There have been many who have claimed that politics is a man's world. I never thought this was true; sure, most people involved in politics have been men, but there have been many notable women involved with it for a very long time.

On the other hand, there are some aspects of politics that virtually nobody would dispute are male-dominated. For example, while there have been many female monarchs and quite a few female elected heads of state and government, I can't think of anyone who would truly qualify as a female dictator. While I could see arguments being made for a few, it's hard for me to point to a female leader and call them a dictator without reservations.

Your challenge is to have there be at least one notable female dictator in an alternate timeline.

This may be OTL North Korea in a few years’ time under Kim Yo Jong. An easy option for an ATL dictator would be the spouse of an OTL dictator continuing to hold supreme power after their death.

Gonna go out a limb and propose Wu Zetian. For extra spice, after her death, there was an actual fear in the Tang dynasty that another woman would try to usurp the throne, e.g. Princess Taiping (Wu's daughter). Make Emperor Xuanzong screw up a bit and you might have two precedents for Chinese empresses taking power.

Last edited:
Neither could have and stayed in office, Hitler especially given how the Nazis set trans reseach back at least one generation.