The Whale has Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.
After finding and rereading the thread, it was on tanks that shouldn't be in service, I'm wondering if the theory Redbeard put forward may be correct. As the 2lber's round was solid it shouldn't be affected by humidity so rather than bouncing off the tanks the shells may have broken up on impact due to being a faulty batch.

It was the propellant that was the issue on the ships, that would affect the mv and penetration. However the Australians will, in any case, be bringing theit kit with them, and thats happily been shooting holes in Italian tanks for ages....:D

Garrison

Donor
The Japanese soldiers may be the first people to ask the question; 'why can't we have good tanks like the British?' :eek::)

sharlin

Banned
I'd still say the PZ-IV was superior but thats just me, the long 75mm gun was a formidable weapon and the IV's probably got better armour than the Vally. Excellent update as always Astro, the IJN and IJA are going to be in for quite the hard slog when they try to invade.

So the Grizzly is a Cruiser tank while the Valentine is upgraded to a 6 pdr.

What happens to the Churchill? Does the distinction between Infantry and Cruiser tanks get abolished earlier?

Arguments for
More time to consider, more aggressive and effective lobbying for better tanks has already yielded results.

Arguments against
Availability of effective, reliable tanks lessens the need for American types, so less exposure to American armoured equipment and practices.

What happens to Hobart's Funnies?

Interesting how the effects on Cruiser tank procurement are much bigger than Infantry tanks thus far.

What happens to the Churchill? Does the distinction between Infantry and Cruiser tanks get abolished earlier?

Arguments for
More time to consider, more aggressive and effective lobbying for better tanks has already yielded results.

Arguments against
Availability of effective, reliable tanks lessens the need for American types, so less exposure to American armoured equipment and practices.

Interesting how the effects on Cruiser tank procurement are much bigger than Infantry tanks thus far.

Matildas have been very effective so far and will be effective in Malaya as well - the infantry tank concept isn't dead yet.

General Alexander approves plans for food rationing in Singapore. The engineers have been working on possible solutions for water; if the island is invested the water supply is so far north as to be very vulnerable to enemy attack. Singapore recieves regular rain which can be collected; additional storage is being looked at. The administration is also drawing up plans for evacuation of civilians if Malaya is attacked; these will leave on small coastal shipping and on returning supply convoys for Ceylon and Australia.

This reads as been a bit ambitious. If you mean a full evacuation it's not possible and anyway the Australians would not accept the Indian, Malayan and Chinese evacuees under any circumstances. On the otherhand just evacuating the Europeans would cause huge problems post war, possibly even more than the otl surrender.

(When my parents were thinking of moving to Australia in 1970 one of the things that put them off was the fact that they had to take my 4 month old self to the High Commision in London to prove I was White)

The big difference obviously is the Commonwealth forces are actually making plans to defend Singapore instead of just sitting there fat, dumb and happy while thinking that the Japanese couldn't fly and that Malaya was all impenetrable jungle which it wasn't.

Given the range of nationalities of the forces arriving this will have major post war implications. As was said earlier I'm pleased that the Japanese will soon be getting to know Lt. Cdr. Wanklyn and his men :D

Arguments for

Arguments against

Churchill is still going, but will debut with the 6pdr.

Infantry and cruiser tanks slowly merged during the war as the cruisers had to be given thicker armour and got heavier.

Hobarts funnies may happen, but only if they have to go through the Atlantic wall

The big difference obviously is the Commonwealth forces are actually making plans to defend Singapore instead of just sitting there fat, dumb and happy while thinking that the Japanese couldn't fly and that Malaya was all impenetrable jungle which it wasn't.

If anything, a spirited and competent defence of Malay and Singapore will utterly derail their Burma campaign, never mind all the Forces there already...

sharlin

Banned
You could just upgun the Churchill to start off with a 6lber in the turret and not bother with the 3 inch howitzer in the hull. That way you still get a nice big well armoured (if painfully slow) tank that Mr Hobart and co can go wild with their imaginations on as well as being a useful replacement for the Matilda.

I assume that because most German experience is against the Russians, and the Russians are largely unchanged, that'll come in pretty much as OTL?
Basically yes.
Unless something happens to chenge things significantly (and especially in thinhs like the Eastern front which arent the main thrust of this story), they stay pretty much as OTL

Status
Not open for further replies.