AHC: Newt Gingrich (D) - Two Term US President

Your challenge: with a POD anytime after 1 January, 1970 make Newt Gingrich a two-term democratic President of the United States.

Bonus points if Karl rove is invlved in his campaign or White House staff.

If I'm not mistaken, Gingrich got into politics as a Rockefeller supporter. Perhaps he leaves the party in its conservative shift and becomes a moderate-liberal Democrat.

Have him leave the Republicans along with other moderates following the Rockefeller shift. He comes to prominance for district GA-5 during the 70s as a leader for civil rights and education while bringing solid representation to the area without being batsit-crazy like Cynthia McKenny. He takes two terms as governor during the 1980s as Atlanta comes into comes prominence and helps secure the Olympic bid there. In 1992 he runs as a Southern alternative to Clinton without nearly all the scandals and controversy, defeating them in a close race for the Democratic ballot and ousting George Bush Sr in a close election. With a solid economy he is easily re-elected in 1996.

Newt's mother hated him and threatened to leak every bad thing he did since birth that she was aware of if he ever ran for president. He never ran for President until she after she died (He could have ran in 2008, but even he saw that there was no hope).

Newt's mother hated him and threatened to leak every bad thing he did since birth that she was aware of if he ever ran for president. He never ran for President until she after she died (He could have ran in 2008, but even he saw that there was no hope).

Wow, do you have a source for that? It's fascinating.

This explains a lot...

Im not convinced he's not a poster here, so maybe we should not get too personal about his home life.

Maybe if she died earlier (like in 1990 or something)...

Wow, do you have a source for that? It's fascinating.

I can't recall where I read that, but it was a pretty decent source if I recall (I tend to avoid overly partisan sources, whether left or right).

Apparently his path into politics was worse than anything else in his career (including his two divorces). Even now after Gingrich endorsed gay marriage, his younger lesbian sister still doesn't talk to him.

Im not convinced he's not a poster here, so maybe we should not get too personal about his home life.

I doubt he would stick around on a forum this liberal (he'd at least never post in Chat).

I do believe however that Gingrich is honestly sorry over most of the terrible stuff he's done in his life and that he is genuinely born again. He's given me no reason to think otherwise and as stated he even came out and endorsed gay marriage, before Rob Portman for that matter.

Shit, I remember my source now, I am Newt Gingrich. I forget some times. (For example, the entire 2012 primaries I thought I was Pat Robertson.)

I have seen many of these threads, and I must now confirm I am Newt Gingrich. I pretend to be a young libertarian from New York on the internet because it's the only way I can get horny anymore.

I'm not sure about the P.O.D., but I know what the results would have been

images

I can't recall where I read that, but it was a pretty decent source if I recall (I tend to avoid overly partisan sources, whether left or right).

Apparently his path into politics was worse than anything else in his career (including his two divorces). Even now after Gingrich endorsed gay marriage, his younger lesbian sister still doesn't talk to him.

I doubt he would stick around on a forum this liberal (he'd at least never post in Chat).

I do believe however that Gingrich is honestly sorry over most of the terrible stuff he's done in his life and that he is genuinely born again. He's given me no reason to think otherwise and as stated he even came out and endorsed gay marriage, before Rob Portman for that matter.
Claiming that he endorsed same-sex marriage is a stretch. More like he still dislikes it, but has given up opposing it because he sees the inevitable.

The only way I can envision a TL with Newt Gingrich as President -- at least, one with a Newt Gingrich that is recognizably similar to OTL's Gingrich -- involves some sort of tragedy that simultaneously kills the President and Vice-President. I mean, nobody thinks he could actually win a nationwide election, do they?? :eek:

The only way I can envision a TL with Newt Gingrich as President -- at least, one with a Newt Gingrich that is recognizably similar to OTL's Gingrich -- involves some sort of tragedy that simultaneously kills the President and Vice-President. I mean, nobody thinks he could actually win a nationwide election, do they?? :eek:

In 1997, during the fundraising scandal, I read a conservative columnist who predicted that both President Cliinton and Vice President Gore would have to resign. hHe further predicted that Speaker Gingtich would decline the presidency because he would be too controversial. Senate Pro Tempre Thurmond would likewise decline because of age. sSecretary of State Allbright was not qualified so Secretary of the Treasury Robert Rubin would become president. tThe rest of the column praised Rubin.