America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

dcharles

Banned
Anyone have any questions or what on with what’s coming next? I’m happy to accept input, commentary and so on :)
Couple points:

I like this timeline. I've read all the updates so far, and it's fun and engaging. And I get the idea that this is supposed to be an optimistic sort of timeline. That's good.

However, since the 60s (but especially since the 80s), a sizeable strain of the US right wing has shown itself to be impervious to and scornful of any type of reasoned discourse. Period. In their 1980s heyday, they managed to foist the mass delusion known as the Satanic Panic on the US culture at large.

Even if Udall is chummy with liberal elements of the Republican Party (which are still a thing ITTL), these people aren't going anywhere. They're just politically marginalized. The political marginalization will produce an equal and opposite reaction--somewhere. Whether that be a new party, President Morton Downey, Jr, or apocalyptic militias, it's going to happen.

Since true optimism recognizes the many bad things in the world, I think this timeline can still be optimistic while tackling that issue. Look forward to more.

Couple points:
I like this timeline. I've read all the updates so far, and it's fun and engaging. And I get the idea that this is supposed to be an optimistic sort of timeline. That's good.

However, since the 60s (but especially since the 80s), a sizeable strain of the US right wing has shown itself to be impervious to and scornful of any type of reasoned discourse. Period. In their 1980s heyday, they managed to foist the mass delusion known as the Satanic Panic on the US culture at large.

Even if Udall is chummy with liberal elements of the Republican Party (which are still a thing ITTL), these people aren't going anywhere. They're just politically marginalized. The political marginalization will produce an equal and opposite reaction--somewhere. Whether that be a new party, President Morton Downey, Jr, or apocalyptic militias, it's going to happen.

Since true optimism recognizes the many bad things in the world, I think this timeline can still be optimistic while tackling that issue. Look forward to more.
Regarding that strain of the US right wing... it's a big more complicated than that.

It was formed and came about as a result of developments, circumstances and reactions. Take for example how the Great Recession would be percieved in a world without 9/11. Without 9/11, the biggest event that would define the zeitgeist would be the Enron scandal and the subsequent other incidents of corporate chicanery. With these being the main news events that defined the American mainstream zeitgeist, this in turn affects how the Great Recession is viewed. It would not be viewed as this sudden crash of the economy, but the crescendo of a symphony of economy insanity... this creates a much longer and broader picture of economic frustration and thus, would change the reaction to it, especially when many people look back on it... there, they will say "this is where this started, no later than here", referring to the Enron scandal.

One cannot spell history without story and changing one aspect changes the context and affects of so many others, especially with retrospective views.

One of the foundations for this timeline was really how Reagan very much affected so many things by being elected at the right time for the economy to pick up and end up justifying and giving acceptance to the more radical elements of the GOP in a certain manner and the believed success associated with that along with the rise of greed through vast deregulation is why the Republican party is why they kept doubling down and going crazier. That and well, they had nothing else with that.

Here, Reagan taking Carter's place doesn't just mean he gets the scorn for being in the wrong place/time along with the consequences of his decisions, but it changes the greater political narrative. He was the third GOP president in a row; 12 years of stuff of Nixon, Ford and Reagan, laid by the foundation of folks like Goldwater. Compared that to what was previous with Kennedy and Johnson... the backlash isn't just against Reagan, but to everyone who was involved in this 12-year long period, especially as the growing successes attributed to Udall will just make the contrasts even more evident. There's a reason that the 12 year period here will be called the Dismal Dozen.

And that's not even including Udall and Askew's own reputations and legacies that will send things in motion. There will still be some issues and so on, heck, I've set the seed for one potential conflict coming in the next decade or so , but it will be alot better off.

I very much love and appreciate your thought-provoking commentary so I will reward you with a hint of what's to come. Mainly, just a new term that will become prominent in the next several years there: "pious progressive".

dcharles

Banned
Regarding that strain of the US right wing... it's a big more complicated than that.

Well, of course. But there's a straight line from the pro-slavery thought (and Northern Negrophobia) of the 1840s and 50s, to the Confederacy and Copperheadism, to the first Klan, the White Leauge, and the Red Shirts, to the Mississippi Plan, to the Wilmington Coup, to the First Red Scare, the Second Klan, Gerald LK Smith, Father Coughlin, the America Firsters, the Second Red Scare, the John Birch Society, JFK having to explain how he's not a Vatican sleeper agent, George Wallace, backwards records with encoded Satanic messages...and from there, pretty soon you're moving right into the modern militia movement, the Christian Coalition and the Moral Majority, Y2K doomsaying...and all of a sudden I'm waving at Alex Jones, who's waving forged copies of Obama's birth records back at me.

These guys never go away. And American history, I would say, has shown that that strain of thought in American politics is way, way, too violent to ever be marginalized into nonexistence. They *force* the conversation, as it were.

(Sorry for the Bizarro-world version of "We Didn't Start the Fire)
It was formed and came about as a result of developments, circumstances and reactions.

Absolutely. But I don't think that the POD is far back enough to change the paranoid strain of American culture. Weaken it, dampen it, sure. Just look at all the doomcults we've spawned. We've been doing this for so long that there at least two of our doomcults--Seventh Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses--actually turned into mainstream religious denominations.

C.F.: "The Paranoid Style in American Politics," Richard Hofstadter 1964

Edit: I realize that I just totally changed the scope of my claim, from something that was apparent in the 1960s and intensified in the 80s, to something that's been with us for far longer. I'm not trying to pull a fast one I just read your post and my thoughts on it developed a little more.

Last edited:
How come Labour still in power?
Basically, James Callaghan called an election in 1978 like people suspected he would rather than 1979 in OTL. One of the big influences was how the Reagan administration shot itself in the foot and also messed up the economy, which concerned him since minority government. Managed to secure a small majority to stay in power and so on, having gotten reelection with Winter of Discontent, which was a bit smaller... or rather they managed to divert some of the blame to the economic shocks caused by the Panama canal issue.

Well, of course. But there's a straight line from the pro-slavery thought (and Northern Negrophobia) of the 1840s and 50s, to the Confederacy and Copperheadism, to the first Klan, the White Leauge, and the Red Shirts, to the Mississippi Plan, to the Wilmington Coup, to the First Red Scare, the Second Klan, Gerald LK Smith, Father Coughlin, the America Firsters, the Second Red Scare, the John Birch Society, JFK having to explain how he's not a Vatican sleeper agent, George Wallace, backwards records with encoded Satanic messages...and from there, pretty soon you're moving right into the modern militia movement, the Christian Coalition and the Moral Majority, Y2K doomsaying...and all of a sudden I'm waving at Alex Jones, who's waving forged copies of Obama's birth records back at me.

These guys never go away. And American history, I would say, has shown that that strain of thought in American politics is way, way, too violent to ever be marginalized into nonexistence. They *force* the conversation, as it were.

(Sorry for the Bizarro-world version of "We Didn't Start the Fire)

Absolutely. But I don't think that the POD is far back enough to change the paranoid strain of American culture. Weaken it, dampen it, sure. Just look at all the doomcults we've spawned. We've been doing this for so long that there at least two of our doomcults--Seventh Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses--actually turned into mainstream religious denominations.

C.F.: "The Paranoid Style in American Politics," Richard Hofstadter 1964

Edit: I realize that I just totally changed the scope of my claim, from something that was apparent in the 1960s and intensified in the 80s, to something that's been with us for far longer. I'm not trying to pull a fast one I just read your post and my thoughts on it developed a little more.

No worries and yeah, I understand that. That malicious undercurrent that hides in the psyche. Of course, like all animals, denying it habitats and feeding grounds makes it weaker. So while that strain of thought may haunt like a spectre indefinitely, it can be beaten back and overcome, especially as more and more failures are associated with t and more victories aimed at those it seeks to attack. There's always gonna be wackjobs likely, but here, they'll definitley not be in as good a place, especially as more and more benign forces come in to help.

Nick P

Donor
Anyone have any questions or what on with what’s coming next? I’m happy to accept input, commentary and so on :)
I'm puzzled by the title America's Funniest President. What is so funny about Udall, is he telling great jokes or is he a laughing stock?

No worries and yeah, I understand that. That malicious undercurrent that hides in the psyche. Of course, like all animals, denying it habitats and feeding grounds makes it weaker. So while that strain of thought may haunt like a spectre indefinitely, it can be beaten back and overcome, especially as more and more failures are associated with t and more victories aimed at those it seeks to attack. There's always gonna be wackjobs likely, but here, they'll definitley not be in as good a place, especially as more and more benign forces come in to help.
Makes it weaker yes, but also makes it angrier and more desperate and more violent and more open to the loudest, angriest voices. If (they believe) the government isn't speaking to/for them they'll find some rich and powerful people (Televangelists, talk radio demagogues, right wing media barons) that they believe are, leaving them sadly quite susceptible to exploitation that feeds the resentment cycle. I've lived in the heart of Klan Country and the more isolated that part of America feels, the more angry and aggressive they get. God, Guns, White Power and Privilege, Hard Core Christian Power, Creationism, America, The American Flag, the Confederate Flag, Family, My Life and Freedom, The Constitution, and What's Right are all seen as the same thing, and an attack on one (even perceived) is an attack on all. There are lots of people in Rural America who have been raised to believe that Race and Religion are zero-sum games where a Jew or Black Man can't be successful unless a White Christian has somehow lost. They definitely won't fade away quietly. You'd likely see some sort of terrorist activity and some Ruby Ridge type stuff before all is said and done.

Clearly not all or even a majority of rural Americans think this way, but a lot do or at least have some sympathies towards those who think that way, a plurality to a majority in some districts. The trick is helping the people in these areas who reject this notion, and there are plenty, feel empowered enough to speak out without fear of reprisal, which can be hard when any such "transgression" can get you expelled from the church and family that are often all that you've ever known. In the long run it's like running a counter-insurgency and winning hearts and minds and showing more people that there's no future for them and their families down that pathway. It will take a long time and it's very easy to overcorrect and push too far too fast and set things back. My advice is good faith investments in Appalachia and other opportunities for poor white American and a concentrated effort to reject the "Hillbilly/Redneck" stereotyping that makes a lot of Americans feel like a persecuted group if you want them to feel like they have a stake in an inclusive system.

And from a writing standpoint, remember: conflict = drama = story.

dcharles

Banned
Makes it weaker yes, but also makes it angrier and more desperate and more violent and more open to the loudest, angriest voices. If (they believe) the government isn't speaking to/for them they'll find some rich and powerful people (Televangelists, talk radio demagogues, right wing media barons) that they believe are, leaving them sadly quite susceptible to exploitation that feeds the resentment cycle. I've lived in the heart of Klan Country and the more isolated that part of America feels, the more angry and aggressive they get. God, Guns, White Power and Privilege, Hard Core Christian Power, Creationism, America, The American Flag, the Confederate Flag, Family, My Life and Freedom, The Constitution, and What's Right are all seen as the same thing, and an attack on one (even perceived) is an attack on all. There are lots of people in Rural America who have been raised to believe that Race and Religion are zero-sum games where a Jew or Black Man can't be successful unless a White Christian has somehow lost. They definitely won't fade away quietly. You'd likely see some sort of terrorist activity and some Ruby Ridge type stuff before all is said and done.

Honestly, I had not really considered this...whole messy thing we're talking about...as a manifestation of something persistent in the American psyche. (At least before we all started talking about it--thanks CountDVB) But the more we get into it, the more I think about just how consistent a phenomenon right-wing terrorism has been in American history.

It fucking right up there with apple pie.

I'm puzzled by the title America's Funniest President. What is so funny about Udall, is he telling great jokes or is he a laughing stock?
He tells jokes, via People:

“Hi,” said the tall man striding confidently into the New Hampshire barbershop. “I’m Mo Udall. A few hours ago I announced I was running for President.” “Heard it on the radio,” answered the old barber, “and we been laughing ever since.”

Clearly not all or even a majority of rural Americans think this way, but a lot do or at least have some sympathies towards those who think that way, a plurality to a majority in some districts. The trick is helping the people in these areas who reject this notion, and there are plenty, feel empowered enough to speak out without fear of reprisal, which can be hard when any such "transgression" can get you expelled from the church and family that are often all that you've ever known. In the long run it's like running a counter-insurgency and winning hearts and minds and showing more people that there's no future for them and their families down that pathway. It will take a long time and it's very easy to overcorrect and push too far too fast and set things back. My advice is good faith investments in Appalachia and other opportunities for poor white American and a concentrated effort to reject the "Hillbilly/Redneck" stereotyping that makes a lot of Americans feel like a persecuted group if you want them to feel like they have a stake in an inclusive system.

And from a writing standpoint, remember: conflict = drama = story.
Honestly, I had not really considered this...whole messy thing we're talking about...as a manifestation of something persistent in the American psyche. (At least before we all started talking about it--thanks CountDVB) But the more we get into it, the more I think about just how consistent a phenomenon right-wing terrorism has been in American history.

It fucking right up there with apple pie.

Yeah that is definitely true, especially with some of the stuff is coming. Their numbers grow smaller, but will likely become more radical. Granted, alot of the stuff that enabled those sort of voices occurred arund this time or quite recently before, like the Cincinnati Coup back in 1977, which is how we got the modern NRA. Though that does remind me to examine the effects of these guys aligning with Reagan may do with them. After all, political alignment with Republicans only began at that time.

Would a Cincinnati Coup even happen in this timeline with a Reagan victory? Thoughts on that?

There will still be some fair bits of conflict going on and so on. But right-wing terrorism is basically just reactionary violence toward change, which has been around the world and so on. Of course, one should be wary of the nirvana fallacy, don't let good become the enemy of perfect.

I love and appreciate all the feedback here from ya'll. :) This makes the timeline more fascinating because while all of these elements we're discussing has pretty older roots, the modern incarnations that we know it were shaped and molded by the Reagan and neo-con dominated 1980s where they were associated with success and moved the overton window to the right. Here... well, ya'll are seeing what happens.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
PROLOGUE VI: The Reagan Administration- Shahfall & Oil Crashes

Shah%27s_exit_from_Iran_01.jpg

Shah and his wife, Shahbanu Farah leaving Iran on 16 January 1979
1979 came in with further troubles and turbulations. Discussions over the next wave of the SALT Treaties have stagnated though not out of disagreement from the Americans or the Soviets, but more out of the troubles going on with the Reagan Administration. The Soviets were content to take their time on this though as seeing more chaos on the Americans' end had them beginning to reconsider certain approaches. Afghanistan could've become a mess if interactions with the PDPA went horribly awry. Fortunately, they got the message pretty clear and could influence their neighbor without the need of invasion. Additionally, the rumors of potential talks between the United States and Communist China have also somewhat stagnated on that front as well; the Reagan administration had refused to fully recognize Communist China and they maintained their focus over on Taiwan though such discussions were overall part of President Reagan's seeming slowing down of diplomatic affairs. Likely as they were still trying to focus on Central America. By now, the rallying effect was gone and folks were not wanting to see their menfolk die defending a damaged canal built on land that was only theirs by technicality and in a war influenced by their leader's stubbornness. Especially since it meant having to deal with greater inflation on items. People were becoming more frugal in how they spent money and looking for ways to get by, while others were demanding for government assistance on programs that could help deal with the matters.

However, Reagan did continue on and his focus on certain domestic affairs would lend assistance. He would send federal funds to assist in bailing out the Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station during its partial meltdown. He doubled down on the important of nuclear energy for a more prosperpous tomorrow and it was noted for being an instance of helping out. This did win him some broad sense of bipartisan support and Reagan's emphasis on no deaths nor sicknesses helped ease it, despite the accident giving some more energy over to those opposed to nuclear power. At one point, Reagan even noted that there were few if any viable and practical options that could be implemented and nuclear power would assist in the creation of more jobs and reliable power. His steadfast stance here would end up winning out and gaining some form of points. The construction of many future nuclear power plants were not halted though merely slowed down or temporarily suspended at most to review the damage within the accident and figure out how to improve from it. It was a much needed boost, especially with the oncoming tide of the 1980 election.

However, it would not be enough for what was to come. Revolution had come into Iran.

After years of oppression and his autocratic rule, the Shah would finally be ousted. Massive protests and outcries were led over by various prominent individuals such as Mehdi Bazargan would rise up in prominence to get the Shah to step down, with a number of various factions rising to help be the dominant influence over for the sake of power and influence. Many of the parties and organizations that had prepared for this day came together. The National Front would form a coalition many groups, even with the Pan-Iranist Party and the Freedom Movement of Iran. Others, like the Tudeh, were more like co-belligerents, but after a massive wave of protests, the monarchy would finally fall and a new day would rise in Iran. Iran was now a parliamentary republic, its first leader being Mehdi Bazargan. He would serve as Iran's first Prime Framadār (a cultural homage to the original Pre-Islamic/Sassanian role of wuzurg framadār, which would be described as equivalent as a Grand Vizier or Prime Minister, chosen to showcase the long and rich history of Iran) with the National Front and Freedom Movement forming a coalition government. While there was some concerns that the nation would've gotten theocratic elements, especially by some of the clergyfolk pushing, others pushed back, believing in the seperation of church and state, with one big name for that was Hussein-Ali Montazeri, a promiennt student of Khoimeni and rather liberal-minded, thus lending him enough influence to help for it.

The rammifications were unsurprisingly enormous. Even before the Revolution itself, the massive protests and strikes caused another oil shockwave, leading to the 1979 Oil Crisis, giving another jolt of agony over for the economy, still shaken up by the Panama Canal's condition. It created greater unrest and conditions amongst the populace and the demand for the government to do something grew louder. This stood in staunch contrast to Reagan's words regarding on government, which would be turned against him as his approval ratings plummeted further still. The Reagan administration meanwhile couldn't do anything regarding Iran. They could try sanctions, but they were unlikely to pass Congress and the new government did not espouse any anti-American rhetoric. Earlier that year, there was speculation on regarding whether the Shah be admitted into Iran or not for medical treatment, despite the clamoring for him to face justice in Iran by the people. However, the deadlocked situation and disagreements meant a decision was not made in time with the Shah going elsewhere. The Reagan adminsitration and the Republican party in fact had their fractures grow wider because of this and the neoconservatives that were originally seen as the new way of doing things was now in mortal danger within the party as the other factions sought to have them be voted out, lest they permanantly poison the party's reputation.

The Middle East meanwhile watched with shock at what happened, with some preparing for their own plans. Saddam Hussein began preparing for potential plans of an invasion to assert himself over his neighboring state though was also cautious as he did not know how strong the new Iranian government actually was. For others, the lack of success from the hardline conservatives was a blow to their prestige and potential influence. This would be notable as in 1979, another incident occurred, this time over in Saudi Arabia... someone seizing the Grand Mosque. The Grand Mosque seizure occurred during November and December 1979 when extremist insurgents calling for the overthrow of the House of Saud took over Masjid al-Haram, the holiest mosque in Islam, in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The insurgents declared that the Mahdi (the "redeemer of Islam") had arrived in the form of one of their leaders – Mohammed Abdullah al-Qahtani – and called on believers to obey him. The seizure of Islam's holiest site, the taking of hostages from among the worshippers and the deaths of hundreds of militants, security forces and hostages caught in the crossfire in the ensuing battles for control of the site, shocked the Islamic world. The siege ended two weeks after the takeover began and the mosque was cleared. Saudi special forces aided by American commandos were the ones who retook the site. While the joint operation did help bring a brief bit of support for the Americans and those in the Muslim World, the question remained on what now and why. However, one important note was on the discussion between President Reagan and Saudi King Khaled. Khaled had orginally considered that "the solution to the religious upheaval was simple: more religion" and considered giving the ulama and religious conservatives more power over time due to their hostilities at the growing liberalization. President Reagan however insisted on the opposite. This was not a religious upheaval, but a terrorist attack. No true believer would ever invade their own holy site and follow someone who was claiming they were the savior. As such, these religious hardliners were a threat and should be treated as such against the establishment of a better world. After talks and needling, King Khaled would follow through on Reagan's words and beyond denouncing the attackers, noted on their disgrace and being against the faith. He would begin working to crack down on the religious hardliners and going further with the reforms, with Reagan making arrangements for potential reinforcements. It was a sorely needed sort of victory for the Reagan administration, especially as they were entering 1980.
You lifted almost the entire text of your account of the Seizure of the Grand Mosque from Wikipendia. You added in a couple sentences specific to the T/L, but everything else is a word for word lift.

Plagiarism is a one bite offense. You just had yours.

Kicked for a week

Yeah that is definitely true, especially with some of the stuff is coming. Their numbers grow smaller, but will likely become more radical. Granted, alot of the stuff that enabled those sort of voices occurred arund this time or quite recently before, like the Cincinnati Coup back in 1977, which is how we got the modern NRA. Though that does remind me to examine the effects of these guys aligning with Reagan may do with them. After all, political alignment with Republicans only began at that time.

Would a Cincinnati Coup even happen in this timeline with a Reagan victory? Thoughts on that?

There will still be some fair bits of conflict going on and so on. But right-wing terrorism is basically just reactionary violence toward change, which has been around the world and so on. Of course, one should be wary of the nirvana fallacy, don't let good become the enemy of perfect.

I love and appreciate all the feedback here from ya'll. :) This makes the timeline more fascinating because while all of these elements we're discussing has pretty older roots, the modern incarnations that we know it were shaped and molded by the Reagan and neo-con dominated 1980s where they were associated with success and moved the overton window to the right. Here... well, ya'll are seeing what happens.
I will say that Udall has a couple good paths for reaching out to rural and Appalachian Americans that modern Democrats lack: good Union Cred (Coal Country literally fought a small war to form Unions) and Jimmy Carter. Since Carter never had his name dragged through the mud iTTL he, as an Evangelical Christian and Southerner, has a real possibility of being the nucleus of outreach there, giving Southern Blue Collar Whites a political alternative to the old Segregationist Dixiecrats who became the SoCon wing of the GOP after Nixon's Southern Strategy,

dcharles

Banned
You lifted almost the entire text of your account of the Seizure of the Grand Mosque from Wikipendia. You added in a couple sentences specific to the T/L, but everything else is a word for word lift.

Plagiarism is a one bite offense. You just had yours.

Kicked for a week
It would have been ok if he'd made a note of it though, right?

For reference:

The Wikipedia paragraphs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mosque_seizure):
The Grand Mosque seizure occurred during November and December 1979 when extremist insurgents calling for the overthrow of the House of Saud took over Masjid al-Haram, the holiest mosque in Islam, in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The insurgents declared that the Mahdi (the "redeemer of Islam") had arrived in the form of one of their leaders – Mohammed Abdullah al-Qahtani – and called on Muslims to obey him. For nearly two weeks Saudi Special Forces, advised by French commandos, fought pitched battles to reclaim the compound.[8]

The seizure of Islam's holiest site, the taking of hostages from among the worshippers and the deaths of hundreds of militants, security forces and hostages caught in the crossfire in the ensuing battles for control of the site, shocked the Islamic world. The siege ended two weeks after the takeover began and the mosque was cleared.[9] Al-Qahtani was killed in the recapture of the mosque but leader Juhayman al-Otaybi and 67 of his fellow rebels who survived the assault were captured and later beheaded.

What was written (https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...presidency-beyond.515135/page-2#post-22239400):
The Grand Mosque seizure occurred during November and December 1979 when extremist insurgents calling for the overthrow of the House of Saud took over Masjid al-Haram, the holiest mosque in Islam, in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The insurgents declared that the Mahdi (the "redeemer of Islam") had arrived in the form of one of their leaders – Mohammed Abdullah al-Qahtani – and called on believers to obey him. The seizure of Islam's holiest site, the taking of hostages from among the worshippers and the deaths of hundreds of militants, security forces and hostages caught in the crossfire in the ensuing battles for control of the site, shocked the Islamic world. The siege ended two weeks after the takeover began and the mosque was cleared.

Last edited:
Summer 1982: Rifle Fights
Summer 1982: Rifle Fights

The_American_Rifleman_July_1977_issue.jpg

Harlan Carter on the July 1977 issue of The American Rifleman
[1]
In Sumemr 1982, the political and cultural battlegrounds were heating up, much like the summer sun was bringing the heat over in the United States. E.T. The Extra-Terrestial is released in theaters, a film that would become one of the biggest box-office hits of the decade. The Lebanon War would begin as part of the last bits of conflicts in the Middle East. Commercial whaling has been voted to be ended within the next few years and the Falklands War ends with Argentina's defeat and the beginning of the end of the dictatorships there with the growing contempt aimed at the autocracies there. Even Chile was quite nervous, especially with the strong likelihood of the US approving sanctions against the Pinochet regime of Chile before the end of the year as a response to the heavily controversial Chilean constitutional referendum back in 1980 and increasing the chances of dissent. [2]

However, one fascinating revolution that occurred was one closer to home... or rather a counter-revoultion. The National Rifle Association would see another leadership change, with the ousting of Neal Knox from the NRA's lobbying arm, the Institute for Legislative Action while Harlan Carter would be forced to resign in disgrace from executive director of the NRA itself during the summer. These two men were prominent in being key players in the so-called "Cincinnati Coup". Back in 1977, the two led a charge for a change in leadership, focusing on the issues of protecting gun ownership rights over the organization's regular mission of "hunting, conservation, and marksmanship". This change was the result of concern over the Gun Control Act back in 1968, which led to an increased priority on opposing further gun control laws. [3] As such, they began organizing and throwing their support to the Republican Party, especially by 1977 in their change of leadership. Unfortunately, as support for President Reagan began plummeting over the Panama crisis, his handling of the economy and the general growing loss of support, this had a negative impact over on NRA's lobbying efforts. With Reagan's brutal loss over in 1980, the NRA also found itself floundering over in its efforts to lobby Congress, especially as more and more of the NRA membership questioned the decision to enter politics in the first place. Thousands of dollars ended up being for naught and there was a sense of uncertainty.

However, the final drop came with Carter himself. In 1981, newspaper reporters learned that Carter had been convicted of murder related to the 1931 death of 15-year-old Ramón Casiano . Being 17 at the time, Carter believed that Casiano had information about the theft of his family's car. He threatened Casiano with a shotgun, pointing at him and demanded that he return to the Carter home to submit to questioning. When Casiano refused, Carter fatally shot him. There was no evidence of Casiano with the car incident and while Carter was convicted of murder, the conviction was overturned by the Texas Court of Appeals, due to the judge having issued incorrect jury instructions regarding laws related to self-defense. [4] Naturally, when it was brought to light, much of the organization exploded in shock and horror of the notion, especially as it spread around beyond the NRA. With his reputation already damaged, the news of this conviction along with his past work in Operation Wetback painted a very unflattering and even concerning picture of his goals and agendas for the organization.

GIven how the news media painted him as a "man pretending to be a cowboy and shooting an innocent" along with accusations of racism based on his work in Operation Wetback in light of this, this did not suit well with the moderate folk, who were taking advantage of the situation to call out Carter, Knox and their supporters for tainting the organization and wasting money in lobbying efforts. A growing number of members were threatening to leave the organization behind the whole ordeal and more and more of the hardliners found themselves becoming isolated or accusing the other, resulting in a crab bucket mentality. By 1982, many of the "Old Guard" that was still around managed to take control of the party. Carter would be forced to resign in disgrace while Knox would be fired as well, both of them among their key supporters being blacklisted. The "Old Guard" would dissolve the ILA branch that was created and reaffirmed their commitment to non-political action regarding the safe usage of firearms for all Americans. Meanwhile, the whole ordeal regarding the necessary protection of the Second Amendment would end up having a fascinating indirect consequence, mainly in the support for a potential new amendment...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is an adequate citation

[1]- Picture taken from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlon_Carter
[2]- Information taken from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982
[3]- Information and sentences taken from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rifle_Association#1970s–2000s
[4]- Information and sentences taken from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlon_Carter