As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

What's going on in the world of anime importing? Have there been more that have gone direct-to-video in the States, vs getting a shot on TV? What of shows like Dragon Ball, Gundam, or Tenchi Muyo?

Will Ranma last the same as OTL, or will the anime get extended to adapt more of the original manga?
Dragon Ball has not come to America yet because I wasn't sure who should be the one to import it.

Gundam and Tenchi Muyo are coming too, but again, I don't know who should bring those to the States.

Lupin III was mentioned before as a potential English dub for Fox unless you guys prefer someone else do it.

Dragon Ball has not come to America yet because I wasn't sure who should be the one to import it.

Gundam and Tenchi Muyo are coming too, but again, I don't know who should bring those to the States.

Lupin III was mentioned before as a potential English dub for Fox unless you guys prefer someone else do it.
How about FUNImation dub Lupin III

Pretty in
@Golden Darkness

How do you like the thread so far?
Interesting. Hopefully there more video games related stuff mentioned, like say these media giants buying up a game studio like EA or Activision.

As for anime, surely some of the other big companies want to get in on the importing business, or some smaller company is already focused on this niche. Don't know which companies would have formed now at this point. ADV Films, Funimation, Pioneer, Bandai, etc...

Of course, it won't get bigger until the release of DVD. Speaking of which, who is coming up with the new media formats?

Of course, it won't get bigger until the release of DVD. Speaking of which, who is coming up with the new media formats?
Sony is indeed coming out with the DVD soon.

I'm not sure who came out with the MiniDisc IOTL, but that's coming out too.

Another manufacturer, I don't know who, is trying to roll out a videocassette format smaller than VHS but with better picture resolution.

Yet another company is trying come up with a way to store movies into a SNES/Genesis style cartridge.

You did hint at Warner Bros. getting the dubbing rights to Dragon Ball, if only to give them another IP to work with since they don't own DC Comics or Hanna-Barbera.
I think that Gundam should go to New Line after the success of Robotech, while Disney and Fox should direct some of their anime dubbing crew to working on a Tenchi dub. Before you ask, this is because of Eda Clawthorne from The Owl House and her resemblance to Ryoko Hakubi.
I'd rather have DIC and Saban dub the show over Fox, since Inspector Gadget was spawned from the ruins of a "Lupin III in space" series back in the 80's. Maybe even make a Ulysses 31 reboot or a Mysterious Cities of Gold sequel to go along with this dub, while you're at it.

Even when they had no idea how to distribute anime in the states, Bandai would not let anyone distribute U.C gundam unless they had full control. As for Dragon ball, Saban would probably have to forsake Digimon for a couple years to get DBZ's dub running
Sony is indeed coming out with the DVD soon.

I'm not sure who came out with the MiniDisc IOTL, but that's coming out too.

Another manufacturer, I don't know who, is trying to roll out a videocassette format smaller than VHS but with better picture resolution.

Yet another company is trying come up with a way to store movies into a SNES/Genesis style cartridge.
Whoever making that cartridge format
might want to look out to NEC/Sandisk.

Here are a few queistons oldnavy.
1 Does Cedar have any IPs yet
2 Will Namco merger with Warner due to thery close realtions in this time. If so will happen in 2005 the year namco and bandia merger otl or will it happen earlyier
3 Will Ted turner build a theme park or buy funtime terico six kings or cedar fair

Even when they had no idea how to distribute anime in the states, Bandai would not let anyone distribute U.C gundam unless they had full control. As for Dragon ball, Saban would probably have to forsake Digimon for a couple years to get DBZ's dub running

Whoever making that cartridge format
might want to look out to NEC/Sandisk.

Are you saying NEC and Sandisk would be the ones that collaborate on a cartridge format?

So based on the suggestions:

Warner Bros. gets Dragon Ball Z.

20th Century-Fox gets Tenchi Muyo.

New Line: Gundam

Golden Harvest: Lupin III and Digimon

Last edited:
Are you saying NEC and Sandisk would be the ones that collaborate on a cartridge format?
Either them or Toshiba, the OTL inventors of Flash Memory.

As for anime, who will get these? Also, is Ghibli still working with the Jim Henson company?
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Ghost in the Shell
Slayers
Detective Conan

How much has the video game and computer world changed, aside from three companies having a solid userbase even in the 16-bit era? Disney own Atari, but do they have any first party brands? Was there any line of Atari computers?

What fares the
Commodore
Amiga
Apple
IBM-Compatibles

While we're on the subject of Anime dubs ITTL, I suggest Paramount dub (And maybe even help finance...) Neon Genesis Evangelion, because considering that ITTL still-a-subsidiary SEGA sponsered and co-funded/co-produced NGE IOTL, I figure Paramount would be a better choice than United Artists.

Plus if Bart Howard's estate wants too much money to keep "Fly Me To The Moon" in future releases of the anime later on, Mr. Anno might want to have Paramount help pay the house-sized (for EVERY episode, not the series as a whole, so x26) amount that the estate wants...

Last edited:
Who will have the Neon Genesis Evangelion distribution?
I propose that it be Fox, in addition to that they finish financing the production of the anime.