Counterpart

I heard this series is about OTL and an ATL with a PoD in the late 1980s. I was wondering if anyone has seen it and if it is good? How different is the ATL by now? Is it worth buying on Amazon Video?

Deleted member 92121

It is VERY good.

The premise (Explained early in episode 01 and expanded upon through the series) is that in the 1980's german scientists caused an quantum accident that created an alternate world, identical in every way (we don't know if that world is outr or the other one). The result is that the two worlds are connected through an tunnel in Berlin, and a secret international organization keeps the tunnel an secret and manages relations between both sides.

Differences in the two TL's are actually quite interesting points. Worldbuilding spoilers ahead. 9/11 didn't happen in the Alternate world, however in the late 1990's a massive flu pandemic killed about 5% of the world population. This is a major change that resulted in the Alternate timeline being significantly behind in many technologies( smartphones are not a thing), while being ahead in others (medicine is WAY more advanced). The alternate timeline is also very paranoid, because, considering nothing nearly as major as the flu hit our world, and the POD was still so young, some suspect the flu might have been an biological attack from our world.

The series is excellent, and deals with themes like Espionage, identity, diplomacy, etc, in clever ways. The incredible cast helps.

I've watched a few episodes, and I agree...it is VERY good. Thanks.
Just curious, how do they film the scenes where both Howard Silks are onscreen simultaneously?

I saw a couple more episodes...J. K. Simmons really is one of the best actors I've ever seen.

Watching second season now.
My problem with the plot of the ATL to infiltrate OTL with children doppelgangers is, of course, there shouldn't be any doppelgangers under about 30 years old (otherwise a great show).