A Storm of Steel and Fire (an alternate WW2 history)

Things just keep getting messier and messier. If the British/Free French get tied down battling guerrillas in the Mideast then that could give the Nazis as much as two extra years before they inevitably get crushed. That will not spell good things for the Jewish population of Europe.

This war is just a messy one that will haunt the world for decades to come. even though I'm not done with this timeline I'm leaving a situation will leave a world stuck in a Cold War which has the possibility to be more "hot" than OTL. Won't go further into details due to spoilers.

Two semi-related questions on the subject of Japanese-Americans ITTL:

1-You've had mini-chapters before that were from the individual perspective. Could we maybe have an entry from a perspective from one of the interned Japanese-Americans (maybe a diary entry)?

2-Has the US considered forming Japanese-American units ITTL (like the 442nd IOTL)?

Two semi-related questions on the subject of Japanese-Americans ITTL:

1-You've had mini-chapters before that were from the individual perspective. Could we maybe have an entry from a perspective from one of the interned Japanese-Americans (maybe a diary entry)?

2-Has the US considered forming Japanese-American units ITTL (like the 442nd IOTL)?

The diary thing is not a bad idea.

As of yet no they have not. I don't know if the U.S. would ITTL due to the very, very fervent hatred of the Japanese at the moment.

What's the situation in Saudi Arabia? I mean I know u talked about it a bit but does the government have debates of going to war or anything? Or do they think it's too risky with the British on all sides?

What's the situation in Saudi Arabia? I mean I know u talked about it a bit but does the government have debates of going to war or anything? Or do they think it's too risky with the British on all sides?

Saudi Arabia's government are firmly on the side of the British. The people and military are also following the British... Mostly

One more question for now if you don't mind:

That was a really good segment you had about the 'good' U.S. internment camp commander vs. that vengeful mob recently.

Since you understandably don't want to reveal future plot points, I'll just ask: have you merely considered having that mob make a return visit (perhaps larger and more armed)?

Though hopefully that commander survives. He seems like a decent guy making the best of a bad situation.

One more question for now if you don't mind:

That was a really good segment you had about the 'good' U.S. internment camp commander vs. that vengeful mob recently.

Since you understandably don't want to reveal future plot points, I'll just ask: have you merely considered having that mob make a return visit (perhaps larger and more armed)?

Though hopefully that commander survives. He seems like a decent guy making the best of a bad situation.

Yes I have considered it

And very soon.

If he hasn't set them up already, the good camp commander should probably set up machine gun towers. That mob may be back and they might try to ram the gates with cars.

Years ago I went to the site of a former Japanese-American concentration camp (Manzanar I believe was the name) and they had watchtowers there with guns in them at one point.

If he hasn't set them up already, the good camp commander should probably set up machine gun towers. That mob may be back and they might try to ram the gates with cars.

Years ago I went to the site of a former Japanese-American concentration camp (Manzanar I believe was the name) and they had watchtowers there with guns in them at one point.

(Writes down ideas)

Subbed man, pretty cool TL. Narrative sections are are really good, definitely improved since the beginning (I have to admit, when I read the first few updates I just skipped the narrative sections, but not anymore). I can't help but notice the similarities between this timeline and the initial part of the 'Shattered world' novels/timeline by Bobby Hardenbrook. Were you aware of them?

What is the extent of the lend lease between the Soviet Union and entente/USA in this TL. It must be smaller, given the entente sorta support Germany against the soviets and USA isn't currently at war against Germany. But how much is it?

Subbed man, pretty cool TL. Narrative sections are are really good, definitely improved since the beginning (I have to admit, when I read the first few updates I just skipped the narrative sections, but not anymore). I can't help but notice the similarities between this timeline and the initial part of the 'Shattered world' novels/timeline by Bobby Hardenbrook. Were you aware of them?

What is the extent of the lend lease between the Soviet Union and entente/USA in this TL. It must be smaller, given the entente sorta support Germany against the soviets and USA isn't currently at war against Germany. But how much is it?

Yes. Shattered Worlds inspired this.

There is no lend lease between the U.S./Entente and the USSR.

There is a fair amount between U.S. And Entente but that's it. There are not just two factions (allies and axis) like in otl. There are multiple.

The early part of the TL you can see the inspiration from Bobby there but I've tried to make this timeline have its own voice and tone. I hope I have succeeded there

Last edited:
Hey Tanner! Just wanted to say my five-pence. Hope you don't mind. The US-USSR lend-lease was a very significant part of the Soviet efforts against the Nazis. In this scenario, with no Lend-Lease vis-a-vis US to USSR, the Russians might find it a tad bit more difficult to get the resources to fight against the Nazis. That combined with the fact that a significant part of the Red Army is up in arms against it, unlike OTL and many of the talented mid-level commanders might be dead in the subsequent purges, the USSR must be literally hanging on by its fingernails. Not to mention now almost all of the attention of the Nazis is concentrated on the Russian Front. And last but not the least there is the Turks.

Another point, the bio-weapon attack on the West Coast, shouldn't it have been a bit more destructive or at least disruptive to the American plans vis-a-vis Japan? I mean even with modern equipment it takes around a day to confirm whether the attack was biological/chemical/whatever. It could have taken a bit longer with the 40s tech, but then I could probably wrong. Also would the American's have really checked for biological weapons among the bomb's dropped unless they knew the Japanese were using them on the West Coast? Just asking... Maybe, a few more american's would have died along the West Coast before the American's would have realized what is going on in. And it would have definitely delayed the planned invasion of the Hawaiian Islands a bit, because clean-up and quarantine/containment

Anyways, I really like where this timeline is heading as of now and I am loving it! So looking forward to the next update! Cheers! :)

Hey Tanner! Just wanted to say my five-pence. Hope you don't mind. The US-USSR lend-lease was a very significant part of the Soviet efforts against the Nazis. In this scenario, with no Lend-Lease vis-a-vis US to USSR, the Russians might find it a tad bit more difficult to get the resources to fight against the Nazis. That combined with the fact that a significant part of the Red Army is up in arms against it, unlike OTL and many of the talented mid-level commanders might be dead in the subsequent purges, the USSR must be literally hanging on by its fingernails. Not to mention now almost all of the attention of the Nazis is concentrated on the Russian Front. And last but not the least there is the Turks.

Another point, the bio-weapon attack on the West Coast, shouldn't it have been a bit more destructive or at least disruptive to the American plans vis-a-vis Japan? I mean even with modern equipment it takes around a day to confirm whether the attack was biological/chemical/whatever. It could have taken a bit longer with the 40s tech, but then I could probably wrong. Also would the American's have really checked for biological weapons among the bomb's dropped unless they knew the Japanese were using them on the West Coast? Just asking... Maybe, a few more american's would have died along the West Coast before the American's would have realized what is going on in. And it would have definitely delayed the planned invasion of the Hawaiian Islands a bit, because clean-up and quarantine/containment

Anyways, I really like where this timeline is heading as of now and I am loving it! So looking forward to the next update! Cheers! :)

The U.S. had known about bio-weapon attacks and were waiting for it to happen, but I admit I should have had the invasion delayed a few weeks while teams cleaned it up. Will correct in revision if I remember.

First time reader for this.Keep up the good work!

Welcome, thank you, and enjoy

150,000 views everyone!

Thanks for all the support everyone. I've had a lot of good feedback lately and people seen to still like this so thank you to all who view, new and old viewers. Chapter should be out tomorrow or Tuesday. Had to work extra days this week and the chapter will be long hence the delay.

We're almost halfway through 1943 and one step closer to the end of A Storm of Steel and Fire.

As always thoughts, questions, and critiques welcome.