AHC: The Latest and Earliest Chance to Destroy Roman Republic and Empire

Rex Romanum

Banned
Two challenges:
-the latest POD possible to destroy Roman Republic (pre-27 BC)
-the earliest POD possible to destroy Roman Empire (post-27 BC)

My guess will be:
-Antony's victory at Actium, which lead to he and some Egyptian army (and with Parthian help, maybe) marching on Rome and abolishing the Republic altogether, various Roman provinces get their independence, and then he spend the rest of his life in his new Empire in the East with the beloved Cleopatra.
-Years of Four Emperors goes longer and even crazier, and in the end there's no new emperor emerge, but instead various new states are formed with their own rulers.

Any other opinion?

Last edited:
Two challenge:
-the latest POD possible to destroy Roman Republic (pre-27 BC)
-the earliest POD possible to destroy Roman Empire (post-27 BC)

My guess will be:
-Antony's victory at Actium, which lead to he and some Egyptian army (and with Parthian help, maybe) marching on Rome and abolishing the Republic altogether, various Roman provinces get their independence, and then he spend the rest of his life in his new Empire in the East with the beloved Cleopatra.
-Years of Four Emperors goes longer and even crazier, and in the end there's no new emperor emerge, but instead various new states are formed with their own rulers.

Any other opinion?

Obviously you have Julius Caeser who either has better bodyguards or somehow manages to survive the knife attack. Apparently only one of the multiple knife wounds was fatal.

He could make himself a king in a short time.

Rex Romanum

Banned
Obviously you have Julius Caeser who either has better bodyguards or somehow manages to survive the knife attack. Apparently only one of the multiple knife wounds was fatal.

He could make himself a king in a short time.

Well, the Battle of Actium was later than that. So, I win. ;)

Gaius Julius Caesar would not have been stupid enough to make himself king of Rome. Perpetual dictator was more his line (and even that got him killed).
Earliest POD to destroy the Empire is to have the Republic restored. Livia accidently eats some of her own poison, Drusus the Younger doesn't fall off his horse and break his leg and Augustus gets persuaded that the Republic needs to make a comeback.

I think Antony loved Alexandria, but he was the type of guy who would've eventually gotten bored and pined for some sense of duty. After all, he was a man's man who made his bones as a soldier of Rome. I don't think he and the Egyptian forces would have employed those of the Parthians, being that at least since 42 BC I believe, Antony had been planning a massive campaign to conquer Parthia (one that he never saw to fruition). He enjoyed the provinces. He enjoyed touring Asia Minor and the client kingdoms that bowed down to him (and the women involved, ala Glaphyra of Cappadocia, with whom he had an affair in 41). You may be right though on all of your proposals (except for maybe the Parthian part). Nicely surmised though.

My early POD to destroy the Republic: in 435 BC Veii and Fidenae beated Rome at the Colline gate, managed to enter the city and destroyed it. End of the Republic.

My early POD to destroy the Empire: after Teutoburg Arminius continued to federate the Germans and soon launched an invasion of Gallia. He also managed to have the support of Britannic tribes who crossed the Manche. The Romans failed to stop the horde, also because the Alpine tribes between Gallia and Italy revolted closing all ways to Gallia. To make worse the situation, the Partians launched a full offensive over the Euphrates, Egypt and Iudea revolted, and than is the turn of the Greek cities. Also the Cantabri and the Dalmatian tribes, not yet romanized, revolted and created devastation in their regions. The Mauri invaded Numidia and then march on Carthage. In the end Arminius's horde entered in Italy and conquered Rome, sacking the Eternal City. Augustus and his family were slaughtering. End of the Empire.

Rex Romanum

Banned
Gaius Julius Caesar would not have been stupid enough to make himself king of Rome. Perpetual dictator was more his line (and even that got him killed).

Yet he was still stupid enough to make himself Dictator for Life... :rolleyes:

Earliest POD to destroy the Empire is to have the Republic restored. Livia accidently eats some of her own poison, Drusus the Younger doesn't fall off his horse and break his leg and Augustus gets persuaded that the Republic needs to make a comeback.

What kind of persuasion than Augustus get? He has already been "persuaded" by numerous civil wars that the Republic is dead and the Romans need one strong figure to secure the provinces...