Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
So we all know that in Hearts of Iron, you can perform Operation Sealion, win against the US playing as Germany and conquer the world as Luxembourg. It's quite certain that all this wasn't possible in real life.

I'm only a casual player and don't really know where exactly the game is flawed. But maybe you know what HoI's main mistakes are and how the game could become more realistic?

It's a game, so a certain irrealism is expected. If you don't have the option to win playing as the other side, then what's the point? You'll only end with an OTL WWII.

Personally I would love if there were more political options (like you aren't limited by your government to a certain faction, and there are subsets in the factions, like Falangism and Nazism are both Facism, but may be different). Also more diplomatic options and choices beyond OTL choices. But honestly, rather than big, large scale military strategy I'm more interested in long-term political games like in Victoria II or EU4, so my vision isn't exactly conventional for a game set in WWII. I mean, a Kalter-Krieg is cool, but most people want to play an actual war.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
It's a game, so a certain irrealism is expected. If you don't have the option to win playing as the other side, then what's the point? You'll only end with an OTL WWII.

Well, in a realistic game, it would still be possible to win as Germany, but not as clearly as with the current version of the game. For example, conquer the continent and the Soviet Union, but no major victory against Britain.

If "Realistic" means adding more options, sure, you can always add more units, more leaders, political options and decisions, improve the terrain system, etc.

But if you want to prevent "unrealistic" stuff to happen, then what would be the point of the game? Just play as your favorite Allied nation and do as OTL as possible.

In a realistic HOI, WWII would end 9 times out of 10 with the French and the British defeating (or at least stalemating) the German invasion in 1940. Which I guess would be an interesting scenario to explore all on its own, but it won't be considered a WWII game if you can stop Hitler so early on in his tracks most of the time. Only a very experienced player can pull off an OTL level success as Germany, and only a god of the game can pull off a successful Barbarossa and complete German dominance of mainland Europe.

I would say in a realistic HOI, the main archnemesis for the Western Allies would actually be the USSR, who they may very likely clash with after a very likely early victory against the Nazis.

The main problem for me is that Russia never recovers. From anything. I invaded it as Japan (via Sinkiang and Manchuria) and a year later it still couldn't outproduce my 50 or so divisions. This happened even with a neutral Germany.

- BNC