Alternate Electoral Maps II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhad

Banned
I Don't really believe in uniform swings, I don't think there has ever been an election (except for maybe 1972) where every single state trended in the direction of the winner. I think Montana and Kansas would flip before Utah, even with McMullin.
If you use elasticity values, only SC would flip. But Montana and Kansas would be closer than Utah.

You might remember the county map I did for if the Democratic nominee won all 50 states:

pASV9C7.jpg

So based on this, I've decided to do a map for every state where they win a majority of counties. Blue states are states where the Democratic nominee won a majority of counties, red states are states where they didn't:

rxmLX.png

In Nebraska, the Democratic nominee wins a majority of counties in the 1st and 2nd CDs, while they (obviously) don't win a majority statewide or in the 3rd District.

The next edition in my Columbian election series. Next up will be 2006, and then I will have regional maps and other elections. I want to create wikiboxs however, I have yet to find good party leaders.

For the person who asked before about how I make these, I do it mostly by hand because it is hard to create an accurate hex map in most programs. First, I map the districts in Daves Redistricting. Then, I map those districts into a hex grid template in gimp.

----------------------------------------​

The 2001 election was widely seen to be a continuation of the Long Liberal Era. The Whigs had been in power since 1983 and the government had done nothing to squander their loyalty. If anything, their response to the recent attacks by Islamic Radicals on London had boosted the Whig’s popularity. With the majority they had secured in 1996 seemingly secure, the Whigs entered the 2001 campaign as the overwhelming favorites.

Below the Whigs were the two other major parties. Similar to the campaigns of the 90s, the Conervatives and Labour remained neck-and-neck yet far below the Whigs. The fact that opposition to the Whigs had never been unified nor significant contributed to their long running success.

Private polling led to only one of the big three running a national campaign. The Whigs traveled all over the country, protecting their majority. The Tories and Labour tried to gain the lead over each other, all while feebly attacking the Whig wall.

rYEvYGm.png

The expected result came true on election night – the Whigs returned with their majority. A general lack of enthusiasm in the race contributed to a net decrease in turnout. Boundary changes from the 2000 boundary commission further cemented the majority as many of the new Floridian seats turned Tan.

Far below the Whigs, Labour surpassed the Tories for the title of official opposition – hinting towards the 2006 results…

Columbia, A More British America
2016 General Election Hex Map, Provided by CNBC
2011 General Election Hex Map

Last edited:
The next edition in my Columbian election series. Next up will be 2006, and then I will have regional maps and other elections. I want to create wikiboxs however, I have yet to find good party leaders.

For the person who asked before about how I make these, I do it mostly by hand because it is hard to create an accurate hex map in most programs. First, I map the districts in Daves Redistricting. Then, I map those districts into a hex grid template in gimp.

How did you get the custom party results in Dave's Redistricting?

Chicxulub

Banned
How do you even run Dave's redistricting? I have the newest version of Silverlight but no browser I use works.
You need to use an older version of whatever browser you use, because all major browsers have dropped their support for NPAPI, which is what Silverlight uses.

I really like these! I think you mentioned once that Columbia got a slice of Canada - how much, and what language do the inhabitants speak?​

Unfortunately, you might have this mixed up.Columbia has none of OTL Canada. What instead happened is that once the colonial MPs got seats in parliament, their first order of business was getting rid of the Quebec Act to open up the Great Lakes to colonial settlement. This, and other policies pushed by the Colonial MPs gradually set Quebec on its own road to Liberty leading to a revolution, French intervention, and later on kick-starting a slightly different French Revolution. This Quebec has almost everything East of the OTL Quebec province, the Ontario peninsula + the great lakeshore east of Thunder Bay. Canada still came into being, though, it is a western nation with most of the great plains + Cascades and Western OTL Canada.

There is also the United Republic of Mexico and the Kingdom of Louisiana but that isn't relevant here.

How did you get the custom party results in Dave's Redistricting?

How do you even run Dave's redistricting? I have the newest version of Silverlight but no browser I use works.

Dave's Redistrict, as already said, needs Silverlight to run. Chrome does not support silverlight, and I personally use Firefox. However, recently Firefox dropped their support (they said they may re-enable it) so I use the Extended Support Release of Firefox meant for web devs that runs pretty much everything. It can be found here. Do be warned that DRA is a legacy product now, and does have a few memory leaks.

Custom party and also custom population (I moved most of the DC metro into the NYC metro for example) are all done through personal tabulation and spreadsheets. DRA gives you party vote for 2008, which is as good a baseline to have. From there I compare with both previous elections and the UK party coalitions. Other good cross references are income for the larger metros like Chicago, Atlanta, and NYC because they help tell where a rich Tory district, a poor Labour, or a international Whig district would fall. Race is also important - Blacks I made almost universally Labour. Hispanics are not as frequent nor as prevalent in my world, so I often mentally substitute them for more British migrant groups like Arabs, Indians, or in the case of Florida, International retirees. A general knowledge of what the counties background is (working class, suburban, city, poor, rich, minority, vacation economy, university campus, etc) also helps. Finally, I also have my parties have geographic bases: Whigs in the NE + East Florida, Tories in South + Suburbs, and and Labour in NW and Black areas. These all help in producing my maps.

I have also changed a couple regions, such as having Boston be a Silicon-Valley tech area thanks to the Whig policies and mass of universities.

Dave's Redistrict, as already said, needs Silverlight to run. Chrome does not support silverlight, and I personally use Firefox. However, recently Firefox dropped their support (they said they may re-enable it) so I use the Extended Support Release of Firefox meant for web devs that runs pretty much everything. It can be found here. Do be warned that DRA is a legacy product now, and does have a few memory leaks.

Custom party and also custom population (I moved most of the DC metro into the NYC metro for example) are all done through personal tabulation and spreadsheets. DRA gives you party vote for 2008, which is as good a baseline to have. From there I compare with both previous elections and the UK party coalitions. Other good cross references are income for the larger metros like Chicago, Atlanta, and NYC because they help tell where a rich Tory district, a poor Labour, or a international Whig district would fall. Race is also important - Blacks I made almost universally Labour. Hispanics are not as frequent nor as prevalent in my world, so I often mentally substitute them for more British migrant groups like Arabs, Indians, or in the case of Florida, International retirees. A general knowledge of what the counties background is (working class, suburban, city, poor, rich, minority, vacation economy, university campus, etc) also helps. Finally, I also have my parties have geographic bases: Whigs in the NE + East Florida, Tories in South + Suburbs, and and Labour in NW and Black areas. These all help in producing my maps.

I have also changed a couple regions, such as having Boston be a Silicon-Valley tech area thanks to the Whig policies and mass of universities.
How do you change districts for the whole nation?

How do you change districts for the whole nation?

I'm not quite sure what your asking. Do you mean just general redistricting? If so, Dave's Redistricting (referred to as DRA) is an site made for the 2010 redistricting cycle that has precinct shapefiles for that year, along with various demographic data like race and votes. It also has 2000 maps, which is why I can make older maps. It allows you to draw districts on said shapefiles.

Here's my 2011 Georgia map for Example:

vsPGwAy.png

Out of curiosity, what are the bellwethers in this world? It seems that New Castle, DE always votes for the largest party, are there any other major districts that nearly always go with the winner?

coTtDbH.png

A bit random, but this is what it would take for a Democrat to win all three of Nebraska's Congressional Districts. I believe this requires them to win statewide by a margin of roughly 67-33%.

It'd be interesting to see a map with every state and district only going to clinton by moving the swing for each state/district just enough to carry the state for clinton (ex. Michigan with around .23% but Arkansas with 20 or so %, CDs are done individually as they all will cause the 2 other EVs to go Dem)

Status
Not open for further replies.