Balloon Wars

Grey Wolf

Donor
[This idea arose from a discussion me and my mate were having last night, after reading all the Chinese balloon stuff, but this discussion here relates to 18th and 19th century balloons]

Can balloons fight balloons? I don't know any occasion when they did, but did they?

One assumes that balloons are governed primarily by the wind, but that tactics to at least change direction, height, and speed exist for a short while.

So could balloon-on-balloon warfare take on a similar aspect to a sort of 3D ship of the line naval engagement?

I assume they would could have Marines armed with rifles, or potentially rockets. I don't know what happens to a balloon if you tried to fire a caronade from it? Archers would seem potentially useful, at least with fire arrows.

Could you try to board your enemy's balloon and take it?

Could you see fleets of balloons fighting overhead?

I believe there was a duel fought between a Frenchman and German in balloons in the late 19th century, if I remember correctly. Don't think it went well for the Frenchman.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I believe there was a duel fought between a Frenchman and German in balloons in the late 19th century, if I remember correctly. Don't think it went well for the Frenchman.a
A private duel or in the Franco-Prussian War? Would love to read more on this