Challenge: Denmark

Make Denmark keep Holstein-Lauenburg and Scania to this date.

How to do it i am not sure. For Holstein maybe if Denmark din not break The November Constitution.
that would not trigger the Second Schleswig War, and Denmark could keep Holstein?
For Scania, i have no idea other than it was along time ago a part of the Danish realm.
Maybe let Denmark win some of the wars it had with Sweden :p

This will of course make Denmark bigger, and Sweden will loose some of it population.

Last edited:
To keep Scania, the Sund Toll would have had to be either abolished or drastically reduced, at least waived for the great powers such as England and The Netherlands. OTL it was in their interest for Denmark and Sweden to control seperate parts of Øresund. That's also why an outright annexation of Denmark by Sweden wouldn't have been allowed to happen: Sweden would've become way too powerful.
So the POD there needs to be someone other than the construction-crazed Christian IV upon Denmark's throne.

Slesvig-Holsten is a different matter. I don't know if it COULD have been kept within the Danish kingdom indefinitely, because of the rise of German nationalism (and Danish, for that matter) in the middle of the 19th century. Not in its entirety, at least. OTL it was attempted to make Slesvig an integral part of Denmark itself, while keeping Holsten seperate - which didn't fly well at all.
A better solution might've been to keep the duchies united, but in the same kind of relationship with Denmark, as the Faroe Islands and Greenland have today: Limited autonomy. Then again, the duchies were part of Denmark solely because the Danish Monarch was the sovereign ruler of them. This would have caused trouble, as it did OTL, as Denmark became democratic in 1849, as you'd essentially have one Kingdom, but two forms of government.

I'm....not entirely seeing a way out of THAT mess, tbh.

...and yes, this thread needs to be moved to "before 1900"

Was kinda uncertain where this topic was supposed to be.
For this to happen it need to be done before 1900, but it should be to this date after 1900.

So if someone is able to move it to before 1900 please do :)