All queens who had no sons had a son in 1510

What if Catherine of Aragon had given birth to a son in 1510

Anne, Duchess of Brittany, gave birth to a son (twin René).

Germaine de Foix, Queen of Aragon, had a son, Juan

He marries Catherine of Austria
Anne, Duchess of Brittany, gave birth to a son (twin René)
He gets France (not Brittany), marries a non-stillborn 1513 Maria of Portugal
Castile and Aragon split, Bona would be interested in Isabella/Juan but due to age gap it's not very likely...

Anne, Duchess of Brittany, gave birth to a son (twin René).

Butterfly Genocide, noooo.

Anyways, lets start with the one with the most chaotic consequences in my opinion, Germaine de Foix. Juan, Prince of Girona would be a little bit ahead of his half-nephews, Charles and Ferdinand. Because if we still have Ferdinand die in 1516, Juan will only be six years old, and Charles or Ferdinand would take charge as regent. In OTL, Charles did like Germaine, but Germaine wasn't exactly influential, unless she could marry someone influential, she probably wont end up being regent. A little bit of a Catherine of Valois situation here. Juan might marry Renee of France, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was married to someone like Maria of Portugal, who would be 11 years younger. But The consequences of Juan being King of Aragon is that there will be either no Spain or a smaller country called Spain, maybe if Juan only has a daughter, the daughter will marry Phillip, but in all, probably no Spain.

Next, Anne of Brittany having a son would be interesting. Anne's elder daughter Claude was betrothed to Francis of Angoulême in 1506 after her marriage to Charles of Austria, and after Louis XII's death, Francis became King of France. If Anne had given birth to a son (I'll call him Charles), Louis probably wouldn't have needed to marry Mary Tudor the Elder whether or not Anne's death is butterflied. It is known that Anne wanted the Duchy of Brittany to remain independent from France, so much so, that she even tried passing the Duchy to Renee instead of Claude who had a more senior claim. A son would actually complicate things in my opinion because not only does Brittany and France follow male primogeniture, but there isn't a lot that Anne could do. Maybe she could pass it on to Francis, but Anne's hope of Breton Independence will probably be non-existent. Charles, Dauphin of France will probably marry either Mary Tudor the Younger or Catherine of Austria for some pavia deal, wild-card for Catherine de' Medici. But I think most likely Mary, I doubt Louis or Charles would care for Catherine de' Medici when Mary Tudor is available. If Louis has his OTL death, Francis would be Regent if Anne isn't alive (Because ain't no way Anne is letting her son-in-law who is also the son of her enemy be regent unless she had no choice). All-in-all, hopefully the Valois dynasty lasts longer, which could also mean Navarre might remain independent, which would be pretty interesting.

Lastly, Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII having a son. Interestingly, they would have a short-lived son one year later in 1511, but for the sake of your question, lets say Catherine had a son one year early that survived. Edward and Elizabeth are obviously butterflied, and I think Henry would still name his son after himself like he would do to his son the Duke of Cornwall. Henry, Prince of Wales might marry his cousin, Catherine of Austria who is about three years older than him, maybe her older sisters, Eleanor and Isabella, but I feel as though they are a bit old for him. I almost put Isabella of Portugal, but again, she is probably a bit old for him as well, though now that I think about it, it might be a likely match if Charles is patient enough to wait to marry Mary (if she is even born). Renee of France, maybe if one of Margaret Tudor's unnamed stillborn daughters survived, it could work. If Henry is really really patient, he might be able to marry James V of Scotland's OTL wife Madeleine of Valois or Christina of Denmark, though more likely Madeleine considering her father is sitting in a throne instead of a prison. Obviously no kings great matter which probably means catholic england.

Last edited:
It is known that Anne wanted the Duchy of Brittany to remain independent from France, so much so, that she even tried passing the Duchy to Renee instead of Claude who had a more senior claim.
Anne’s marriage contract stipulated that Brittany would go to either her second son or eldest daughter. She tried passing it to Renee IOTL because Louis wanted Claude married to Francis, his heir presumptive. With a Dauphin in the cradle, Claude will succeed her mother with no problem.
Catherine de' Medici
Definitely not her. She was seen as a poor match for a second son IOTL. She won’t get the Dauphin.
Renee of France
Her likeliest husband ITTL is James V.
Madeleine of Valois
She was very sickly. It’s unlike Henry VIII will want her for his heir, especially since she’ll only be niece of the King of France ITTL.

Last edited:
Anne’s marriage contract stipulated that Brittany would go to either her second son or eldest daughter. She tried passing it to Renee IOTL because Louis wanted Claude married to Francis, his heir presumptive. With a Dauphin in the cradle, Claude will succeed her mother with no problem.

Definitely not her. She was seen as a poor match for a second son IOTL. She won’t get the Dauphin.

Her likeliest husband ITTL is James V.

She was very sickly. It’s unlike Henry VIII will want her for his heir.

I forgot Madeleine was sickly, so probably Catherine of Austria and I looked it up and you are right about Brittany, kudos.

Anyways, Catherine de' Medici was a wild-card, which was why I said Charles, Dauphin of France would probably choose Mary Tudor or Catherine of Austria.

Considering James V was obsessed with the Valois and France (considering he tried to marry Marguerite after Maddie died), I can see him marrying Renee of France, though I'm not sure how Francis would feel because he didn't want a powerful/influential brother-in-law which was why he accepted Ercole d'Este (who was seen as too low-ranked to marry a Daughter of France) to marry Renee.

Last edited:
Butterflies/Thoughts off the top of my head:
  • ENGLAND:
    • No Great Matter as Henry and Catherine will have a surviving son.
    • Mary Tudor the Younger will not be quite the catch, and perversely will likely marry in the 1530s due to not being a potential heiress. Should James IV still die in battle (let's assume so) she's a much easier option to marry James V than she was OTL. But should he remain against the match, she's almost definitely going to France to marry the Dauphin if Henry can help it. If not him, then his nephew, the Duke of Angouleme, would be a strong second choice in a scenario where all the good monarchs are slightly too old or young for her.
    • Catherine, with a son and heir, might cool it a bit on the fasting and pious self-harm, leading to more healthy pregnancies in general, or at least a slightly longer lifespan.
    • Henry having an heir, might get a bit more confident in his warfare. This could really go either way: defeat or slightly better continental holdings.
    • If Mary Tudor the Elder still marries Charles Brandon, she and her sister Margaret's daughters are all a little less stressful to marry off. In particular, Margaret Douglas might just get her Howard man (pick one), or one of these girls might end up with a foreign husband. I know Margaret apparently had some Italian interest through the 1530s - this could actually happen here in a scenario where she isn't possibly first in line for the throne.
    • Anne Boleyn probably just fades into history and marries a decently influential man. Probably not Henry Percy or anyone particularly well-titled, but one of the rising stars in the Tudor court, like her sister. Arthur Plantagenet, Viscount Lisle would be an interesting choice here, considering his a widower with ties to the English royal family. OTL he remarried in 1529 - why not to his Kingly cousin's attractive young friend?
    • Depending on where the Prince of Wales marries, you could see a very interesting series of events play out. My first instinct would be Renee of France, but I'm open to other scenarios. Catherine of Austria is an option, but she also has two other Princes to pick from. Assuming Scotland has no Princesses ATL and we're not doing a scandalous domestic match to a 1507Anne Boleyn or Margaret Douglas, you might see him marry someone either significantly younger (Maria of Portugal, or maybe Madeleine/Margaret of France - here nieces to the King instead of daughters), older (the widowed Mary of Austria), or less immediate but just as important. The Cleves girls would bring significant dowries, as would many Italian Princesses. Catherine de Medici has the French inheritance that could make things interesting, although the interest for her would probably come more from Scotland in that scenario (maybe ATL she marries the Duke of Albany?). Maybe Eleanora d'Este as a wild card choice - particularly with enough money behind her. But honestly, I can see Henry doing what he did OTL and dragging out his children's marriages. At least until the mid to late 1530s. In that case, I'd say Maria of Portugal.
  • FRANCE
    • Francois and Claude probably still marry, maybe even earlier as it becomes obvious the Dauphin isn't about to die.
    • Louis XII likely still marries Mary Tudor the Younger, if just to try for a spare.
    • The Dauphin probably marries one of the women considered for his nephews OTL: Mary Tudor the Younger, Isabella Jaigellon, Catherine of Austria ect. My money would be on Catherine of Austria sometime in the late 1520s, if Manuel can be persuaded not to steal his son's bride.
    • Charles III of Bourbon likely doesn't flame out the way he did OTL. He's in direct competition with Francois of Angouleme for control, and likely remarries after Suzanne to somebody who can support his bid for power - maybe an Austrian proxy like he considered OTL (he was at one time supposed to marry Eleanor of Austria I believe).
    • No adult male leader means no real Italian ambitions can start ramping up until the late 1520s at the earliest. Meaning none of the nonsense of Francois' reign happens and no Pope's under Hapsburg control. Italian wars are like a 1530s thing.
  • ARAGON
    • This is the fun one, because we're splitting a country apart.
    • Juan is likely betrothed to Catherine of Austria, but I could see he and his Regency choosing instead to affirm ties with Portugal via the Infanta Beatrice, or trying to connect with other neighbours. Isabella of Navarre, maybe? Ferdinand specifically had a new son to disentangle himself from the Hapsburgs, it would make sense if he and his successors try and move Aragon away from that mess. Maybe an Italian bride? I mentioned Eleanora d'Este before - she's a strong candidate here imo.
    • Charles of Austria has both an easier and more complicated inheritance than OTL. Considering everything that's happening, I could see him placing Ferdinand in Castile over Austria ATL, and focusing his attentions more North and Eastward. More to do, better odds of success, and they actually like him.
    • Juan is likely very focused on Naples here, and with less behind him, he might have to give up some ground.

If Catherine of Austria marries in England and Eleanor of Austria still marries Manuel.
Eleanor would not marry either Manuel or John in this scenario while Charles V would marry either Mary Tudor in 1514 as was originally planned or maybe he would find Anna of Hungary a more attrattive match than OTL .

If Catherine gave birth to a son in 1510, she would not become pregnant again that year. Which means that the next pregnancy, in mid-1511 or late, could result in an earlier daughter or another male heir, but it depends on whether she will be able to carry the child to term

Bona would be interested in Isabella/Juan but due to age gap it's not very likely...

Well, if all queens who had no sons, get one, than Barbara Zapolya (very much alive and Queen of Poland in 1510) should get one, which would cause very different XVIth century - Sigismund I might be closer to Zapolya than to Habsburgs if John's sister does have a son, maybe (if Mohacs still happens) it's Sig's & Barbara's son who gets his cousin's (Louis II of Bohemia and Hungary) kingdoms? And Bona would be non-entity in that scenario.

Well, if all queens who had no sons, get one, than Barbara Zapolya (very much alive and Queen of Poland in 1510) should get one, which would cause very different XVIth century - Sigismund I might be closer to Zapolya than to Habsburgs if John's sister does have a son, maybe (if Mohacs still happens) it's Sig's & Barbara's son who gets his cousin's (Louis II of Bohemia and Hungary) kingdoms? And Bona would be non-entity in that scenario.
From 1512.

And btw, when we are at that, people are going to ask questions about Helena's child...

Hell no. Henry would never accept his daughter who isn't heiress to marry a non-heir.
Well, he would be a perfectly acceptable match as @Kynan got wrong all the titles of the boy and his father: Francis OTL was Duke of Valois and Count of Angoulême but his son would become Count of Monfort as soon Anne of Brittany died (as Claude was her mother‘s heiress and would be supplanted in that role only by a second brother) meaning who the children of Francis and Claude (and Louise or Charlotte can very well live longer than OTL) would be called “of Brittany“

Hell no. Henry would never accept his daughter who isn't heiress to marry a non-heir.
The heir to an independent Brittany would be a good match for Mary Tudor the Younger, assuming there even is a Mary Tudor born in 1516. She could also have surviving older sisters who'd be competing for matches.

The heir to an independent Brittany would be a good match for Mary Tudor the Younger, assuming there even is a Mary Tudor born in 1516. She could also have surviving older sisters who'd be competing for matches.
Fair. That response was because I saw "Duke of Angouleme" and not "Duke of Brittany". An English princess as Duchess of Brittany is perfectly suitable.
the children of Francis and Claude
Assuming they even marry. No way will Anne allow it if she lives a bit longer.