1999: The Year All Hell Broke Loose (REDUX)

How should I write the events for this timeline?

• Total voters
Introduction
Over two years ago, I started a timeline on this site called "1999: The Year All Hell Broke Loose". I was primarily inspired for it after reading several other "chaotic year" TLs such as @Mad Bad Rabbit's A Very Bad Year (1973) and @Osakadave's Some Very Bad Years (1989 and beyond), as well as wanting to redo an old collab TL of my own that concerned Al Gore becoming president in 1999. It was the first timeline I created that wasn't collaborative, and it quickly grew popular, to the point that today it still remains one of my most popular TLs. However, I eventually abandoned it due to poor research and planning ahead on my part, to the point I feel like I wrote myself into a corner too early.

It's been over a year since I abandoned the original timeline and now, after having done some more extensive research and planning, I've decided to try and redo it. I don't know how regular updates will be, given real life and other projects on the site, but I will try to post as much as I am able to.

I would like to give credit and thanks to everyone who helped serve as major inspirations for the concept of this TL, including:

- @Mad Bad Rabbit and @Osakadave for their respective timelines mentioned above,
- @SirCecil, for both their timeline Terror in Littleton, and for offering me help and advice on certain elements of this timeline.

That being said, let's begin.

Last edited:
Over two years ago, I started a timeline on this site called "1999: The Year All Hell Broke Loose". I was primarily inspired for it after reading several other "chaotic year" TLs such as @Mad Bad Rabbit's A Very Bad Year (1973) and @Osakadave's Some Very Bad Years (1989 and beyond), as well as wanting to redo an old collab TL of my own that concerned Al Gore becoming president in 1999. It was the first timeline I created that wasn't collaborative, and it quickly grew popular, to the point that today it still remains one of my most popular TLs. However, I eventually abandoned it due to poor research and planning ahead on my part, to the point I feel like I wrote myself into a corner too early.

It's been over a year since I abandoned the original timeline and now, after having done some more extensive research and planning, I've decided to try and redo it. I don't know how regular updates will be, given real life and other projects on the site, but I will try to post as much as I am able to.

I would like to give credit and thanks to everyone who helped serve as major inspirations for the concept of this TL, including:

- @Mad Bad Rabbit and @Osakadave for their respective timelines mentioned above,
- @SirCecil, for both their timeline Terror in Littleton, and for offering me help/advice on certain elements of the timeline.

That being said, let's begin.
Love to see how you'll remake this. Watched

Semi-related to the TL on hand, I've been wondering for a while if I should write the events in this version in a newspaper article format, like that seen in several other timelinessuch as @Osakadave's Some Very Bad Years, or stick to the old format of the original version of this timeline (listing the dates with events that're happening on that date). What does everyone think?

Semi-related to the TL on hand, I've been wondering for a while if I should write the events in this version in a newspaper article format, like that seen in several other timelinessuch as @Osakadave's Some Very Bad Years, or stick to the old format of the original version of this timeline (listing the dates with events that're happening on that date). What does everyone think?
Mix of newspaper and "headline format", sorta like 2020:SF but with the vignettes replaced by newspaper articles (if you know what I mean).

So after recently reviewing the poll results, I've decided to write the timeline in a mostly newspaper article format, just like in the "Terror in Littleton" and "Some Very Bad Years" TLs. I'm currently working on writing the first official post for the TL now.