians around him and then he is thrown out of office.
Rocky then has to fight Apollo Creed again to get money to pay back the city treasury that was looted when he was the Mayor or he would go to prison.

Day Of The Jackal Part II: The Canadian Contract

Lester Pearson gets REALLY pissed off about Vive Le Quebec Libre.
Nah- the 2nd JACKAL movie comes out in the late 1990’s & is called THE NEW YORK CONTRACT. Seems
that Bin Laden has decided on a plan to terrorize America. Although some of his associates call on him to hijack some passenger jets & crash them into NYC‘s World Trade Center, BL rejects the idea as too
complicated to successfully pull off. Instead, JACKAL 2 breathlessly reveals, we now know BL intended to
have the prominent New York real estate developer Fred, & his son Donald, Trump blown to bits on their yacht. Harrison Ford played the CIA agent who has to stop the plan- or else- & his partner, a most capable
Israeli agent, was played by Scarlett Johansson. A young Josh Brolin played the new Jackal- who turns out to be the first Jackal’s son- whom is paid $500 million by BL to set the bombs on the yacht. The suspense ratchets up as the movie precedes, as it seems nothing can stop Jackal 2(who @ one point declares he’d unhesitatingly kill half the world if it was necessary to get his hands on all that money). A previously unknown actor named Robert Downey Jr played the young Donald, & Sidney Poitier had a brief role as NYC’s Commissioner of Police. One of the biggest money-makers of the
1990s(though film critic Roger Ebert in his review said that he doubted that anyone would ever
consider the Trumps so important that they’d be worth killing).

Last edited:
All four sequels were a mistake, IMO, given the ending of the first one.
I actually do think the 3rd one, with Tyne Daly as his female detective partner, is really good. It has actual character development for Eastwood, but yeah, there is essentially no justification for 4 and 5, they're shoddy cash grabs (though at least 5 is kind of a meta joke, in that Callahan is a celebrity cop trying to solve celebrity murders. But that doesn't make it good.)

There's a political rationale for 2, IMO. Magnum Force being an anti-vigilante story was obviously some kind of damage control for the Malpaso Company, WB, and Clint's reputation in general, to make the public realise Dirty Harry wasn't Joe.
What about the car chase though?

Surely he couldn't drive one of these pea shooter Muzzies?

View attachment 636300

Heresy for US gearheads, I know, but... something European. The whole point of the Bullitt character in the first film is he's not an ordinary American cop, he's a San Francisco dick inspired by French thrillers, he has a cool euro-girlfriend, they go to jazz clubs. He wears a turtleneck.

A lefthand drive BMW 3.0 CS or Jensen Interceptor. Both a few years out of production by '77, though plausible choices for a guy who didn't want to go to something like a Corvette to replace the flatback after the first film, but had decided the early seventies Shelby Mustangs were getting too big (and the BWM in particular is a good choice after the first oil shock.) (Apparently McQueen in real life, when not driving old family clunkers he could carry his motorbike gear in, mostly drove Porsches, Ferraris and the like.)
They'd have to make it in 1979 at the earliest

Would he be healthy enough to finish shooting a '78 picture? I'd say so. He managed "Tom Horn" & "The Hunter" for an '80 release. (I'll leave off speculating if TTL would have butterflies enough to make him more, or less, healthy than OTL.)
The big gap in his filmography is '74 to '78, and the major thriller he actually was very close to committing to filming in '76 was William Friedkin's Sorcerer (see the section under casting).

He and Peckinpah collaborating on a Bullitt sequel anytime after '75 is a really good bet for both to have one last critical and commercial hit.

With Stallone maybe playing the bad guy?
A Bullitt sequel in that era just has to be a post-Watergate thriller, I'm thinking a repeat of Bullitt's encounters with Robert Vaughan's ambitious politician in the first movie (a character who IMO almost certainly was some kind of negative commentary on RFK, maybe also a throwback to young Nixon in Californian politics.)

Stallone as some kind of neutral-evil operative guy serving political masters Bullitt is up against would've been cool (like the inverse of his character in Nighthawks), but I don't think he's ever played an antagonist.

I actually do think the 3rd one, with Tyne Daly as his female detective partner, is really good. It has actual character development for Eastwood, but yeah, there is essentially no justification for 4 and 5, they're shoddy cash grabs (though at least 5 is kind of a meta joke, in that Callahan is a celebrity cop trying to solve celebrity murders. But that doesn't make it good.)
I don't think they're all bad films. They're not, & I especially liked Tyne Daly as his partner. I mean, when you look at what happens in "Dirty Harry" & look at that ending, it's pretty clear in my mind he wants out of the game entirely.

Doing "Magnum Force" with Clint, even in SF, would have been fine--provided they renamed the character. (Moving it to L.A., or New Orleans, or somewhere, would have been a good idea, IMO.)

That also might have allowed "Tightrope" to be a sequel--& putting alt-Calahan on that character arc would have been really interesting. :cool:

There's a political rationale for 2, IMO. Magnum Force being an anti-vigilante story was obviously some kind of damage control for the Malpaso Company, WB, and Clint's reputation in general, to make the public realise Dirty Harry wasn't Joe.
I never got that feeling, myself. Maybe because I hadn't seen "Joe" then... I felt as if Calahan was inside the boundaries of the law, just, & the issue was obsessiveness more than vigilantism. Contrary to "Death Wish".
Heresy for US gearheads, I know, but... something European. The whole point of the Bullitt character in the first film is he's not an ordinary American cop, he's a San Francisco dick inspired by French thrillers, he has a cool euro-girlfriend, they go to jazz clubs. He wears a turtleneck.

A lefthand drive BMW 3.0 CS or Jensen Interceptor. Both a few years out of production by '77, though plausible choices for a guy who didn't want to go to something like a Corvette to replace the flatback after the first film, but had decided the early seventies Shelby Mustangs were getting too big (and the BWM in particular is a good choice after the first oil shock.) (Apparently McQueen in real life, when not driving old family clunkers he could carry his motorbike gear in, mostly drove Porsches, Ferraris and the like.)
I don't disagree Bullitt had that strain in his personalty. I just think, if you're going to do it, you'd need to have set it up in the first place with him driving a 356 or 911 or something, rather than the Mach 1. You might be able to get at it by seeing the '68 wrecked at the start of the sequel with Bullitt going & buying a new car (& I see that being a used car, myself, given a cop's salary), & then you can examine if he's changed any from '68, & suggest maybe he has by what he buys.

My trouble with Bullitt driving anything but the Mach 1 is the conflict between the cool & the macho. An MGB has the cool factor, but it's not tough enough. The 911, ditto. The '77-'80 Firebird or Camaro isn't cool enough. A '70 or '71 'cuda is a bit too brutal, but might work... (It's also so Gibbsesque...:rolleyes: )

If I thought it fit him well enough, I'd contemplate putting him in The California Kid.;)
The big gap in his filmography is '74 to '78, and the major thriller he actually was very close to committing to filming in '76 was William Friedkin's Sorcerer (see the section under casting).

He and Peckinpah collaborating on a Bullitt sequel anytime after '75 is a really good bet for both to have one last critical and commercial hit.
That works for me. Getting Peckinpah on board would be a good call.

Come to think of it, this might be a time to steal one of the "Dirty Harry" sequel scripts...;) Most of them would work reasonably well as a "Bullitt" sequel, too, IMO.