Relaunched Moonshot "The Journeys of the Saturn"

Is there not a mention of the Apollo Applications program? How will this fit in this TL? How about the chances of Scott Carpenter remaining in the corps in this TL and even working in AAP, which would be a perfect opportunity given his nature and experience. I always thought he got screwed by Chris Kraft following his Aurora 7 flight and he should have been given a second chance to redeem himself. I would love to see the look on Kraft's face if Deke and Al demand that Carpenter get a flight in AAP.

The problem is Carpenter injuried his arm in a motorbike accident. He was grounded and even after healing his mobility was limited and he was grounded from spaceflight. He eventually resigned from NASA in August 1967. Carpenter would be a good fit for Skylab but based on how everything went down I realistically don't really see it happening. There is plenty of qualified astronauts for Skylab that don't have Carpenter's baggage.

The Apollo Application program will be dealt with in more detail as the story progresses.

Apollo - Part -3

Thursday December 15th, NASA Space Center Houston –Robert Gilruth’s office– Director of manned spaceflight systems
“Gus and Al, Go ahead and grab a seat. Thank you both for coming by.”
Gus Grissom and Al Shepard nodded and took a seat. Also sitting at the table was George Low, Deke Slayton and Samuel Phillips.

“Well to start with, Mr Shea has accepted a role in Washington DC for NASA and George is going to take over the Apollo Spacecraft program. We are also moving back the launches for Apollo 1 and 2 by at least 6-months. We want everyone to feel comfortable with the spacecraft before we launch. The 12 capsule is on its way back to Downey. However Apollo 1 will launch with the 14 Capsule since it is in better condition and Apollo 2 will use the 12 capsule since it needs more work. I am sorry Gus I know you have put a lot of effort into that capsule but we need to swap them around so more work can be done on the 12 capsule.”

“I understand Mr. Gilruth as long as we have the time, we can get the 12 capsule fixed properly.”
“Thanks for understanding that Gus. Any other questions? No good we have a lot of work to do. Al you just got yourself 6-more months to get the capsule ready.”
“We will be ready Mr. Gilruth. Thank you for listening to or concerns. Come on Gus lets get going. You can show me what you have done to 14.”

Friday March 10, 1967 – NASA Space Center Houston

John F. Kennedy was having a great time in Houston. Despite his back hurting all morning he really enjoyed the tour of the facility. He especially enjoyed the demonstration by Astronaut Pete Conrad in the Lunar Module simulator. He took the president through a simulated landing on the moon. Kennedy really enjoyed listening to Pete Conrad and his colorful narration of what was happening during the simulated landing. Conrad was really smart and it seemed like the man really enjoyed his work as astronaut. He knew the Lunar Module inside and out. Conrad had a few colorful words when the simulator stopped working because the computer froze up. It seemed that some of the senior management at NASA where a little put off by Conrad exuberance and his colorful phrases. However the President made sure to tell Webb how much he enjoyed Conrad’s demonstration of a moon landing. Now it was time to sit down and discuss the future of the space program.

“Mr President, I am going to go over where we are at currently with launch vehicles and propose some future developments” Dr. Wernher Von Braun stood up to make his presentation.

“For Apollo Launch Vehicles, we have moved from the Saturn 1 to Saturn IB. The IB launch vehicle has already successfully flown several test flights of the Apollo hardware. The IB launch vehicle has over double the payload of the Saturn I vehicle to Earth Orbit. The IB and Saturn V both share the same upper stage the S-IVB which is the 3rd stage in the Saturn V. The next flight of the Saturn IB should carry the Apollo 1 crew into orbit. This will be the primary launch vehicle for Earth Orbit work and has a payload capacity of around 21 tons. The Saturn V is much more complicated launch vehicle yet it is coming along well. I will Mr. Rudolph talk to you about the Saturn V since he is managing this program.”
Arthur Rudolph stood up and moved over to the Saturn V model as Von Braun sat down.

“Thank you Dr. Von Braun. Mr. President, These models of the rockets are all to the same scale and as you can see the Saturn V is a much more massive launch vehicle than the Saturn IB. The Saturn V has almost 5 times the mass of the IB vehicle. This vehicle should have it’s first test flight later this year. This vehicle gives us the capability of launching around 45 tons to Trans-Lunar injection and 118 tons in Low Earth Orbit. The Saturn V consists of 3 stages. The first stage is the IC stage with mass of over 2,000 tons with fuel and is propelled by 5 F1 engines. This stage is built by Boeing at a Government Facility in Michoud Mississippi. However the initial development work for the 1C stage was done by the Marshall Space Flight Center. The 2nd stage uses 5 J-2 engines and has a mass of almost 500 tons with fuel. The primary purpose of the 1st stage is to get the Saturn V up into the thinner part of the atmosphere, over 25 miles up. The 2nd stage then take over and its increase the velocity of the launch vehicle to almost orbital velocity. The 2nd stage is being developed and built by North American in their Seal Beach, CA facility. The 3rd stage of the vehicle is the S-IVB stage which is built by Douglas Aircraft at their Huntington Beach facility. This stage during a lunar mission will fire twice. During the first ignition the stage will fire for just a couple of minutes to finish placing the Command/Service Module along with the lunar module into what we are calling a temporary parking earth orbit. After a couple of orbits, when it is confirmed that all systems are operating correctly the stage will fire again to place the vehicle into a lunar trajectory. After the burn the command/service module will separate from the S-IVB and turn around and dock with the Lunar Module and then extract the Lunar Module from the S-IVB. “

Rudolph paused and looked over his audience.

“We can significantly increase the payload capacity of the Saturn V to allow it to launch heavier payloads both into orbit and to the Moon. I will let Dr. Von Braun take over from here. “Rudolph sat down.

“Thank you Mr Rudolph” Von Braun stood up and stepped forward again. He moved over to a model of the Saturn V sitting on top the Mobile Launch Platform and a scale model of the Vertical Assembly Building.

“Mr President. We have a lot of different proposals to modify the Saturn V to both increase it’s max payload and to also provide more intermediate payloads between the IB and the V. The first issue that we deal with is the doors to the Vertical Assembly building at Cape Canaveral. They are 456 feet high fully opened however with the Mobile Launch platform, crawler transporter and the launch tower the current height of the Saturn V as it leaves the complex is 424 feet which give us around 30 feet of clearance, which isn’t a lot to work with to increase the payload.”

“Excuse me Dr Von Braun.” The president interrupted “You mean a 456 foot high door isn’t tall enough?”

“Yes Mr. President in certain proposed launch vehicles the door will not be tall enough. We have two options to either raise the roof of the building and the height of the doors or install a crane to support the final assembly of the rocket outside. We are proposing that the overall height of the building and doors be increased. Luckily the VAB was originally designed so if needed the roof of the building could be raised to facilitate larger vehicles without tearing down the entire facility. This option gives us the most flexibility going forward with launch vehicle size. However this will impact our ability to use the Pads 39A and B for a period 12 months while the VAB roof is raised and the doors modified. We want to increase the door height by 100 feet. “ Von Braun paused and looked around to see if anyone had questions.

“Let’s discuss the actual launch vehicles. After careful analysis we see a lot of potential to use solid rocket boosters to increase the launch payload of vehicles while keeping overall costs down. Over the last several years Aerojet has been working on large Solid Rocket Boosters. They have been testing rocket boosters up to a diameter of 260” with a thrust exceeding 7 million lbs. By using the Solid Rocket Boosters to either work in conjunction with the 1st stage of a Saturn V or replace the 1st stage of a Saturn V or Saturn 1 we can lower the costs to place payloads into orbit or to the moon. By attaching 4 260” Solid Rocket Boosters to a Saturn V 1st stage and stretching all the stages, we can launch payloads to trans-lunar injection of 120 tons, which is as much as the current Saturn V can place into Earth Orbit. Also by adding a parachute system to the Solid Rocket Boosters we can then recover the empty rocket bodies after use and they can be re-used for future launches.”

“Dr Von Braun” The President spoke up “Why haven’t we used Solid Rocket Boosters before with the Saturn?”

“Mr. President, the reason is that we didn’t have a lot of experience with large Solid Rocket Boosters and we understood liquid engines better. With the time frame we had to work with in getting to the Moon we felt more comfortable in building on the technology of Liquid boosters. Myself and the MSFC felt more comfortable with liquid fuel engines. However over the last several years through research we have been increasing or knowledge base of Solid Rocket Boosters. One of the big dangers of Solid Rocket Boosters is that once ignited they cannot be easily turned off. With a liquid engine we just cut the fuel to the engine however in Solids that is almost impossible. However we feel that by using a monolithic solid rocket chamber and by having a launch escape system in case something goes wrong in the Solid Rocket Booster, we have minimized the possibility of loss of life when using Solid Rocket Boosters. “

“Thank you Dr Braun, that seems reasonable, you were hedging your bets.”

“We are still pushing forward on liquid rocket engine development. Rocketdyne is working on a new version of the F1 engine that we will call the F1A. This engine will have 1.8 million pounds of thrust which will be an increase of almost 20% over the current F1 engine. For the 2nd and 3rd stage we are pushing forward on development of a brand new engine called the HG-3 engine. This new HG-3 engine will be even more efficient and powerful than the current J-2 engine used in the Saturn upper stages. These new engines would work in conjunction with the Solid Rocket Boosters and new Saturn V stages to produce a launch vehicle capable of launching over 300+ tons into Earth Orbit.” Dr Von Braun paused.

The President let out a low whistle. “Well I guess we are not behind the Soviets in launch capability anymore are we guys?” The President heard a chuckle go through the room. “Go ahead Dr.”

“Thank you Mr. President. We also can use a combination of Solid Rocket Boosters and Saturn Stages to meet various payload needs. For example by changing out the 1st stage of a Saturn 1B with the new 260” Solid Rocket Booster and using a new S-IVB stage with the new HG-3 engine we can increase the Saturn 1B capability to Earth Orbit and by using a Solid Rocket Booster for the 1st stage we can also lower launch costs considerably. We can use multiple different combinations of Solid Rocket Boosters and the Saturn hardware to allow various ranges of payloads to orbit and beyond. We have provided to you various studies on different combinations. However the key part of the proposal is the continued use of the Saturn Hardware to continue to push space exploration. Any questions Mr President?”

“Yes Dr., launch vehicles are one thing. What about the hardware that it will be launching? The spacecraft that will be using this increased payload?”
“Yes Mr President. Let me have Mr. Low takeover, he is in charge of the Apollo spacecraft program”

As George Low stood up and stepped forward to brief the President. “Thank you Dr. Von Braun. Mr President looking forward we will continue to leverage the current Apollo Hardware where possible to explore the moon and develop a manned space station. The overall program to leverage this hardware is being called the Apollo Applications Program. The lunar exploration part is called LESA, Lunar Exploration System for Apollo. The LESA program would be dual launch missions. The first launch which will be completely unammed, will land a LLV (Lunar Landing Vehicle) on the surface of the moon. This LLV will include a complete LESA shelter system, consumables, and pressurized lunar roving vehicle called MOLAB. This base station can support 4 astronauts over a period of 3-4-months. After the LESA shelter has landed and confirmed it is working the astronauts would launch on a separate Saturn rocket to the moon. They would use a modified Command Service Module that can be placed in unmanned hibernation status in Lunar Orbit. The astronauts would land in what we are calling a LM Taxi whose purpose would be to transport astronauts from Lunar Orbit to the surface and then back to Lunar Orbit after the mission is over. Using this type of system we could conduct extensive surveys of large parts of the moon’s surface. Each LESA mission would allow over 500+ man days on the surface of the moon. After several missions we would then be able to identify a site that would make a good location for permanently manned lunar base. We would then use the same LLV system to set up a permanent lunar base. “

“OK what will the astronauts be doing while on the surface? We obviously need to move beyond just plant the flag missions. I really want to see exploration of the moon and show the Soviets that American is going to the moon to stay and not just land a couple of missions and go home. However this is costing a lot of money and I want to be able to show that this is about more than just beating the Soviets.”

“That is a great question Mr. President. The first several moon missions will just be more engineering exercises but after we have the techniques down we are looking at sending scientists. We already have a group of 5 scientist-astronauts that have finished astronaut training. We are also looking at selecting another group of scientist astronauts later this year. After the first series of missions are completed we will start sending these science astronauts along on the missions. That is why the 4 man crew will be important. The 4th person would be a science astronaut. These science astronauts would be conducting experiments and field work in Geology, Geochemistry, Particles and Fields, Astronomy.“
President Kennedy put his hand up to “Mr. Low, I don’t want to wait until these LESA missions to get actual scientists on the moon. From my understanding these science astronauts are going through full flight training. I don’t see why if they are not qualified they cannot be on the first series of missions to the lunar surface. Not as a Commander but as a, what do you call that position Lyndon?”

“Lunar Module Pilot Mr President.”

President Kennedy stood up and walked to the front of the room. “Thank you Lyndon, you have a better memory than me. Send a science astronaut as a Lunar Module Pilot. We need to do this after the first couple of missions. After we figure out we can land on the moon we need to start making science and exploration a mission priority of the Apollo missions. I will not let Apollo become just an engineering exercise. This isn’t what Apollo is about. Apollo is more than that. Apollo is about leaving Earth for the first time and exploring another world. The moon isn’t just a finish line. Can we all agree on that?”

“I see a lot of nodding of heads. Where is Deke Slayton?”

“I am right here Mr. President.”

“Deke, who stuck you all the way in the back? Deke I know you have some of the best pilots in the world working for you at NASA. I also know from what I have been told that you are the man that picks the crews. Well that is if Pete Conrad is to be believed.” President Kennedy paused as the meeting attendees laughed. “Can you promise me that you give these science astronauts a fair shake for crew selection? I know they will never be test pilots but they are being trained by some of the best pilots in the world. Just give them a fair shot at crew assignments if they can meet the grade.”

“I can do that Mr. President. If they can demonstrate that they have the skill set I will assign them to a crew.”

“Thanks Deke. I appreciate it. Ok when the first crew lands on the moon how are you going to broadcast it for the world to see?”

“Mr President.” George Low who was still standing” We have a contract with Westinghouse for a B&W TV camera. We are working on designs to mount the camera on the outside of the LM to broadcast the first steps on the lunar surface.”
“Black & White? This is 1967 and we are planning to broadcast the first steps in Black & White? Who made that decision?”

George Low looked very uncomfortable standing up-front next to President. Both James Webb and Thomas Paine stood up and then looked at each other. James Webb spoke first.
“Mr. President we are looking at all options but we need a robust TV camera that is both light and can operate in extreme environments. However we will explore both options of either a B&W or Color TV Camera. However please remember that we are trying to cut weight as much as possible in the Lunar Module and it might not be possible to have a Color TV camera on the first couple of missions. “

“Ok fair enough James but I really want a color TV camera if at all possible. I want to be able to see those first steps clearly and in color for the entire world to see. Not some crappy B&W picture.”

“Yes Mr. President I understand. We will see what we can do.”

“Thank you James. Thank you gentleman for having me here today. I really enjoyed the tour of the facility. I am looking forward to the first Saturn V and Apollo 1 and 2 later this year. However it is time for lunch and I do not want to keep Shepard, Grissom and their crews waiting.”
James and Thomas looked at each other at that announcement.

“Mr. President, we had arranged for catered lunch in the next room.” James Webb looked puzzled.

“Sorry James, I am going to take a rain check. A couple of months ago I had called Al to see how things were going, and we chatted and he told me the next time I was in Houston he would take me to lunch. I am going to take him up on the offer. So sorry gentleman I am going to have lunch with some astronauts. Where are you Conrad? ”

“I am right here Mr President.” Pete Conrad was standing in the back of the room.
“Great, is the vet ready to go?”
“Yes Mr President all ready for takeoff. “
“Great let’s get out of here.”

President Kennedy strolled out of the room, leaving the startled NASA Administrators behind looking at each other. The secret service agents rushed after Kennedy. Nobody had told them about a Corvette ride.

Deke Slayton could hardly suppress his grin. Al Sheppard managed to pull a gotcha on the entire NASA administration team and there was nothing they could to about it. He would have to talk to Shepard later and get the complete story.

Last edited:
Apollo - Part - 4

Over the next several months the issues with the Apollo Capsule where documented and corrective action was taken. North American reviewed their processes and made several improvements to improve documentation and work processes on the Apollo spacecraft. After some prodding by Al Shepard a test of how material would handle a 16+ PSI pure oxygen environment with a fire was conducted. This test finally brought home the hazard of a pressurized pure oxygen environment inside the capsule. It was too late to change the atmosphere on the block I capsule but the block II capsule atmosphere was changed to use a Nitrogen and Oxygen environment on the ground that would that would vent as the Capsule ascended during launch to a 5 psi pure Oxygen environment in space. North American had originally recommended such a system but NASA had rejected as it was thought to be un-necessary. However NASA was now realizing the danger of fire in a pressurized pure Oxygen environment.

All wiring in the Apollo Capsules would now be covered with protective insulation to minimize the danger of shorts and as much as possible flammable materials in the cabin where removed to help reduce the fire hazard. At one point serious discussion occurred if it would be better to eliminate the use of the Block I capsule with astronauts considering the potential hazards and wait to launch until the Block II capsules where ready. However it would be until the 3rd quarter of 1968 before a Block II capsule would be ready for launch with astronauts on-board. So it was agreed that if Al and Gus and their crews where ok with the risks the Apollo 1 and 2 missions would go ahead with using the block I capsule. The Apollo 1 and 2 crews were aware of the dangers however they also knew that these flights would be important for the overall program to move forward so they felt it was worth the risk with the block I capsule since everyone would have a better understanding of what the dangers where. The risk of a 16+ psi pressurized pure Oxygen environment would only be present during ground tests and right before launch because soon after the launch the environment would lower to only 5 psi of pure Oxygen. The risks inherent in the block I capsule were never fully acknowledged by NASA or the astronauts that flew those missions to the public until years later. To acknowledge those risks publically would have created a public debate that neither the astronauts nor the NASA administration wanted to engage in.

The original block 1 spacesuits were completely redesigned to use beta-cloth which was much more fire resistant than the Nylon in the block 1 suits. The hatch was redesigned so it would now be outward opening hatch that could be quickly opened in the event of a fire in the cabin. However there wasn’t time to incorporate the suit changes and the hatch redesign into the Apollo 1 and 2 missions. These two missions would fly with the older style inward opening hatch and block1 spacesuits.

A sobering reminder of how dangerous space flight occurred on April 24th 1967 when Soyuz 1 crashed during it’s return to Earth and killed the cosmonaut Colonel Vladimir Komarov on impact. This was the first in-flight fatality in the history of spaceflight. During re-entry both the Main parachute and the reserve chute failed to open. This would result in an 18-month delay day in Soyuz launches until the problems with the capsule could be corrected. What was not known at the time by NASA is the impact that this would have on the overall Soviet Lunar program.

The Apollo 1 mission finally lifted off on August 8, 1967 with Al Shepard as the Command Pilot, Edward White as the Senior Pilot and Roger Chaffee as the Pilot. Apollo 1 orbited the Earth for 8-days and tested major systems of the Apollo Command/Service Module including the firing of the critical of the Service Propulsion System that in the future would take the Apollo capsule into and out of lunar orbit. The CSM SPS performed well and was fired a total of 6 times to test the system out. It was originally planned that the Apollo 1 crew would practice docking with the S-IVB, however one of the adapter panels didn’t open all the way on the S-IVB. If this would have been a lunar mission this would have impacted the crew’s ability to remove the LM. It was decided that on future missions a system to completely jettison the adapter panels would be incorporated.

Overall the mission was rated a complete success and the astronauts enjoyed the more roomy command module compared to a Gemini Capsule. Al Shepard and Ed White thought the Apollo Command module was downright roomy in Zero-G compared to the cramped Gemini capsule. Also the astronauts were much more comfortable since they could get completely out of their space-suits and wear a simple flight suit inside the Command Module. One issue that didn’t come out until after the mission was completed that for the first couple of days the entire crew experienced some motion sickness. The crew didn’t say anything during the mission and was only mentioned after the conclusion of the mission, during the debrief. This puzzled the NASA medical doctors and they were not sure what caused the motion sickness. Both Al and Ed on their previous space flights had no issues with motion sickness. Based on President Kennedy insistence on having a TV camera on the lunar missions it was decided to fly the mission with a B/W TV Camera and the Apollo 1 crew used the camera to do the first ever live TV transmission from orbit. The picture quality wasn’t the best but NASA assured the President that over the next several missions they would work on improving the quality of the broadcast and add color.

Almost a month later, SA-501 was launched on November 9, 1967. This was the first launch of the Saturn V vehicle and it would be a unmanned test. President Kennedy journeyed to the Cape to witness the launch of the massive rocket that he had first described in September 1962 during his famous speech at Rice University. Senior NASA administrators were worried about the President being onsite for the launch. Having the first launch of the Saturn V being an all up test of all stages of the rocket at once was a huge risk for NASA. However this method was necessary if the moon was to be reached before the end of the decade. The President had been briefed that potentially the launch could go very badly. The Secret Service would have liked the President to watch the launch on TV, safely away from the huge rocket and all it’s explosive fuel. When the Secret Service asked NASA what the worst case scenario was for a Saturn V explosion was they were handed a detailed NASA report on how big the fireball could potentially be. The Secret Service after reviewing the document, tried to talk the President out of attending the launch. However President Kennedy mind was made up that he would be attending the launch in person. The only thing the Secret Service could do was have a M113 nearby for the President and if things went bad it was the job of the Agents to get the President into the M113 and away from the Exploding Saturn V as quickly as possible.

The unmanned test mission would be called Apollo-4 even though this presented an out of order mission numbering because Apollo 2 still had not launched yet. Somehow during all the mission shuffling the designation of Apollo 3 would never be used. On November 6 the 56 ½ hour countdown was started and 89 trailer truck loads of Liquid Oxygen, 28 trailer loads of Liquid Hydrogen and 27 rail cars of RP-1 (refined Kerosene) were loaded into the rocket. During the launch all 3 stages of the Saturn V worked well and placed the S-IVB and the spacecraft into orbit. The 5 F-1 engines produced so much sound pressure that the noise buffeted the Vertical Assembly Building, launch control and the press buildings. The sound pressure even caused ceiling tiles to fall around Walter Cronkite who still managed to deliver his on-air description of the launch. For future Saturn-V launches, NASA would build a sound suppression system that would pump thousands of gallons of water into the flame trench to damper the sound pressure.

The S-IVB was re-ignited in orbit for the first time and put the Apollo Spacecraft on an elliptical orbit with a perigee below the Earth’s surface. The CSM was then separated and the Service Module Engine was ignited to increase the re-entry speed and raise the orbit even further to better simulate a return from the moon. The CM successfully splashed down in the Pacific and was recovered. From beginning to end the mission was an outstanding success and fully validated the all up testing method first proposed by George Mueller.

The next mission to be launched would be Apollo 2 with Gus Grissom as the Commander, Donn Eisele as the Senior Pilot and Walter Cunningham as the Pilot. Apollo 2 would lift off from Launch Complex 34 and was planned as full 14-day mission. The mission would eclipse the endurance record of Gemini 7 by just a couple of hours. Apollo 2 mission used, Capsule 12 that was originally intended for the Apollo 1 crew but had been swapped so all the issues with the Capsule 12 could be corrected. Gus commented that by the time the North American crew where done with Capsule 12 it was practically a brand new capsule. The launch went smoothly and on December 5, 1967 Apollo 2 cleared the tower. On this mission both Eisele and Cunningham suffered from motion sickness for the first couple of days. Gus has been briefed by the medical team to report back on any motion sickness issues and the crew dutifully reported down the issues. This report set of a minor storm in the press as to what was causing this mysterious space sickness. Gus wondered if the motion sickness wasn’t being caused by the ability to move around more in Zero-G that was possible before in the smaller capsules. In his Mercury and Gemini missions he was strapped into the seat the entire time and there wasn’t much moving around in Zero-G. The Apollo Command module allowed the astronauts to get out of their spacesuits and really experience Zero-G for the first time by floating free in the Command Module. After all the excitement and several conferences with the flight surgeon, 48-hours later both Eisele and Cunningham both felt a lot better and seemed to have fully recovered.

This time the panels on the S-IVB separated properly and Gus was able to practice the technique that would be used on Lunar Missions to remove the Lunar Module from the top of the S-IVB. The Service Module engine was ignited repeatedly and was given another in-orbit test. This was an important piece of equipment because the Service Module engine was the astronaut’s ticket home. If the engine failed to fire they would be left to circle the moon forever. The crew did another broadcast from Orbit using a B/W TV Camera of the same type that was used previously on Apollo 1. The 10 fps picture was still very grainy and the lack of camera viewfinder made it difficult for the astronauts to aim the camera accurately. After 14-days in Earth orbit the Apollo 2 crew splashed down in the Pacific. The crew achieved all their objectives assigned to them in the mission and with 1967 coming to a close it seemed that the moon was getting closer than ever.

Last edited:
Apollo - Part 5

This chapter for me was difficult to write. I had to wrap in a lot of changes and this is where things really start changing in this TL as Kennedy tries to setup his legacy with a large space program than we are used to. I hope people enjoy reading it. This chapter was originally written several weeks ago but I have been going over it several times and tweaking things, even moving on written the next several chapters. One of the key changes that I am incorporating is the use of multi-year procurement contracts for funding of launch vehicles to drive per launch vehicle costs. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Apollo - Part 5

1968 would start off very quickly with the launch on January 23 of Apollo-5 an un-manned Lunar Module on a Saturn 1B into Earth orbit. The mission would test both the Descent and Ascent engines of the Lunar Module in Earth Orbit. The initial firing of the Descent engine did not work correctly. However the ground controllers where able to move to alternate way to fire the Descent engine and it was fired successfully twice. The Ascent engine was then fired and everything performed well. The LM-1 was left in Low Earth Orbit and within a couple of weeks both the Descent and Ascent stages would re-enter the Earth Atmosphere and burn up. The successful completion of this mission cleared the way for the next launch which would be another un-manned test launch of the Saturn-V called Apollo-6.

February 5, 1968 AeroJet Production and Test Facility outside Homestead Florida.

“Welcome Dr. Von Braun to or facility.” The AeroJet Company representative shook Dr Von Braun’s hand.

“Thank you, are we ready to begin the testing soon?”

“Yes Dr. we will be ready to being shortly. This will be a full scale test of the 260” inch solid. We should be able to generate over 7,000,000 lbf of thrust. The Solid is so powerful we have had to invert it and stick it into the ground in a specially excavated silo. We heard that during or last test the flame from the rocket was visible in Miami over 30 miles away.”

Von Braun snorted “Well we will see if you can generate over 7,000,000 pounds of thrust with one solid engine. If you are successful you will be generating almost as much thrust of the 1st stage of the Saturn V.”
“All or data and testing shows that we should be able to. The last test we generated over 6,000,000 pounds of thrust. We are in the final countdown now. “

A couple of seconds later a huge jet of flame shot out of the ground. The test was being conducted at night and the sky was being lit up by the flame. Shortly after the roar of the solid rocket engine hit Braun. The solid engine burned for 114 seconds and hit a peak thrust of 7.2 Million pounds of thrust. Von Braun and the MSFC team where impressed. This type of thrust attached to the 1st stage of the Saturn-V would allow for a significant increase of payload. Also a solid this powerful allowed for some interesting rocket combinations of varying payload capability relatively cheaply compared to using liquid fueled stages. Now he needed to talk to Boeing on how they were coming along on the new 1st stage design that would be able to withstand the power of having 4 of these AeroJet beasts attached to it.

To keep the production lines running until the new version of the Saturn-V rocket came online the original order for 15 Saturn-V had 3 more launch vehicles added to it bring the total to 18 Saturn-V launch vehicles. The incremental cost of adding 3 more launch vehicles was not large since all the development work had already been paid for and the production lines where already running. A couple of the manufacturers had already assumed that more orders would follow and had already started ordering long team items for the 16th and 17th Saturn V’s. After the 18th Saturn-V came off the line then the production line would shift to the improved Saturn-Vs. For the Improved Saturn-V the 1st stage would be stretched by almost 500 inches, the 2nd stage would be stretched by 156 inches and the 3rd stage by 198 inches. The new stages would have more propellant and more powerful engines. For the Saturn IB first stage, it was going to be replace entirely by the 260” SRB. However before the S-IB production line was shutdown NASA wanted to have a stock of S-IB’s on hand. The original buy of S-IB stages was currently planned for 14 units. This was increased by 4 more units and then the S-IB production line would be shut down for good. This would allow an inventory of S-1B stages that NASA could draw on in case of issues with the new 260” SRB.

Each stage would have its own challenges to deal with a area of concern was the 1st stage. The original Saturn-V 1st stage the 1C has been designed by the MSFC (Marshall Space Flight Center) by Dr Von Braun’s team of engineers. In typical Germanic fashion the 1C stage was built like a German King Tiger Tank and it was over engineered structurally for the job. However when it came time to stretch the stage by 41.5 feet and add in mounting point for the four 260 inch Solid Rocket Boosters the Boeing engineers were glad that the 1C stage was over engineered structurally. The new F1A engines where not an issue, the current design could easily handle this. The problem was the 260 inch Solid Rocket Boosters. Each Booster would put out almost 7.2 Million lbs of force and each of the SRBs full of solid fuel would weigh over 1600 metric tons each. At lift off the rocket full of fuel would weigh over 10,700 tons which was staggering considering what was being called the block-1 Saturn-V, weighed only 2800 tons at lift-off. The 4x 260inch Solid Rocket Boosters and the F1A engines on the 1st stage would have at lift off a staggering 40+ Million lbf of thrust at sea-level and over 178,000 Kilo-Newtons of force. All of this force and weight would be on the new 1st stage. The old 1st stage had a Dry Mass of 135 tons; the new 1st stage would easily have a Dry Mass of over 200 tons. Not only would the new 1st stage have to cope with the tremendous forces, parts of the 1st stage vehicle would have to withstand the extreme highly temperatures from the jet of flame that the SRB’s would be producing. This would be a tough engineering challenge for Boeing. However with assistance from the MSFC they felt they could meet the challenge of producing a new 1st stage that could cope with the massive forces it would be exposed to in this new design.

Compared to what the Boeing Team had to deal with the team at North American Rockwell felt they were getting off easy. This was welcome change, from the reaming they got from NASA leadership in 1967 over the challenges with the Apollo Command module. However North American Rockwell had worked through the challenges and had come out of with better processes and procedures. The new S-II stage would be called the S-IIB stage and would involve a stretch of 156 inches and new engines from Rocketdyne which were being called the HG-3. The Dry mass of the S-II stage was 42 tons and North American expected the stretched S-IIB stage would weigh around 60 tons Dry. However they were hearing that the HG-3 engine development was not going as smoothly as expected and there could be change in engine from the HG-3 to the J2-S. They were also informed that possibly the last 3 recently ordered S-II stages might have their engines changed over to the J2-S also. However the engineering team took this all in stride. They didn’t want another visit by General Phillips.

The new 3rd stage of the Saturn would also become the new stage for the improved Saturn 1 which would have it’s 1st stage replaced with the 260” Solid Rocket Booster from Aerojet. The stretch of the S-IVB would be a 198 inches. The old S-1VB had a dry mass of around 13 tons and the new stage being called the S-IVC would have a dry mass of around 20 tons. The difficulty for McDonnell Douglas (McDonnell and Douglas Aircraft Corporations had merged in 1967) was the demand for the S-IVB. They not only had all the Saturn-V 3rd stages to produce but the S-IVB was the 2nd stage of the Saturn 1B. Between the orders for the all the rockets, the total S-IVB production run would be at least 36 S-IVB stages, not including static test units. McDonnell Douglas also had an order for 4 additional S-IVB stages. They would be converted into space stations to be launched on the Saturn-V as part of the Skylab project. In between these busy fabrications schedule, McDonnell Douglas would also have to design and build a stretched S-IVC stage. To make the entire thing more interesting there was discussion that the HG-3 engine wouldn’t be ready anytime soon and there could a change in engine from the HG-3 to the J2-S on the S-IVC and design the stage with either engine in mind. This wasn’t helped that the only firm design plans they got from Rocketdyne where for the J2-S and they only got vague details on the HG-3. NASA had also informed McDonnell of the last block of stages that were ordered.

The Saturn-V also known as SA-502 lifted off on April 4, 1968. Everyone hoped that this mission being called Apollo-6 would be a repeat of the successful Apollo-4 launch. This time the S-IVB would be burned to place the CSM (Command-Service-Module) into trans-lunar injection. Immediately after trans-lunar injection the CSM main engine would be ignited replicating a direct abort scenario. However 2 minutes after launch the 1st stage experienced severe pogo oscillations up and down the entire rocket body for about 30 seconds. These oscillations where so severe, that the adapter that attached the CSM to the rocket started to have structural issues. Airborne cameras recorded several pieces falling off the rocket during the final part of the 1st stage burn. If a crew was on-board the pogo oscillations would have probably caused an abort. However the problems were not over for SA-502. Shortly after the S-II stage ignited, this stage also started to have problems. The number 2 engine started to have performance problems and finally the performance dropped off so much that the Instrument Unit shutdown the number 2 engine but within a couple of seconds the number 3 engine also shutdown. Despite having two engines shutdown, the instrument unit was able to compensate with the 3 remaining engines and SA-502 was able to limp into orbit. However the problems would continue with Apollo-6 when the J2 engine on the S-IV stage failed to reignite for Trans Lunar Injection. Instead the CSM engine had to be used to raise the orbit of the CSM. There wasn’t enough fuel to speed up Atmosphere entry to lunar return speeds and the capsule re-entered the atmosphere at 33,000 feet per second instead of the planned 37,000 feet per second of a lunar return speed. Despite all the issue the Command Module managed to splash down on target in the Pacific Ocean.

The key now was to first identify what caused all the problems and get them corrected before the next Saturn-V flight which would probably be carrying astronauts. The pogo problem seemed the easiest to fix since it had was well know what was causing the issue. To further dampen oscillations, the cavities in the fuel pumps and feed line systems would be filled with Helium gas and this would act like a shock absorber. The problems in the 2nd and 3rd stage would be more difficult to trace down. After reviewing closely the telemetry during the launch and further testing on the ground. The fault would be traced to the fuel line that fed the engine igniters with liquid Hydrogen. The line had frozen and had then broken because of the vibration. This resulted in too much Liquid Oxygen being fed directly into the pressure chamber and this eventually caused the failure of the chamber so the Number-2 engine was shutdown. However the wiring for engine 2 and 3 were crossed so when the command was given to shutdown Engine 2 it also shutdown engine 3. The line had also broken on the S-IVB stage but the pressure chamber had not failed. However without the igniter the engine couldn’t be restarted for the TLI burn. The fix for the igniter problem was to replace the flexible parts of the line where the break occurred with stainless steel pipe. While all these failures would have aborted a manned mission. However NASA considered the flight a valuable shakedown of the Saturn rocket. It was better to have these types of failures occur on an un-manned flight than on a manned mission.

In June of 1968 President Kennedy worked with Lyndon Johnson and James Webb to put together legislation that was called the 1968 National Space Framework. Johnson was already busy preparing for the 1968 presidential election. He had secured enough delegates for the Democratic presidential nomination, however Kennedy knew that the 1968 Presidential Election would still be a tough fight for Johnson. His opponent would be Richard Nixon who had staged a comeback after his humiliating loss to Pat Brown in the 1962 election for CA Governor. The proposal they were hoping would set the tone for the national space program through the next decade by leveraging the hardware that was developed this decade. They knew it would be a tough sell to the US public and administration. The proposals would secure multi-year contracts for both the development and production of new Apollo based hardware. The first contract was for the launch vehicles. The manufacturers had already been selected and the contract would be broken up into several parts. The AeroJet Company would be building the Solid Rocket boosters in both 156” and 260” sizes in their facility outside of Miami. By building at this facility this would allow the easy movement of the massive monolithic SRB bodies by barge up the Florida coast using the Intercostal waterway. The total Saturn V series block-II contract would run over 12 years with the contract delivery from all manufacturers of 3 complete rocket’s a year for a total delivery of 36 Saturn-V launch vehicles over the length of the contract. For Earth Orbit work the Saturn 1B S-1B first stage manufactured by Chrysler would be replaced by the Aerojet SRB’s. For Earth Orbit missions it was planned for 3-4 missions a year so a multi-year contract for a total of 48 launch vehicles over 12 years would be purchased. By establishing long multi-year contracts the Kennedy administration hoped to achieve the best pricing and also secure a strong legacy that would be difficult for any future administrations to cancel without incurring the strong financial penalties of contracts already signed.

The McDonnell Douglas Company and Aerojet would have a large amount of launch hardware to deliver under the contract. For AeroJet just the Saturn V series block-II contract called for 144 260” Solid Rocket bodies. The contract also called for the retrieval and re-use of the rocket bodies. The facility outside of Miami would need to rapidly expand beyond the current setup which wasn’t setup for production but development and testing. However with a multi-year contract setup for production over 12 years Aerojet felt comfortable in expanding the facility to accommodate the contract and hiring additional employees that was a real boast to the local economy. The rocket bodies would be manufactured by Sun Shipbuilding outside of Philadelphia and then barged down to the AeroJet facility where they would be finished. The SRB would then be moved up the Florida Coast to Cape Canaveral as needed. The Cape was only a couple of hundred miles up the coast so the rocket bodies would be stored at the AeroJet facility and then delivered as needed. AeroJet as part of the contact requirements was responsible for retrieving the rocket bodies out of the Atlantic Ocean after a launch. They would then be refurbished for re-use. The AeroJet ships would also have the dual responsibility of also being range stand-by for retrieval as needed if any aborts happened and the crew needed to be retrieved from the Atlantic. For McDonnell Douglas the Saturn rocket contracts called for a total of 84 S-IVC stages including a couple of static test rigs and two more stages for dynamic testing and facilities integration. This would call for at least 7 stages a year to be delivered. McDonnell Douglas would need to expand to meet the production needs. McDonnell Douglas in discussions with NASA decided to locate the S-IVC-500 production line at the Michoud Assembly facility in Louisiana. The S-IVC-200 production line would be in Huntington Beach. The design and engineering work would remain in Huntington Beach. The S-IVC-500 was the 3rd stage for the Saturn-V and the S-IVC-200 was the 2nd stage for the Saturn-1. However as before with Aerojet with a contract in hand for so many stages they felt comfortable in "ramping up" to meet the delivery schedule specified in the contract.

The last part of the puzzle for launch vehicles was the Instrument Unit. These units contained the guidance system for the Saturn rockets. The electronics contained are the digital computer, analog flight controller, emergency detection system, internal guidance system, control accelerometers and the control rate gyros. The Instrument Unit was designed by the MSFC but was manufactured by IBM. IBM received a multi-year procurement contract to deliver a total of 84 Instrument Units spread out over 12 years. The new instrument units for the Saturn would be called version 4 and would feature some incremental improvements of the version 3 that was currently being used.

The second part of the contracts would be for block buys of the Apollo Hardware. The first part of this was the block buy of Apollo Command Modules from North American Rockwell. There would be a new Command Module called the Block-III. The new command modules would replace the fuel cells of the Block-I and II with batteries and solar panels. The switch to solar panels would allow the CSM long times of hibernation either attached to a Space Station or in Lunar Orbit. The Block-III CSM would be able to transport 4 astronauts at once. Since interior volume inside the Command Module would be at a premium a new addition called a Mission Module would be added. This was possible because of the extra payload capability of the new launch vehicle for the Saturn series. The Mission module was 2.5 meters in diameter and 4 meters long and massed around 6 tons empty. This mission module would have storage lockers, food preparation area and would also have a toilet. All this would vastly improve the habitability of the CSM. With the mission module, the crew wouldn’t have direct vision for docking. They would have to depend on video feeds and radar for the docking since after the docking with the Mission Module the forward radial port would no longer be visible.

North American Rockwell had assumed that there Apollo CSM would be used for both Lunar or BEO missions and LEO Missions. However the Apollo CSM was expensive and had features that where just not needed for Earth Orbit work. In stepped McDonnell Douglas with a proposed solution. Mc Donnell had built both the Mercury and Gemini capsules and where never very happy with North American getting the contract for the Apollo CSM. McDonnell Douglas had leveraged its experience with Gemini to propose what it was calling Big G (Big Gemini). Big G was an enlarged Gemini Module that could carry up to 12 astronauts or a mix of re-turn cargo and astronauts. The proposed configuration included 6 astronauts and over 1,000kg of return cargo capability. The original Gemini Capsule was extended out in a conical shape with the same Diameter of the Apollo CSM. A door would be added to the original 2 man Gemini Capsule in the rear to allow access to a large passenger/cargo compartment that was added. All this improved capability would have the same re-entry mass of the Apollo Command Module. The Big G (Big Gemini) would also have a rear maneuvering and cargo module that could carry both pressurized and un-pressurized cargo. The Big G would dock with its aft end to the space station and would have a control station in the rear for this docking maneuver and would use the Apollo docking probe assembly. A pressurized pass through tunnel would allow access from the Passenger compartment and into the cargo area and this would allow the transfer of cargo and passenger without EVA into a docked space station. McDonnell Douglas had proposed the Big G to both NASA and the USAF for their MOL (Manned Orbital Laboratory) project.

President Kennedy had never really been too fond of the USAF MOL program and did not see the need to militarize space. However NASA knew that the Big G could fill an important niche and like the improved capability over the CSM for Low Earth Orbit work. NASA decided to solicit proposal from both North American Rockwell and McDonnell Douglas for future Earth Orbit NASA missions. As Webb pointed out, working in Low Earth Orbit was fairly well known let’s put out some specifications and see what North American Rockwell and McDonnell Douglas propose and see if we can lower costs. North American came back with a proposal for a simplified, cheaper version of the Apollo CSM stripped down for Earth Orbit work that was cheaper than the lunar CSM. Looking over this proposal NASA officials were not really inspired. However the McDonnell Douglas proposal blew away NASA officials. The Big G proposal called for the building and use of 12 capsules. The Big G would use a parasail and skids to land at Edwards (or other dry lake beds) and would allow over 1,000kg of cargo to be brought back along with 6 astronauts. The capsule itself since it didn’t splash down in the ocean would have an easy recovery and would be refurbished and re-used for future spaceflights. McDonnell proposed a block buy contract for 12 capsules and 48 Maneuvering/Cargo Modules for a total of 48 space flights to Earth Orbit over 12 years. All this would be delivered at a lower cost than North American’s CMS proposal. Even including the additional development costs that the Big G would require. The other benefit that wasn’t previously considered is that this would give NASA two spacecraft for Earth Orbit work. While the Big G couldn’t be used for Lunar flights the Apollo CSM could be used for Earth Orbit work. This would insure that if one space craft had an issue, NASA wouldn’t lose access to space until it was resolved. While North American was disappointed to lose the contract for Earth Orbit work they still had a large buy of the CSM for the Apollo program and the first missions of the Skylab program would still use the Apollo CSM. McDonnell Douglas where ecstatic to finally be building spacecraft again.

The multi-year block buy contracts would also include both current and new lunar module spacecraft. The original lunar module purchase from Grumman was amended as part of the multi-year contract buys to include the purchase of more lunar modules with LM 10-15 being modified into what was being called the J-series which was called the ELM (Extended Lunar Module) which would allow stay times of up to 75 hours on the moon. A new vehicle was needed for the proposed follow on Lunar missions using dual launches of the more powerful block-II Saturn-V’s. The new vehicle would be called the LLV (Lunar Landing Vehicle) which would be considerably larger than the LM. This vehicle was planned to have a fully loaded and fueled mass of 90-tons. There would be two versions of the LLV. One version would be the LLV base which would have no ascent stage and was designed to land on the Lunar Surface, completely automated. The second version would the LLV Taxi. This version would feature the same base stage of the LLV however the upper part where the crew quarters where located on the base would be a modified Lunar Module ascent stage. The Lunar Module Ascent stage was an enlarged version of the original LM to allow the transport of 4 astronauts and up to 500kg of Cargo back to Lunar Orbit. The Descent stage of the LLV Truck would land an enclosed and pressurized rover called MOLAB, a smaller unpressurized lunar rover, scientific experiments and consumables. Grumman with its experience with the Lunar Module, secured the contract for the LLV.

The multi-year contracting would allow the companies to amortize nonrecurring “start-up” costs over the life of the contract. This would also allow the contracted companies to maintain a stable workforce to fulfill the needs of the contract. This would then result in overall cost savings for the entire program. President Kennedy and Johnson knew this would be a tough fight with Congress. Congress usually liked to fund things one year at a time which drove up overall costs but allowed a program to be easily canceled. Even with the Kennedy Administration able to keep the US military out of deep involvement in Vietnam there was significant budget considerations. Congress wouldn’t keep funding NASA at the rates they were earlier in the decade. However Kennedy was able to work with Congress to keep the slashing of programs to a minimum. He had worked with them to slowly draw down NASA’s budget until it would be projected to fall to about 2-2.5% of the Federal Budget by 1972. It was a tough fight but Kennedy was still very popular and he did see the Space Program as his legacy to the United States. Besides he also had a powerful force in Lyndon Johnson and Johnson knew where all the skeleton’s where buried on Capitol Hill. Johnson had to give several reluctant Senators and Congressmen “The Treatment”. By the end of July 1968, the 1968 National Space framework legislation passed and was signed by President Kennedy. The key part of the legislation would be structuring of future NASA programs into multi-year procurements which drove down overall costs. The development of space hardware was already difficult and having the programs be subject to the whims of Congress every year made things cost a lot more and made the program run in-efficiently.

Apollo-Part 6

10 different types of Apollo missions were proposed for the first series of Apollo moon landing missions. Each one had a specific set of tasks to accomplish that would lead up to a manned lunar landing mission. These missions were given letter designations.
  • A – Unmanned Saturn V and Command Service Module development. (Apollo 4,6)
  • B – Unmanned lunar module development. (Apollo 5)
  • C – Manned CSM evaluation in low Earth Orbit (Apollo 1,2)
  • D – Manned CSM and LM testing in low Earth Orbit.
  • E – Manned CSM and LM testing in an elliptical medium Earth Orbit.
  • F – Manned CSM and LM operations in Lunar Orbit.
  • G – First manned landing.
  • H- Precision landing with up to two days stay on the moon with tow lunar EVA’s.
  • I – Long duration CSM lunar orbit surveys.
  • J – Longer 3-day stays on the Lunar Surface with 3 EVA’s and lunar roving vehicle.
Apollo 8 crew was planned to be James A. McDivitt, Dave Scott and Al Bean and the Apollo 9 crew was Frank Borman, Jim Lovell and Bill Anders. The Apollo 8 mission would be a D mission and the 9 mission would be an E mission. The Lunar Module production was running behind schedule and by June 1968 it was realized that it wouldn’t be ready for flight until probably January or February 1969. This caused a issue with the scheduling of missions and put in jeopardy the lunar landing in 1969. However the manager of the Apollo program spacecraft office, George Low proposed a solution. To keep the program on track for a 1969 moon landing and since the CSM Block-II would be ready before the Lunar Module. He proposed having Apollo 8 fly to the moon in the CSM and skip having the lunar module. If everything went well they could even enter lunar orbit. The D mission would then occur during Apollo 9 and the entire E mission would just be skipped. The plan was audacious, however every senior manager at NASA was on-board except one, James Webb the NASA administrator. He was very skeptical of sending the Apollo 8 mission all the way to the moon without more testing in Earth Orbit. However he eventually agreed to explore the possibility of this mission if the Apollo 7 mission went well. The Apollo 7 mission would be fly in October and would test the CSM Block-II in earth orbit. If all went well then he would approve Apollo 8 going the moon. However the planning would be kept secret until after the Apollo 7 mission had completed. He didn’t want to set expectations that Apollo 8 would go the moon.

A concern was the Soviets. The Soviet Space program was very secretive and it was hard to know what exactly was going to happen next until it was announced by the Soviets. The new Soyuz spacecraft that had crashed during re-entry was thought to be capable of a lunar flight. It was known that the craft couldn’t go into Lunar Orbit but it was thought that the Soviets would launch a Soyuz on a free-return trajectory around the moon before the US got there. Even though a lunar orbit was much more difficult the perception by the US public would be that the Soviets got to the moon first. By pushing up a lunar flight to Apollo-8 it was hoped to upstage any plans the Soviets might have to grab some headlines in the space race.

Deke Slayton talked to McDivitt and offered him the mission to fly to the moon but McDivitt still wanted to test the Lunar Module in space and he decided that his crew would stick with the D-mission. His crew would rotate back to Apollo-9 and Frank Borman’s crew would rotate forward to Apollo-8. However this created an issue with the backup crews. Deke wanted his friend Al Shepard to be first person to walk on the moon. On a normal rotation once you where backup you then flew 3 missions latter. Shepard was the backup Commander to McDivitt and Grissom was the backup to Borman. That meant that Shepard would Command Apollo 11 and Grissom 12. However with the crew swap this would normally mean the backups also swapped. This would put Shepard on 12 and Grissom on 11. This was a potential mess for Deke since it was looking like 11 would get the first shot of landing on the moon. Slayton decided to call Grissom and Shepard into his office and Grissom didn’t express a burning desire to the best the first to walk on the moon. Grissom told Deke that the entire thing of being first to walk on the moon was very distracting for him. If it came up that Apollo 12 was the first mission to have the shot at landing he would take it but he wouldn’t seek it out and he wasn’t looking to bump Al off Apollo 11 by swapping backup crews. So Deke made that the call that the prime crews would swap but the backup crews would not. This caused some grumbling around the astronaut office but quickly stopped once Grissom made it known that he was fine with the changes and Al deserved the first shot of walking on the moon. Besides Gus told his fellow astronauts. If Apollo 11 was the first crew to attempt the landing that would mean all 4 missions before 11 achieved all their primary objectives which to him seemed a bit of stretch to assume that this would happen.

Monday July 9th, 1968. Deke Slayton’s office.

“Deke this a new spacecraft and now you want to add an EVA to the mission?” Wally Schirra looked at Deke.

Deke fought hard not to roll his eyes. “Wally large parts of the spacecraft were already tested during Apollo 1 and 2. Management wants to see if we can test the new Apollo A7L spacesuit on 7, this will make things easier for Apollo 9. “

“Deke, you pulled this same thing on me for Gemini 4. Now you are doing the same thing for Apollo 7. You are swapping in stuff that doesn’t need to be in the flight plan. You have me up there being TV Cameraman and now you want an EVA, and have it live with a TV camera.”

Deke sighed, he knew that this meeting wouldn’t go well. Wally didn’t like mission plans being changed on him.

“Ok Wally. There is a good reason for this addition. On the J missions we will have scientific instruments in the SM, including cameras. However in order to get the film an astronaut will need to spacewalk down the SM to remove the film canisters. Cernan already has experience with EVA from Gemini 9. He is already on your crew as the Command Module Pilot. We want Cernan to test out some of the procedures we have developed for accessing the SM in the space environment. This will also serve to give the new A7L spacesuit a test at the same thing. The TV camera is another thing. Nobody has ever televised an EVA live before. We have a new Color TV Camera from Westinghouse that we want to be tested in space to broadcast the EVA. Testing the camera during the EVA will give us more confidence that it can be used on the Lunar Module to broadcast from the moon. “

“Deke, this is not a freaking TV show. I am not a producer. This Apollo Block-II spacecraft is a brand new spacecraft that we are taking into orbit for the first time and now I got everyone wanted to add all these extraneous experiments to the flight plan. My mission as far as I am concerned is to take that spacecraft up into orbit and give it a shakedown flight and work out all the bugs. All this extra stuff like TV cameras and EVA’s is not important to the primary mission.”

“Wally, you are right it isn’t important to the primary mission. However it is important to NASA and this country. Getting those spacesuits tested on Apollo 7 is important to the Apollo program, just like testing the procedures to retrieve film canisters from the SM. Testing the TV camera in space and televising a live EVA is important to show the country what their tax dollars are doing. You need to see the bigger picture Wally. Look you have already told me this is your last flight. However if you cannot do what is asked of you I will replace you. Do you understand? Stafford is fully capable of running this mission. I am done having these arguments with you, every time the flight plan needs to change.”

Wally looked at Deke. “Yes Sir I got the message.”

“You can leave Wally, before I get really pissed off.”

Wally quickly got up and left Deke’s office.

On October 11, 1968 Apollo 7 lifted off from LC-34 at Cape Canaveral for what was planned a 12-day mission. The Commander was Wally Schirra, Command Module Pilot was Gene Cernan and the Lunar Module pilot was Rusty Schweickart. Within a couple of days the mission started to go wrong when Wally got a severe head cold and started to get irritable with mission control. On top of that Schweickart got a very violent case of motion sickness during the beginning of the mission and very quickly vomit and sinus mucus were all over the inside of CSM-101. Wally then started to become outright insubordination on the radio link. One of the worse incidents was when mission control asked Wally to turn on the new Color TV Camera for a test broadcast and he refused, he just had to flip the switch to turn on the Camera to test it. When Cernan volunteered to turn on the camera, Wally proceeded to verbally berate Cernan. Wally had even ‘accidentally’ left his mic on for everyone to hear him yelling and cussing at Cernan. Mission control decided to delay Cernan’s EVA until mission day-8 because of all the health issues with the crew. Throughout the mission Wally was constantly irritable with Mission control and talked back to any decision that changed the flight plan or was something that Wally didn’t want to do. Even at one point Rusty started to talk back to Mission control. NASA Management was furious as to what was happening. They had never had a crew in orbit be this insubordinate over the radio link before. Deke Slayton even took over CapCom to talk to Wally and the situation didn’t improve.

Finally on mission day 8 the planned EVA occurred. The Apollo Command Module was depressurized and Cernan stepped outside and conducted the EVA. While he did the spacewalk Schweickart, stood in the open hatch and with the Color TV Camera broadcast live from space the EVA and it was all in color. The TV audience where enthralled watching Gene Cernan slowly make his way along the outside of the Service Module. President Kennedy watching from the White House was ecstatic, this is exactly what he wanted the American people to see. At the end of the EVA, Schweickart panned the camera around to show the Earth from outside the Capsule he then panned around to show out into space towards the moon. During the pan the camera was pointed at the Sun and this burned out the video pickup tube. It hadn’t been explained well to the crew to not point the TV Camera at the sun. This would result in some more adjustments being made to both training and the TV Camera for future missions to prevent this. For this live TV broadcast of the EVA, the Apollo 7 crew would later receive a special Emmy award. However despite the successful EVA the attitude problems from Wally wasn’t over yet. For re-entry the mission plan called for the crew to wear their space suits and helmets. However Wally didn’t want to wear the helmet because of the sinus pressure from his lingering head cold. Wally was instructed that the helmets should be worn for safety reasons. However he refused to wear the helmet, even when given a direct order by Slayton. When Apollo 7 finally splashed down in the Atlantic the only astronaut wearing his helmet was Cernan. After this fiasco, NASA management was ready to get rid of all 3 astronauts. Slayton told them that it wasn’t Cernan’s fault that Wally acted like an “Ass”, Cernan tried to do the best he could in a bad situation that he was in. In fact Deke thought very highly of Cernan being stuck in the Command Module for 12-days with the Wally show, he wasn’t sure if he was in the same situation he would have shown as much restraint. He also told them that Rusty could be saved but Rusty would not fly another mission for several years as he be on Slayton’s ‘Shit list’. Rusty become Slayton’s go to astronaut when a request came in for an astronaut for some public affairs event. Slayton had plenty of Public Relations duties for Rusty to perform, since he was such a famous TV cameraman now. Wally Schirra left NASA and retired as he had originally plan. As far as Slayton was concerned he couldn’t leave fast enough. However despite all the issues the successful Apollo 7 missions setup the next mission which would be Apollo 8 and humans for the first time would leave Earth’s orbit.

On October 25, 1968 the Soviet Union launched Soyuz 2 which was unmanned. The next day Soyuz 3 was also launched. Soyuz 3 was then guided near the Soyuz 2 but no docking occurred. Soyuz 3 would stay in Earth Orbit for 4-days before landing. The mission was announced to the world as a complete success. It wouldn’t be until decades later that it was revealed that it was originally intended that the two spacecraft would dock. However due to piloting error by Cosmonaut Beregovoy the docking couldn’t be attempted. On September 19 a US spy satellite photographed a massive new rocket that was sitting on launch pad in the Soviet Union. The US got its first glimpse of the huge N1 rocket which was intended to take cosmonauts to the Moon.

On November 5, 1968 the US voted in Vice-President Lyndon Johnson and his running mate Hubert Humphrey into office. The election was close but Johnson was able to overcome Richard Nixon who had come back into politics after being defeated running for Presidency in 1960 and then for CA Governor in 1962. The Democrats would maintain the office of the US President for another 4-years.

December 20th 1968, Crew quarters, Cape Canaveral - Florida

“Hello guys how is it going?”

“We are doing good Mr. President” Frank Borman answered for his crew.
President Kennedy came into the crew quarters and shook the hand of Commander Frank Borman, Command Module Pilot Jim Lovell and Lunar Module Pilot Bill Anders. It was accepted that despite the crew being in quarantine it was acceptable for the President to visit since his health was so closely monitored.

“I hear you guys are going to be taking a little journey tomorrow?”

“Yes Mr President we are going on a remarkable journey tomorrow. “ Frank Borman spoke for the crew.

“All Americans including me wish you godspeed on your journey and a safe journey. While you are up there scout out some landing spots for Al.”

“Yes Mr. President, we plan to be taking a lot of pictures, while we are in lunar orbit.” Bill Anders spoke up.

“Mr. President, while we intend to take pictures while in lunar orbit. My primary concern is bringing everyone home safely.” Frank Borman spoke sharply. Giving Bill Anders a look.

“You guys have a great flight and I will be watching from the bleachers” President Kennedy quickly left the crew quarters. After he was outside he turned around and looked at Deke Slayton.

“Deke, is it just me or does Borman seem like the type of man that doesn’t know how to relax, even a little?”

Deke laughed “Well Mr President, Colonel Borman has a lot on his mind.”

“Yes he does Deke, yes he does”

As President Kennedy left the crew quarters area. He hoped that they would return safely from this journey. He had been briefed on all the various things that could go wrong. He looked forward to watching the Apollo-8 launch. The great thing about being a departing President that he could finally relax and really do what he wanted to do without worrying about anything too much. However he worried about Apollo 8, if this mission went badly the entire space program and his legacy could be ruined very quickly.

On December 21, 1968 Apollo 8 lifted off from Pad LC-39A at Cape Canaveral for the first manned launch of the Saturn-V. The launch went smoothly and the Saturn-V performed well and had no issues. All the fixes applied after the problems with Apollo-6 worked correctly. After a little over 2 ½ hours in Earth Orbit it was time for humans to leave the Earth and Michael Collins on Capcom for radioed to Apollo 8 “Apollo 8, You are Go for TLI” and the S-IVB 3rd stage ignited for 12 minutes and performed the TLI burn perfectly. After the S-IVB had performed its task it was jettisoned. The Apollo 8 S-IVB then had its remaining fuel vented and it would pass the moon and eventually go into a Solar Orbit. The Apollo-8 crew where the first humans to pass through the Van Allen radiation belts. The prediction was they would get about 1 milligray of radiation, The crew wore a radiation dosimeter for the mission and each crew member received about 1.6 milligray of radiation for the entire mission.

Into the second day of the mission, Frank Borman had a bad bout of diarrhea and vomiting that left the command module full of small globules of vomit and feces. However within 24-hours the symptoms would clear up. On the journey to the moon the crew did a live TV broadcast using the Color TV camera that had been tested on Apollo 7. Using the telephoto lens they were even able to show the whole Earth as it shrunk in the CM window. After a journey of 3-days the Apollo CSM Service Propulsion engine ignited again and placed the spacecraft into a lunar orbit. On the 4th orbit of the Moon the Apollo 8 crew would take the famous “Earthrise” picture. On the 9th orbit the crew conducted another TV transmission and at the end of the transmission they each read a section from the Book of Genesis. On Christmas day 1968 the CSM engine ignited again and performed what was called TEI (Trans-earth Injection). The SPS engine performed beautifully and the spacecraft began its journey back to the Earth. During the return journey the crew performed 2 more television broadcasts and the crew splashed down on December 27, 1968 in the Pacific Ocean. The Apollo 8 crew became the first people ever to leave the gravitational influence of the Earth and orbit another celestial body. Even the Soviet Union acknowledged this outstanding achievement of American space sciences and technology. The Apollo 8 mission ended a very successful year for the US manned spaceflight program. It was hoped that 1969 would finally be the year that Kennedy’s challenge would finally be fulfilled.

Apollo - Part- 7

The Soviet Union started off 1969 for what would promise to be an exciting year for manned launches. Soyuz-4 launched on January 14 and one day later Soyuz-5 launched. The two Soyuz capsules docked in Earth Orbit and two cosmonauts transferred via EVA from the Soyuz-5 capsule to the Soyuz-4 capsule. This was the very first docking between two manned spacecraft and the first crew transfer. The docking and the crew transfer went fairly smoothly. However re-entry for the Soyuz 5 capsule didn’t go very smoothly. The crew transfer had left one cosmonaut on-board the Soyuz-5, Boris Volynov. After the retrofire was completed, the service module would not separate and it was to late to abort the re-entry. This meant the capsule swung around with the hatch facing forward, instead of the heatshield as it started reentering the atmosphere. The seals on the hatch started burning and instead of the G-forces pressing Volynov back in his seat they were pulling him outward against his harness. Luckily as the stresses on the spacecraft increased the service module was finally torn free and as soon as this occurred the capsule swung back around to it’s correct position with heat shield first. However the problems for Soyuz-5 where not over. The parachute cables partially tangled and then the soft landing rockets failed which resulted in a very hard landing for the cosmonaut. To complete the issues for Soyuz-5 the capsule landed way off target in the Ural Mountains in the middle of winter with the outside temperature at -38 C. The cosmonaut was forced to walk several kilometers until he could find a peasant hut to seek shelter in until the rescue crew could find him the next day.

On February 21, 1969 the Soviet Union conducted it’s first unmanned test of the Soviet Counter to the Saturn-V, the N1 rocket. This rocket was a massive rocket that was near the size of the Saturn-V. However the rocket has several serious flaws. The first issue was the Soviet’s hadn’t developed a powerful LOX/Kerosene engine and in order to get the required thrust on the 1st stage they had to use 30 less powerful NK-15 engines that together delivered over 9 million pounds of thrust. The Soviet’s didn’t have the US experience of working with the high specific impulse liquid hydrogen so all the stages of the N1 rocket used LOX/Kerosene for it’s propellant. The use of the LOX/Kerosene meant that the Soviet N1 rocket had less overall performance than the Saturn-V rocket, which used Liquid Hydrogen in it’s upper stages. The first launch of the N1 rocket was a failure. The rocket experience oscillations that caused failure in a pipe that resulted in a fire that reached the engine control system and this fire caused the control system to shut down all the engines on the 1st stage after a little over a minute of flight. The rocket then exploded. This wasn’t completely unexpected for a first launch of a Soviet Rocket. Unlike the US practice of extensive testing of every component of a new rocket before any launch. The Soviet preference was to test hardware by launching it and then correcting issues at they occurred.

Apollo 9 lifted off on March 3, 1969 SA-504 from LC-39A with a crew of James McDivitt (Comander), Dave Scott (Command Module Pilot) and Al Bean (Lunar Module Pilot). The crew would be conducting the first test of the Lunar Module and Command Module together in Earth Orbit over a planned 10-day mission duration. Al Bean conducted a EVA where he climbed out of the lunar module and then transferred over to the Command Module. This demonstrated that it was possible in an emergency for the astronauts to perform a EVA from the Lunar Module to the Command Module in case hard docking could not be achieved in Lunar Orbit. Later in the mission McDivitt and Bean separated the LM from the Command and flew the LM over 100 miles Scott would stayed behind in the Command Module. The mission would go very smoothly with no major issues occurring. The US public had a hard time fully understanding the Apollo-9 mission and how important it was since it was a Earth Orbit mission again and Apollo-8 had already gone to the moon. Their wasn’t much interest in the mission but the mission was critical test of the Apollo Hardware in Earth Orbit.

On May 18, 1969 SA-505 lifted off from LC-39B with the Apollo 10 crew of Tom Stafford (Commander), John Young (Command Module Pilot) and Fred Haise (Lunar Module Pilot). Once again the Saturn-V performed well and successfully launched the crew towards the moon. The Apollo 10 mission would be full dress rehearsal for the lunar landing of Apollo 11. The Lunar Module would undock from the CSM in lunar orbit and the Lunar Module would descend to within 50,000 feet of the lunar surface where it would ignite the ascent engine and go back to Lunar Orbit to dock with the CSM. There had been a discussion that since everything was going so well with the Apollo missions why not let the Apollo-10 crew attempt the first lunar landing. However this was rejected for several reasons. The primary reason was that LM-4 that was for the Apollo-10 mission was overweight. It was never intended to be a lunar lander so it weighed too much to get back off the lunar surface after a landing. LM-5 which was intended for the first lunar landing mission wouldn’t be ready for flight until July. So it was decided that Apollo-10 would do the dress rehearsal and the Apollo-11 crew would attempt the first landing.
The Apollo-10 mission would go well except for a major issue that almost caused the loss of the crew. After the descent stage was separated during the landing to simulate a abort and ascent. Due to an error in the checklists the LM was not in abort mode. This caused the LM to roll widely when the ascent engine was ignited. Both Stafford and Haise uttered several expletives on a live broadcast before the LM was brought under control. While the entire incident was downplayed by NASA it would come out later that the crew where only a couple of rolls away from not being able to recover and losing control and crashing into the lunar surface. However much to the chagrin of NASA the most talked about piece that came out of the mission was the expletives uttered from the LM crew while it was rolling widely. The Apollo 10 mission ended when the Command Module splashed down on May 26th in the Pacific Ocean.

Tuesday, June 24th, Crew Quarters – Cape Canaveral.

Before the planned left off of Apollo-11 the crew had decided to move into the crew quarters at the Cape so they could focus on the training for the upcoming mission. Alan Shepard was taking a shower after another long day of simulator training. He had not been feeling well for the last couple of days but he had not said anything to anyone. He had already seen what they had done to Deke. Pulling him off the flight roaster because of some heart bullshit. However the dizziness kept getting worse and worse for Al and he was having a hard time concealing the issue. He thought maybe he just had a minor cold that would get better. As he finished the shower and stepped out, the room seemed to spin on him and before he knew it he fell and hit his head on the towel rod. The next thing he knew he was waking up on the floor of the shower room with a concerned Ed White and Michael Collins looking down at him.

“Hey Al, are you ok?” Ed White asked with concern in his voice.
“Yeah I just fell and bumped my head.” at this point Al felt something running down his face and realized he was bleeding. “Ah Shit”
“Al. you cut your head pretty good. Hey Mike go get the first aid kit.”
Michael Collins left the room to get the first aid kit.
“Hey Ed help me up, will you?”
“Sure thing Al.” Ed reached down and helped Al up and was surprised at how unsteady he seemed on his feet.
“Hey Al you don’t seem ok.”
“I am fine Ed, just hit my head a little and feel unsteady.”
“Hey Al, we are going to need to call the nurse. That cut looks like it will require a little more than a bandaid.”
Just then Michael Collins came back in with the First Aid kit.
“Ed, I don’t need a nurse. I am sure that it looks worse than it is. “
“Al, I am sorry. We need to call someone. You don’t look good.”
“I don’t need a fucking nurse, Ed.” Al then stood up. He felt like the room was spinning on him again and his balance was all off. He held onto the sink tightly. He looked in the mirror, crap that cut looked bad on his forehead.
“Give me the First Aid kit and I will take care of it. Both of you get out of here and shut the fucking door.” Al growled at both Ed and Mike.
Ed and Mike quickly left the bathroom and walked into the living room part of the crew quarters.
“What do you think Mike?”
“I think he doesn’t look good Ed, the way he is so unsteady on his feet I wonder if he got a concussion. We need call someone.”
“Hey guys, everything ok? I heard some yelling.” Just then Lew Hartzell the cook assigned to the crew quarters emerged from the kitchen.
“No Lew, Al fell down and cut his head real bad and he refuses to see the nurse.” Mike told Lew.
“Well Al is a stubborn Son of a Bitch. Is there something I can do?”
“Yes, just continue making dinner. Thanks lew” Ed grumbled.
They heard the door to the bathroom open and heard Al walking into his bedroom and the door slam. Ed walked over to the door.
“Hey Al do you need anything.”
“No I don’t need anything.”
“Al, I don’t care what you think but I am calling the nurse. You need to get your head checked out. You might have a concussion or something.”

Al lay down on his bed, feeling the entire room spin around him. What the hell was going. It felt like his balance was all out of whack. Just then he felt really nauseous and just managed to lean over the side of his bed and vomit into a wastebasket.

“Ed go get the fucking nurse.” Al barked out and rolled back onto the bed. Hopefully the room would stop spinning. He was so close. What the hell was wrong with him.
Ed walked quickly over and picked up the phone.
“This is Ed White, we need a nurse over to the crew quarters. Al Shepard has fallen and cut his head and somebody needs to come and look at it.”
Within 5 minutes a paramedic showed up at the crew quarters to check on Al. About 15 minutes after that Al was helped out to the waiting car to transport him to a military hospital.

Wednesday June 25th, NASA Space Center Houston Robert Gilruth’s office– Director of manned spaceflight systems

Deke Slayton knocked and quickly came into the room. Sitting at the conference table was George Low, Chris Kraft and Robert Gilruth. As Deke sat down he heard that James Webb, Thomas Paine and Samuel Phillips where on speaker phone from Washington and Dr Von Braun was on the phone from the MSFC.

“So Deke what is the latest on Shepard?” Robert Gilruth asked.
“Well the head cut is the least of or problems. The fall was brought on by a case of vertigo. I talked to him this morning and it is a lot better. However apparently it has been bothering him for past couple of days. He thought he was just a little sick. He also has been feeling pressure in one of his ears. The doctors are working on a diagnosis on what is causing the vertigo. They haven’t been able to rule out anything at this point.”
“Where does that leave us for for the July 16th launch?” Gilruth asked.
Chris Kraft spoke up “The July 16th launch is in doubt at this point if Al cannot fly. The issue is that the backup, Jim Lovell hasn’t enough simulator time to make us feel real confident in his ability to fly the 11 mission. The prime crew has first dibs on the simulator and then we are also training the Apollo 12 crew. There just isn’t enough simulator time available to properly train both prime and backup crews. It doesn’t help when the flipping simulator craps out when the computer breaks. While Lovell knows the command module he just has not had enough time in the Lunar Module simulator. There is just a lot of training in a short amount of time. We are trying to run 5 missions in less than 12-months.” Chris looked around the room .

Deke cleared his throat and then spoke“I concur with Chris on this. In theory Jim is supposed to be able to just step into Al’s shoes. However with less than 30-days until the mission and with how complicated the Apollo missions are this just isn’t the case. With all the flights this year, there just wasn’t enough simulator time to go around to all the crews. We have to focus on the prime crews and the backup’s have had to get training when they have time. This is compounded by the fact that Commander position is a very demanding position.”

Thomas Paine spoke up. “So where does that leave us with a launch date then?”
Chris Kraft spoke up again.”The next best launch date is August 14th with a landing on August 18th. The additional time should give Jim enough simulator time to get prepared.”

“Gentleman, if I may.” Dr Von Braun distinct German accent came over the speaker “SA-506 is already rolled out to the pad and we were getting ready to start the loading of the RP-1 and hypergolic fuel. However SA-506 cannot remain on the pad indefinitely. We feel comfortable, holding until a new launch date of August 14th. However any holds past then would require us to bring SA-506 back to the VAB for de-stacking and inspection. I would recommend that SA-507 be launched instead, if we have to hold past August with SA-506. “

“Are we sure that Al cannot fly in July?” Thomas Paine asked
“We will know for sure in a couple of days Tom, but to me it doesn’t look good.” Deke spoke up again. Everyone around the table could tell by looking at him he wasn’t saying that easily. It was well known that Al and Deke where very good friends. To some people they were too close, considering that Deke was Al’s boss.
“Ok, this is what we do.” James Webb spoke up for the first time. “Today is Wednesday, we will meet again on Friday and make final determination. As of right now Jim is going to fill on for Al for simulator training so we can keep things moving. If Al gets better then we adjust. We will continue the preparation for Apollo 12. The original plan was if Apollo 11 failed to plan to land, then 12 would launch in September with 13 as a backup in December in-case of failure by 11 and 12. Dr. Von Braun, where does that leave us with preparation with SA-507?”

“We are fine with preparation for SA-507. However with September launch date we would normally roll out in July after Apollo 11 cleared 39A. We will need to use 39B which is what we did with 10. Their is enough safety clearance that both SA-506 and SA-507 can be out on 39A and 39B at once. So it should not be a problem. If 11 lands successfully we will just roll SA-507 back to the VAB since Apollo 12 will be pushed to November then.”

“Thank you Dr. So gentlemen are we in agreement?”
“Actually I am not James” George Low spoke up.
“Why is that George?”
“James, if Apollo 11 launches on August 14th and doesn’t successfully land for whatever reason a month isn’t going to give us enough time to properly process why 11 wasn’t successful and adjust. We might just not be ready for another shot this quickly. We need time to properly figure out what went wrong on 11 and adjust. We cannot send another 3 astronauts to the moon without having as much information as possible. “
“So we backup 12 by a month?”
“Yes by at-least a month. With an August launch of 11 I just don’t think it is smart to plan a September launch of 12.”

There was look around the room. Nobody wanted to think about failing to land on the moon by the end of the year.
James Webb spoke up “I agree with George’s assessment. Chris and Deke lets assume an October launch of 12 if 11 isn’t successful. Can we agree on this?”

A string of Yes came from the room and over the phone. The meeting quickly broke up. The next couple of days where going to be really busy. James was wondering how long they could keep a lid on word getting out to the press.

Apollo - Part- 8

Thursday June 28th. CBS News – Breaking News Reporting from the CBS News Headquarters in New York, Correspondent Walter Cronkite.

“Good evening. We have been hearing unconfirmed reports out of NASA that Al Shepard, the commander for Apollo 11, the first moon landing mission is being replaced as commander from the mission because of an undisclosed medical issue. Al Shepard was the first US astronaut in space during project Mercury. He was also scheduled to be the first man to walk on the moon. However our sources tell us that because of undisclosed medical issue he has been replaced by backup Commander James Lovell. James Lovell has already flown in space on Gemini 7 and journeyed to lunar orbit on Apollo 8 and is one of NASA’s most experienced astronauts. We will update you as we have more information.”

Friday June 29th, NASA Space Center Houston Robert Gilruth’s office– Director of manned spaceflight systems
Sitting around the conference table where George Low, Deke Slayton, Chris Kraft, Robert Gilruth and Chuck Berry. As Deke sat down he heard that James Webb, Thomas Paine and Samuel Phillips where on speaker phone from Washington and Dr Von Braun was from the MSFC was also on speaker phone.
The first voice on the phone was James Webb. “Do we have any updates gentleman? Or should I just talk to CBS news for my updates?”
Chris Kraft cleared his throat. “Deke and I have been talking and Al’s medical issues are not getting better. We need to pull him from 11. We don’t want to but we have talked to Al and he understands that this is the best for the mission and the country. We have Chuck Berry here who is in charge of the Medical team for the flight. Chuck?”
“Thank you Mr. Kraft. Mr Webb I have been consulting with several medical doctors at NASA and military doctors. I have also brought in a specialist. While we are not completely sure of the diagnosis, the civilian specialist believes that Al Shepard might have Ménière's disease which is a disorder of the inner ear that affects hearing and balance. This what we believe caused Al to fall and hit his head. The condition, fluctuates in severity. However it will require more testing on confirm his diagnosis. At this time we feel that we cannot return him to flight status. He is feeling better but the condition could get worse at any time. “
Thank you Mr Berry.” James spoke up on the phone. “So we are pushing back the mission to August 14th with a landing on August 18th. I will have my office in Washington DC prepare a official press release on this. Deke do you feel comfortable that Lovell can be ready by August 14th?”
“Yes Mr Webb, Lovell will be ready by August. “
“Thank you gentleman. Let’s make sure we can meet that August 14th launch date.”

The Apollo 11 crew redoubled their efforts with training to get ready for the August 14th launch date. The crew would need to spend hundreds of hours in the simulator before the August flight. Mike Collins in the Command Module was not as impacted as Ed White was with the change. Hundreds of hours that Ed had spent in the simulator with Al practicing various procedures had to be re-done with Lovell now. With the lunar descent and ascent components of the mission it was critical that both the Commander and the Lunar module pilot were well-rehearsed as a team. There was no margin for error and hitting a single switch wrong could be catastrophic as Apollo 10 almost demonstrated.

On July 3, 1969 the Soviets tried for the second launch of the N1 rocket. This mission was intended to send an unmanned probe to the moon for a lunar orbit and come back to Earth. The intention was for this un-manned mission to photograph possible manned Lunar landing sites. However shortly after liftoff disaster struck the rocket. A loose bolt was ingested into an oxygen pump that exploded and then 29 out of 30 engines were automatically shut down. The rocket came crashing down on the launch pad and created the biggest non-nuclear explosion in history. This explosion completely destroyed the launch pad and was photographed by US spy satellites. However the Soviets were not giving up on the moon race, they had one more card to play.

On July 13th, Luna 15 was launched was launched on a Proton rocket towards the moon. This probe was the first Soviet Attempt to both land on the moon and then return a sample to Earth. On July 21st the Luna 15 probe fired its retro-fire engines and successfully landed in the Mare Crisium. After a little over 24 hours on the surface, the probe had drilled into the surface of the moon and placed 80 grams of lunar material into the sample return container. The upper stage of the probe then lifted off and 3 days later re-entered back into the Earth’s atmosphere. The Soviet’s had successfully conducted the first fully automatic recovery of soil samples from the surface of an extraterrestrial body. This was a stunning accomplishment and was trumpeted by Soviet media as a victory in the race to the moon. Officials at NASA downplayed the accomplishment as nothing more than a gimmick that the true lunar race was to land a person on the moon and return them safely to Earth. However there was those at NASA that didn’t so easily overlook this accomplishment. If a sample of material could be returned from the Lunar Surface, could an un-manned sample return probe be used on other extraterrestrial objects, like Mars or other moons?

The evening of August 13th former President John F Kennedy arrived at Cape Canaveral with Al Sheppard. They were shown into the crew quarters and they shared dinner with the Apollo 11 crew. After the nearly month long delay Apollo 11 lifted on from Cape Canaveral on August 14th, 1969. The launch of the Saturn V (SA-506) with the Apollo 11 crew went well without any major issues. On hand at the Cape was former President Kennedy along with current President Lyndon Johnson. Within a couple of hours of liftoff the S-IVB ignited for a second time for Trans Lunar Injection. The 3-day flight to the moon was very quiet with the highlight being a live TV broadcast from the CSM.

On August 18th the LM, called Eagle separated from the CSM. The Lunar Module fired it’s descent engine and begun the journey down to the Lunar Surface. During the descent the crew experienced several computer errors because the computer system became overloaded. Also they were passing landmarks on the lunar surface several seconds early which meant the LM was coming in long over their intended landing site. Despite the distractions of the computer errors, the landing was able to continue. As they got closer to the surface, Lovell realized that the Lunar Module computer was guiding the Eagle toward an area strewn with boulders. Then a low fuel light came on and Lovell had less than 60 seconds to abort or land the Eagle. He decided to land the LM long over the boulder strewn area. With less than 25 seconds of fuel, Lovell would land the LM on the sea of tranquility on August 18th at 21:15:35 UTC . His next message back to Houston was what everyone had been waiting to hear “Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.”

At 3:45 UTC, August 19, 1969 James Lovell opened the hatch of the Lunar Module and began his descent. As he climbed down the ladder Lovell pulled a d-ring which deployed the Westinghouse Lunar Color TV Camera to televise the first steps. As he stepped on the landing pad of the Lunar module he described the surface of the Moon as very fine grained and almost like a powder. He then stepped off to take the first steps by Man on the moon “From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It is mankind's destiny to explore.” Over 600 million people watched James Lovell take the first steps on the moon, including from the Oval office former President John F. Kennedy and President Lyndon Johnson. A couple of minutes later Ed White stepped down onto the lunar surface and became the second man to walk on the moon. The TV camera was then moved out onto a tripod a good distance away from the Lunar Module. The US flag was also planted on the moon. The astronauts took a telephone radio transmission from President Lyndon Johnson and former President Kennedy.

The astronauts would spend a over 2 ½ hours on the Lunar Surface. They collected around 45 Lbs of rocks and setup a laser ranging retro reflector and a simplified lunar surface experiment package that could be setup quickly since time was so limited on the surface for this mission. Overall the Apollo 11 mission was an engineering exercise to demonstrate that a lunar landing was possible. Later missions would involve increasing amounts of science and lunar exploration. Very quickly the EVA time was coming to an end. Before the astronauts stepped back into the Lunar Module, Ed White made a point of taking the Hasselblad camera from Lovell and capturing a picture of Jim Lovell framed against the US flag. Jim Lovell then did the same for Ed White. Ed White was the first to climb back into the LM. He then helped Lovell transfer the film and the two sample boxes with the lunar material up to the LM hatch using the a cable pulley device called a Lunar Equipment Conveyor. Lovell then climbed up into the LM and the surface EVA of Apollo 11 was completed. The two astronauts transferred over to LM life support and proceeded to lighten the Ascent stage by tossing out through the open hatch their PLSS backpacks, lunar overshoes, a camera and other equipment that was no longer needed after the EVA The hatch was then shut and the Lunar Module was pressurized. The two astronauts after a short debrief with Houston could then settle down to sleep.

However sleep would not come easily for Lovell and White. No provision had been made in the LM for the astronauts to sleep and Lovell tried to sleep on the ascent engine cover and White had the best spot the floor. However they were both in their spacesuits and the Lunar Module was constantly making noise. Neither Lovell and White got much sleep during the designated 7-hour sleep period on the Lunar surface. While they were trying to rest, Houston was trying to figure out where they landed. The computer had guided them so far off course the scientists at NASA where having a hard time pinpointing the exact landing location. During each pass of the Command Module. Houston had Collins attempt to find the Lunar Module using the star finder viewer in the CSM. However his narrow field of vision made it extremely difficult to look for the small lunar module on the surface during each lunar orbit. He was never able to find the Lunar Module on the surface. It wasn’t until after the mission was over it and using carefully analysis where NASA scientists able to figure out the landing location for Apollo-11.

After the rest period Lovell and White prepared the Lunar Module for take-off. This was the tense part for NASA. If the Ascent engine failed to ignite, Lovell and Ed would perish on the moon. However the hypergolic LM ascent engine was designed to be extremely reliable and simple. It successfully ignited and the LM Ascent stage was headed back to the CSM. The only casualty from the ascent was the US flag planted on the surface. The exhaust from the Ascent stage had blown the flag over since it had been planted too close to the LM. The Lunar Module had spent around 24-hours on the Lunar surface. The Apollo 11 flight had been always about demonstrating the ability to land and lift-off from the moon, the later Apollo flights would start focusing on a greater science. Collins was extremely happy to see Lovell and White again after the docking with the Command Module. The extremely important lunar rock sample boxes where transferred into the Command Module and secured. The lunar module was then ejected to crash land on the lunar surface and the crew prepared for TEI (Trans-Earth-Injection). The SPS on the CSM ignited again and the crew was on a trajectory back towards Earth. Two days later the Command Module splashed down in the Pacific Ocean. On board the Aircraft Carrier Hornet was President Johnson and Former President Kennedy. The crew for Apollo 11 would be kept in quarantine for 21 days in-case they brought back any pathogens from the moon.

The NASA Agency had successfully meet the challenge that Kennedy had laid out on May 25, 1961 by President Kennedy in his address to Congress. As former president Kennedy emphasized in his speech given to the nation after the success of the mission. The Apollo 11 mission was the first exploration of a new world. However there would be no retreat. It was humankind’s destiny to explore and the United States of America, the leader of the “Free World” would lead in this endeavour.

With all the celebration around Apollo-11 it was very easy to forget about Al Sheppard who would have been the first man to walk on the moon. Instead he watched the moon walk from Houston in Mission Control. While outwardly Shepard acted very gracious with the change in fortunes. Inside he was in turmoil, just like Deke his body had betrayed him and at the worse possible time. Al Shepard was supposed to be the first to walk on the moon not Lovell. He had nothing but respect for Jim Lovell or “Shaky” as his friends called him. Deke could have not picked a better person to take his place as the commander of Apollo-11. Al Shepard would also known as that guy whose body betrayed him right before his history making event. He had given serious consideration to resigning from NASA. Deke had offered him a spot as Chief of the Astronaut office, which he was seriously considering. He had talked to the Civilian specialist who diagnosed him and the Dr had told there was a doctor in Los Angeles that had a experimental surgery that might be able to correct his condition. He would be 46 in November and one of the oldest astronauts in the space program. He already had completed 3 space flights. How much was it worth to him to walk on the moon? Al Sheppard in September travelled to LA and visited with the Surgeon in and decided he would get the surgery done in October and see if he could regain flight status. He wasn’t ready to give up his dream of walking on the moon yet.

Ouch. Al just lost his chance of being first, for the same reason he was taken off the flight roster IOTL.

But I see this time the Soviet Sample Return did work, and gave them at least something to celebrate, though I have doubts as to whether this will amount to a huge amount in the long run.

A few things different then, but how this plays out......

Ouch. Al just lost his chance of being first, for the same reason he was taken off the flight roster IOTL.

But I see this time the Soviet Sample Return did work, and gave them at least something to celebrate, though I have doubts as to whether this will amount to a huge amount in the long run.

Well it does at least give them some bragging rights, they did get the first sample back after all. Still it looks like N-1's still the lethal bucket of bolts it was in OTL, and now the American's have gotten to the moon first so I guess the N-1 may get canned again before the thing can be fixed.

Well it does at least give them some bragging rights, they did get the first sample back after all. Still it looks like N-1's still the lethal bucket of bolts it was in OTL, and now the American's have gotten to the moon first so I guess the N-1 may get canned again before the thing can be fixed.

I have to admit I really struggle with what to do with the N1. By canning the N1 the Soviet's abandon human BEO missions until the Energia comes online. However I am not a real expert on Soviet manned launchers. However it seems with the N1 they where making progress on getting the bugs worked out despite the complicated design. I have heard other people point out that standard Soviet development practice is to not extensivelly test each part of a rocket but launch, to test the rocket and then learn through failure. However when designing such a big rocket the failures can be very big. Compared to US design practice is to test the components a lot more before launches. So would the issues with the N1 be ironed out by the the time the N1F would have come along to start allowing succesful launches? Also with US comittment to continuing operations beyond Earth Orbit can the Soviets from a prestige value afford to withdraw back to LEO missions only?

While things have started off slow in this ATL things should start ramping up for changes as the decisions in direction in 1967-1968 start having a impact.

I have to admit I really struggle with what to do with the N1. By canning the N1 the Soviet's abandon human BEO missions until the Energia comes online. However I am not a real expert on Soviet manned launchers. However it seems with the N1 they where making progress on getting the bugs worked out despite the complicated design. I have heard other people point out that standard Soviet development practice is to not extensivelly test each part of a rocket but launch, to test the rocket and then learn through failure. However when designing such a big rocket the failures can be very big. Compared to US design practice is to test the components a lot more before launches. So would the issues with the N1 be ironed out by the the time the N1F would have come along to start allowing succesful launches? Also with US comittment to continuing operations beyond Earth Orbit can the Soviets from a prestige value afford to withdraw back to LEO missions only?

IIRC, they still used the Artillery Testing Regime in the 1960's, whereby they would commit to a large number of all-up test launches and debug the system on a flight-by-flight basis. This worked well enough with their smaller LVs, but by the time the N1 came along, this practice's serious flaws came to light in a big way.

The other big problem the N1 suffers is that even if the N1F design did iron out all the kinks, it was an old design with its use of spherical tanks wrapped inside a conical outer casing which impacted on its capabilities. But given the time it took to develop a new one, they won't have much choice but to stick with the N1 and make sure they get it as good as they're able to make it.

Although they did have an N1M design* that replaced the Block B upwards with LOX/LH2 stages that would help to mitigate this somewhat, they really didn't appear to see that particular propellant mixture as being worth the added cost and complexity, expect maybe in the uppermost stages where they would need the extra performance it could offer.

*Those images in the N1M page linked would suggest that the N1M would be 2 stages to LEO then the 3rd stage for TLI, and seemed to match the 95,000 Kg to LEO of the N1 had it succeeded.