Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope that not much changes with The Great Muppet Caper, as it's already an awesome movie. To quote the blog A Much Deeper Level:

Muppet movies generally come in two types. In Type A, the Muppets appear as themselves, usually trying to put on some sort of show, working as a loose extension of The Muppet Show. In Type B (the common post-Henson type), a public-domain story is reenacted by the Muppets, like an elongated theme episode of The Muppet Show. Then there is Type C: The Great Muppet Caper.

This was the second feature-length Muppet movie and the first full-length film directed by Jim Henson. It is also the only Muppet film directed by Henson, and when compared with the others in the original triliogy (The Muppet Movie and The Muppets Take Manhattan), it stands out as the quirkiest, the cleverest, and the Hensonest of the bunch. In kind of a weird combination of the two types mentioned above, Caper tells an original story about a jewlery heist in London, featuring the Muppets as themselves (except, not themselves). It can get a little confusing, but it is all quickly explained during the opening number.

Basically, this is a movie that is a parody of a movie. It's not a parody of a heist movie. It's just a parody of a movie, in general. Wasn't that what The Muppet Movie was for? No. That was a movie about trying to make a movie and the road trip that led up to it. While they did break the fourth wall occassionally to play with movie clichés, it was a personal story about the Muppets' journey. Caper is result of when someone takes a basic movie script and spills a bottle of Muppets all over it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I genuinely don't see anything big that the Great Muppet Caper could change to make it better without losing something in the process. Maybe the Muppet side characters could be spread out more rather than just all gathered at the Happiness Hotel, but other than that I can't see any other potential improvements.

Reader Participation Opportunity!

As you know by now there will be 2 extra seasons of The Muppet Show in this timeline. What Very Special Guest Stars do you want to see interacting with Kermit, Piggy, and the rest? Any big names from the early '80s or Old Hollywood? Any musicians? Artists of another type? The results will end up in the TL.

Post your thoughts!

- GK...

As you know by now there will be 2 extra seasons of The Muppet Show in this timeline. What Very Special Guest Stars do you want to see interacting with Kermit, Piggy, and the rest? Any big names from the early '80s or Old Hollywood? Any musicians? Artists of another type? The results will end up in the TL.

Post your thoughts!

- GK...

This may intrigue you, but years ago in the 1950s, on the Mickey Mouse Club, one of the UK's puppet stars, Sooty and his puppeteer Harry Corbett, made an appearance on what they hoped would become a foray into the American market. I think it'd be great if Harry's son, Matthew, who was Sooty's handler around this time, made a guest appearance on the show with Sooty, Soo, Sweep, Butch and Ramsbottom. Aside from him, maybe Hulk Hogan and A Flock Of Seagulls in the last season?

Last edited:
Robin Williams might be an interesting guest, he's still mostly known as Mork from Mork & Mindy at the time so there could be some fun between him and Gonzo looking into the blue weirdo's origins, or giving Fozzie some helpful advice on his stand-up routine.

Miles Davis is still kicking around, having him try to lead a Muppet orchestra could be a riot.
A jam session between Ray Charles and The Electric Mayhem would also be something I'd like to see.

I'm not familiar with the international music scene in the 80's but the opportunity to introduce someone from overseas whom the American public might not know about would be a great avenue for the show.

I second Robin Williams.

Perhaps John Belushi & Dan Aykroyd could guest in-character as The Blues Brothers? Spinning off from that, Cab Calloway was having a career revival in the 80's and might be game . Minnie the Moocher with Muppet accompaniment would be something to behold.

Orson Welles had a cameo in The Muppet Movie, perhaps he could be convinced to appear?

Last edited:
I third Robin Williams. :)

This might be a little too early, but what about "Weird Al" Yankovic? I know he had already gotten some parodies on Dr. Demento's radio show, and he would perform on Tom Snyder's show around this time.

I second Robin Williams.

Perhaps John Belushi & Dan Aykroyd could guest in-character as The Blues Brothers? Spinning off from that, Cab Calloway was having a career revival in the 80's and might be game . Minnie the Moocher with Muppet accompaniment would be something to behold.

Orson Welles had a cameo in The Muppet Movie, perhaps he could be convinced to appear?

All of those would be amazing though I'm not sure Robin Williams' time had quite come yet. Can't quite see Orson Welles doing it (being a TV special guest star is different to a movie cameo), but then again, Transformers was a thing that happened.

Post your thoughts!

- GK...

Given how much I love the Stallone episode?

Conan-era Arnold Schwarzenegger.

This may intrigue you, but years ago in the 1950s, on the Mickey Mouse Club, one of the UK's puppet stars, Sooty and his puppeteer Harry Corbett, made an appearance on what they hoped would become a foray into the American market. I think it'd be great if Harry's son, Matthew, who was Sooty's handler around this time, made a guest appearance on the show. Aside from him, maybe Hulk Hogan and A Flock Of Seagulls in the last season?

Sooty guest starring on the Muppets would sure be something.

Gerry Anderson (or some of his puppets) would also be pretty interesting. Muppets meets Terrahawks? No idea if Anderson has the right sort of humour to work well with the Muppets crew though.

fasquardon

nbcman

Donor
Betty White - and she was a guest on Johnny Carson's show on NBC so she may not have any problems with working for the competition.
Lucille Ball
Jerry Lewis
Andy Kaufman, Christopher Lloyd, or Danny DeVito from Taxi if they could work out the contract issues.
A young up and coming Jerry Seinfeld.
Devo?

Don't use Robin Williams! He is in the midst of his cocaine addiction in the early 80s and would be a poor host choice.

Too bad it wasn't 1980 instead of 1981 or else John Lennon would be a great guest host.

If they hadn't already been on...

Larry Hagman
Hulk Hogan
Sean Penn
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
Oingo Boimgo
Anyone from the main cast of The Facts of Life
The Bangles
The Go-Gos
Jeff Bridges or Bruce Boxleitner
Harry Anderson
Margaret Cho
The Pretenders
Cindi Lauper
The B-52s
Dire Straits
The J. Giels Band
Shelly Long
Ally Sheedy
Kim Catrall

Last edited:
Definitely seconding Oingo Boingo.

Also, did Don Rickles ever make an appearance on The Muppet Show IOTL? I'd pay good money to see him against Statler and Waldorf!

Betty White - and she was a guest on Johnny Carson's show on NBC so she may not have any problems with working for the competition.
Lucille Ball
Jerry Lewis
Andy Kaufman, Christopher Lloyd, or Danny DeVito from Taxi if they could work out the contract issues.
A young up and coming Jerry Seinfeld.
Devo?

Don't use Robin Williams! He is in the midst of his cocaine addiction in the early 80s and would be a poor host choice.

Too bad it wasn't 1980 instead of 1981 or else John Lennon would be a great guest host.

If they hadn't already been on...

Larry Hagman
Hulk Hogan
Sean Penn
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
Oingo Boimgo
Anyone from the main cast of The Facts of Life
The Bangles
The Go-Gos
Jeff Bridges or Bruce Boxleitner
Harry Anderson
Margaret Cho
The Pretenders
Cindi Lauper
The B-52s
Dire Straits
The J. Giels Band
Shelly Long
Ally Sheedy
Kim Catrall

If Bill Cosby hasn't been brought down by scandal yet, he could be a good special guest.

Is John Belushi still alive?

How about...
Herbie Hancock
Sterling Holloway
Mel Blanc
Hunter S. Thompson
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Rowan Atkinson
Olivia Newton-John
Larry Bird

If Bill Cosby hasn't been brought down by scandal yet, he could be a good special guest.

Is John Belushi still alive?

How about...
Herbie Hancock
Sterling Holloway
Mel Blanc
Hunter S. Thompson
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Rowan Atkinson
Olivia Newton-John
Larry Bird
KISS
David Bowie (of course)