These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

Ok, the US is quite different to OTL. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

I also look forwards to how Australia develops ITTL. Have other countries colonised Australia ITTL, besides Britain?

Thanks for answering, fascinating stuff as always.

Looking forward to seeing a more multiracial Oceania ITTL, and a much tighter Commonwealth with what appears to be more legislative oversight from London.

The Privy Council of the United States is fascinating, and I'm looking forward to learning about the alternate constitutional arrangements and evolution of TTL's United States.

Keep it up :D

Oh yes, I am chomping at the bit to get more involved in Oceania and Asia in general! And yes, the United States.... is rather different. Quite different, in fact.

Ok, the US is quite different to OTL. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

I also look forwards to how Australia develops ITTL. Have other countries colonised Australia ITTL, besides Britain?

It sure is. I am exciting to discuss the United States moving forward. But... has a spoiler ever hurt anyone?

I2GLYqe.png

I like this very much. Well done!

I have one question for you. Why did Kirk not resign as prime minister after Kennedy succeeded him as party leader?

Kirk had no intention of resigning from Parliament before the election. It is convention, not law, that the leader of the largest party is Prime Minister. Kirk's stipulations for allowing a leadership election prior to the election were for him to remain on until the new Government was sworn in.

Interesting that the privy council system has existed from the start. Is the US presidency a much weaker institution than it is IRL then? And is the chair of the council considered the number two, like a PM or a VP?

I have several questions. The most pressing being "what's with those borders for Ohio?"

Spoilers ;)

Interesting that the privy council system has existed from the start. Is the US presidency a much weaker institution than it is IRL then? And is the chair of the council considered the number two, like a PM or a VP?

The President is weaker, just by the Privy Council having such power. However, since the President appoints Privy Councillors, they are not totally shut out of deliberation. The Privy Council also functions as the United States' upper chamber, so the Chairman's role is a weird hybrid of Prime Minister and Senate Majority Leader. However, the Privy Council and President have no legislative functions other than vetoes, so the House of Representatives itself is also very strong. The United States is classified as a "Presidential Council-Republic"

I noticed a few interesting things and I will elaborate my thoughts on them.

The first thing thatmy eyes beheld was that the Labour party used "Don't Change Direction Now" as one of their campaign slogans. This campaign slogan, combined with the fact that they ignored almost all of the promises they made to the people of New England in 2014, is that despite their outward progressiveness, they have become an archconservative party with an "all change is for the worse" approach to governance. It is quite interesting that a party which breaks all of their promises has the courage to ask the people they betrayed to remain faithful to them. Also, is it not interesting that the Conservatives, out of all parties, are using progressive rhetoric such as "real change" and "a new dawn", which reminds me very much of the rhetoric used by David Cameron's Conservatives in 2010.

I see the campaign slogan of the Liberals was "Steady the Ship". It looks like they decided to have a look at the campaign posters of old and shamelessly stole one of them.

Houdt Koers.png

1922 poster created by the Free-thinking Democratic League, a political party in the Netherlands. "Houdt Koers" means "Hold Firm". In the image the "Ship of State" avoids smashing on the rocks of revolution and reaction

The polls were pretty wrong, were they not? I wonder what caused the polls to show a collapse in support for the Conservatives in early May, when I suspect there was no such collapse in reality.

I also noticed that this fair country has a Monster Raving Looney party, which made me think of this tour de force of British democracy:

Democracy.png

It would be highly satisfying to see a New England party leader deliver their speech in the presence of a red humanoid creature or a knight in shining armour, or both. Do such things happen during New England election results declarations?

Last question; is there any reason why the prime minister of New Zealand appears to be the only world leader to not only refuse to congratulate the new head of government of New England, but also publicly express regret about the election results?

Your work so far is splendid, please carry on!

Indeed, the campaign was a bit different than most people would have expected. The Conservatives truly campaigned as a breath of fresh air, to restore something that they felt New England was lacking. Kennedy had the unenviable position of trying to separate himself from the incumbent Government, and to not seem to be a radical bent on new changes and creating an upset.

The polling was off, but the collapse mostly came as fallout over the "Let them Suffer" tape being released, but what polls did not capture is how far the Conservatives surged in the last days of the campaign.

And yes, absolutely, declarations are the same as in the United Kingdom, so there would absolutely be a red andromorphic creature, ect. behind the Prime Minister at one of these declarations.

Finally, the Prime Minister of New Zealand is... very opinionated... to put it mildly. Fear not, that will be explored!

Thank you very much for reading and asking questions!

That's a bit surprising, as Augusta is on the Kennebec River.

Is it one of those things where it was named, and then they discovered that they'd landed in the wrong place?

I have now been informed I was looking at Google Maps wrong. I have my map for internal purposes all in-universe. My problem here is that I had mismatched the ridings (which holds this information), and when I looked them up I just copied the name. The correct answer is Bangor, and the area around Augusta is Rivage, which forms the border between Massachusetts Bay (District of Maine) and Acadia.

I frankly blame being out of practice for ~1 year :p

Cn7Hcwj.png

Last edited:
I've literally just noticed, but whatever-New Brunswick-is-called-ITTL has a decent chunk of Maine. Though that bit has 2 guys and a dog, so the population isn't much higher.