Byng Bam But

Grey Wolf

Donor
One thing that has always interested me about the Seven Years War is that the French loss of its Canadian territories happened several years in. I'd like to explore the idea that the war ends earlier, and thus France holds onto those lands...

20th May 1756
A lucky shot from the French, possibly ricocheting upwards, takes out Admiral Byng whilst his flagship, the Revenge, is motionless. With the British fleet looking like it is about to take a battering Captain Gardiner, in consultation with First Lieutenant Gough, decides to resume the original plan of action and close the French. No indication is given to second-in-command Templeton West that Byng is dead, and the two sections of the British fleet attack La Galissonniere's French fleet.

The result is a hard-fought, and costly, but resounding victory. The French are defeated and forced back towards France, whilst Gardiner reports to Templeton West that he is now in command, and a quick council of war decides upon a landing at Minorca.

Richelieu is defeated in the coming days, and Mahon relieved. After retiring into the interior, Richelieu surrenders when it becomes obvious that he is cut off.

Neat.

You probably butterfly the American Revolution. First, less war debt that Britain has to pay off. Second, the French Menace to the North means the colonies are less bugged by having red coats around and more willing to compromise on figuring out some way to pay for defense.

Also this is a boost for Pitt the Elder and means he may have a chance to address the American question while still at the height of his powers.

The French took Minorca as a bargaining chip against expected losses in the Americas. If the British keep hold of it or do better than OTL in Germany in the early years there's even less chance for France to retain Canada.

Grey Wolf

Donor
The French took Minorca as a bargaining chip against expected losses in the Americas. If the British keep hold of it or do better than OTL in Germany in the early years there's even less chance for France to retain Canada.
My thought is that the war will end before French Canada comes under attack properly, at least in the sense of Quebec and the Saint Lawrence as opposed to the remnants of Acadia.

If the war ends earlier, then France keeps those greater territories. It will no doubt lose somewhere else, for losing, in consequence.

What makes Britain decide to end the war if everything's going well though, rather than settling its North American dispute once and for all? I suppose there are other concessions France could make, but a more likely path to retaining French Canada would probably be a more successful France in the early years, rather than a less successful one. IIRC, there was a point when Britain came close to opening peace talks after the fall of Minorca and the surrender of the Duke of Cumberland in Hanover.