Of lost monkeys and broken vehicles

Can we? They might fight to the bitter end. Pro-Soviet coup might still come first. British might fight for the Royalists against the non royalists. In short we shall see. :angel:
well I think it may be the only thing the Brits could do if the pro-soviet coup actually happens and the bulgars beg for the other wallies to help. tbf I do want to see a split yugoslavia though, things would get very interesting as time goes by.
Why our republican Italian brethren now that they have been liberated from the fascist yoke and are actively fighting against the Germans Viva Garibaldi et Italia liberta! Look the other way and pretend you did not hear well if anyone mentions many of the people leading Italy and fighting on our side were leading Italy and fighting against us three months ago.
well the things you do to ensure you win aren't always the most palatable, but at least you get to win and impose what you want on the world.
Not happening. Now Caucasian Muslims that in any way worked with the Turkish army or acted against Soviet authority (Chechens and their uprising frex) are not in for a good time.
Kazakhstani Chechen state? hmmmmmmmm
Personally I would doubt Greater Russian settlers would Armenianize in any great degree. Not when they are the dominant group in the Soviet Union and everyone is learning Russian...
So we'd see the Russian settlers be settled around the Pontus and the fringes of Armenia? It'd make sense and seeing Georgia and Armenia trying to prevent the Russians from leaving them would be interesting.

but you know what? Nobody is going to care. Just like nobody cares about Japanese crimes in China or Korea. Those happened over there, they did not take place on our territory, they did not affect our fellow citizens.
These sentences really grind my gears. I see your point clearly don't get me wrong. On the other hand I would argue something very different. Greece is the democracy that stopped the Wehrmacht in mainland Europe. The new 300 Spartans on the Thermopylae of legend reborn! They will most likely be founding members of NATO. They have a huge say and influence on the West as they also claim that Greece is the birthplace of democracy. So the political power is there to push for a genocide recognition in 1914-21. They aren't the CCP on the other side of the world they are here in Europe next door. Many western troops fought there both in WW1 and WW2.

Of course this genocide is contested really from the Turkish POV but that will come to the international judges. Here it will depend on where Turkey stands as the dust settles. Will they be split or not? Which side of the Curtain will they fall? Whatever the answer or how the trial ,if any, will go I don't think it will have major impact really just a stain on the already dead Ottoman Empire. OTL they already had trials themselves for war crimes so I don't see the problem either way. Well the Sultan is head of state still so that may change...
Either way let's see how this goes.

Sure but again the point I make is that the Holocaust guilt is a big deal because Germany makes it a big deal. I see no reason why Tutkey would do the same and not follow a Serbia or Japan policy in these matters. As you noted they can just say, this was those governments, we paid reparations for the legal crimes of SWW the matter is settled (as Germany does with many other SWW crimes).

Considering that any early Cold War will have a US vs. UK aspect and that Greece is reliably a UK ally, the US might seek to cultivate Turkey as their regional ally. And Bristol was a US diplomat and is one if the main sources of genocide denial in 1919-1921. They will say our sources disagree with UK and Soviet ons on the events of 1919-1921.

These sentences really grind my gears. I see your point clearly don't get me wrong. On the other hand I would argue something very different. Greece is the democracy that stopped the Wehrmacht in mainland Europe. The new 300 Spartans on the Thermopylae of legend reborn! They will most likely be founding members of NATO. They have a huge say and influence on the West as they also claim that Greece is the birthplace of democracy. So the political power is there to push for a genocide recognition in 1914-21. They aren't the CCP on the other side of the world they are here in Europe next door. Many western troops fought there both in WW1 and WW2.

Of course this genocide is contested really from the Turkish POV but that will come to the international judges. Here it will depend on where Turkey stands as the dust settles. Will they be split or not? Which side of the Curtain will they fall? Whatever the answer or how the trial ,if any, will go I don't think it will have major impact really just a stain on the already dead Ottoman Empire. OTL they already had trials themselves for war crimes so I don't see the problem either way. Well the Sultan is head of state still so that may change...
Either way let's see how this goes.
Tbf I think Greece would be push for it and the public still reeling from WWII would want to prosecute especially if the Greek gov raises a stink over it. The Greeks would want it to basically tarnish the Turks' reputation as powerfully as possible too.
Considering that any early Cold War will have a US vs. UK aspect and that Greece is reliably a UK ally, the US might seek to cultivate Turkey as their regional ally. And Bristol was a US diplomat and is one if the main sources of genocide denial in 1919-1921. They will say our sources disagree with UK and Soviet ons on the events of 1919-1921.
Tbf I see the us would actually try to pull Greece in by promising stuff like Cyprus while the Brits would be more reluctant due to it being one of the few bits of the British empire that they would control as decolonisation kicks in.

I think the US would try to make turkey a useful ally but I could see turkey being one of the nations that falls on the Soviets' side of the iron curtain as turkey would try to redefine themselves post WWII, and communism seems to be something I could see the Turks adopt as an evolution of the secularism they were developing in otl.

On occupation zones I want french cilicia lmao.

Fundementaly the ATL changes mean that full UK acquisance with US policy in the Cold War is going to happen much later. No Greek Civil War and a reliable UK ally with some regional power projection capabilities means less of a strain than OTL for the UK. US decision makers despised the UK in the early Cold War. They will do so here. They will see Greece as a UK proxy. And seek their own ally. In 1918 they tried to do so with Bulgaria. They will do so with Turkey. Bristol's legacy will help here. Especially if a larger Armenian state is created the US will consider Wilson's promise met and thus free from any further dues to Armenia.

Tbf I see the us would actually try to pull Greece in by promising stuff like Cyprus while the Brits would be more reluctant due to it being one of the few bits of the British empire that they would control as decolonisation kicks in.
Historically the main reason the UK was asinine on the Cyprus issue in the 1950s is exactly their friction with the US. Here though they have a reliable ally (no reversal of 1920) and will probably seek to lock them in and the USA out via giving Cyprus (a second 1864).

I expect the USA to push hard to get main occupation duties in Turkey. Claim being it has a more neutral stance to Turkey then others, and special US interest due to misdionary activitied in 1890s-1920s. The US will push Greece and the UK into the morass of Yugoslavia.

Fundementaly the ATL changes mean that full UK acquisance with US policy in the Cold War is going to happen much later. No Greek Civil War and a reliable UK ally with some regional power projection capabilities means less of a strain than OTL for the UK. US decision makers despised the UK in the early Cold War. They will do so here. They will see Greece as a UK proxy. And seek their own ally. In 1918 they tried to do so with Bulgaria. They will do so with Turkey. Bristol's legacy will help here. Especially if a larger Armenian state is created the US will consider Wilson's promise met and thus free from any further dues to Armenia.
I just don't see Greece as a reliable UK ally at all, and Greece happily falling in line with the Brits post WWII isn't plausible at all, considering that the issue of Cyprus made both countries view each other as allies who aren't trustworthy. Greece would see enosis as obligatory and not trust Britain to do it while Britain would not give up Cyprus this easily, considering that they would be attempting to cling on the last bits of the empire with or without US interference, since they would've been releasing India and the African colonies soon.

Basically it's more that Greece would want another partner to balance out the UK and the US would do nicely, and the US would agree to it considering the friction between the UK, the US and Greece. Seeing Greece as merely a British ally takes away the agency Greece has within the WAllies camp. They wouldn't be one of the powers calling the shots, but Greece also has its own wants and will act accordingly, especially when they have a seat on the table as one of the founders of NATO and channels between Greece and the US directly that would allow Greece to help the US. The fact that the US would also treat Greece as more of an equal than the UK also certainly doesn't help the UK's case.

On Yugoslavia I see the Greeks helping early on considering that the royal Yugoslavian army went into Greece post invasion and in a lot of ways, and Greece would lose a key ally in the Balkans if the Serbs lose. They would do it and tell both the Brits and the US that their compensation for it is Cyprus. Who would be the one to be receptive to it? The Americans who are less in tune with Balkan politics or Britain, who knows the value of Yugoslavia to Greece?
I expect the USA to push hard to get main occupation duties in Turkey. Claim being it has a more neutral stance to Turkey then others, and special US interest due to misdionary activitied in 1890s-1920s. The US will push Greece and the UK into the morass of Yugoslavia.
I do agree that the US would basically occupy turkey while the Soviets would want to occupy the north for dominion over the black sea whether they get Constantinople of not (prob not). I do think like in Germany the Brits and French would have their own small occupation zones to please them a little while the US de factor controls the occupation zones.

PS I wonder how would the Chinese civil war play out. Is there a chance that the south of China could be retained, alongside Hainan Island and Taiwan? The Korean war would also be very affected considering that the Brits would probably be fighting in Yugoslavia.

Finally where would the iron curtain fall ittl? We probably would have the Balkans be some sort of patchwork with Romania be a client state of the USSR, but could we see something like a successful operation Valkyrie considering the Germans are losing even more than otl at this point, and a successful operation Valkyrie would be interesting.

@Khan Doomy while I very much agree that the US will have the same early Cold War relationship with Britain and will see Greece as a british proxy, I think the WW2 circumstances won't allow a close relationship with Turkey, even if DC desires it. I think that it seems that Sivas won't fight to the bitter end . As yourself have mentioned, the existing elite will try to save the army. Such exit from the war won't see a long-term total occupation of the country. Certainly, strategic places (e.g. the Cilician Gates and other Taurus Passes) will be controlled by the Allies for the duration of the war.

So we will have a Turkey that will remain a functional state in 1945. Sivas might want a close relationship with USA, but I doubt Stalin will allow it. While Turkey will be a functional state, it still won't be one totally independent as its OTL counterpart. Stalin will have a strong opinion over turkish foreign policy. At the same time, I don't see the West allowing Turkey to become a soviet client. If I had to guess, Turkey will end up as a non-aligned power.

A lot depends on whether more of the diaspora returns, or if the Soviets opt for a "independent " Greater Armenia. If the Muslim population is all expelled we are talking of an empty country. If not we are talking about Armenians being a minority. Probably uou get expulsion to a point to give them a plurality but the Soviets may use a large Muslim minority as a control tool. Russians moving in might be important but with the goal of making them the holders of balance.
Pontus and Erzurum together would have a combined population around 1.75 million. As part of a prospective Armenia it makes Armenians into a minority even with the entire population of the Armenian SSR being Armenian. Which it is not.
But his reputation in the West? Sure most likely the case (thought one might consider Mannerheim and Finland as a counter example of collaborating with the Axis not leading to someone being hated). Especially as it is not just the negative acts that will lead to a worse reputation compared to OTL but also less success (While OTL early Turkish Republic certainly had many issues what was achieved by 1938 was a massive improvement on what Turkey was in 1918. This Turkey, as a result of losing the Greco-Turkish War, has less territory and a smaller economy. So even ignoring joining the war on the Axis side and collaborating with the Axis pre-war there is less to build a generally positive reputation like OTL from).
Kemal can't be directly accused of collaborating with the Axis. That said the hero worship of OTL is likely avoided to a large degree booth within Turkey and outside Turkey , where to be a cynic for much of the cold war Kemal was a convenient way to excuse Turkish coups. "Hey the army does not want a dictatorship they are just interverning to keep the country on the correct western liberal path this politicians fail to". Now missing this cult of personality at least to some degree could well be a good thing.
Defo yeah, there's like around two million Armenians in Russia proper, and the Armenians who are in Syria and turkey defo could be encouraged to live in the USSR because of how insane the middle east would be in comparison to Stalinist dictatorship.

On other things I could see Stalin being nicer to the Kurds than to other groups, which would be a huge change. For example I could see him giving the Kurds a republic within the Armenian SSR and ensure that the Soviets have more power over the Armenians. I defo see Kurdistan and Armenia being enemies ittl due to the Kurdish presence in Armenia.

I defo see Armenia being a clusterfuck ittl, there's defo no way it ends well, unless we get something like the Americans helping one side decisively.
2,152,860 based on the 1939 census. No Armenians in Turkey unless you want to count Hemshin and people who converted to Islam for real or not so real in 1915-21. Which if the Soviet army crosses the TTL border will be interesting to behold.
Hopefully ittl we see Kurdistan being a 'western ally' who basically has to ally with the west as turkey and the Arabs cooperate to take back Kurdistan and Israel, with terrible consequences coming from the conflicts that come from it.
Assuming Kurdistan does become independent, why ever would Turkey want it back? What is there to gain?
Moreover, it won't make much sense for Stalin to go for a maximalist claim that would include all the Armenian Highlands. Such route would require to burn a lot of political capital that would reduce his ambitions in the Strait Zone. I would argue that the Erzurum Valley is important to safe guard soviet Caucasus. Artvin Province as well seems a low hanging fruit with its Laz majority and its valuable mineral resources - Stalin loved his mines. And who knows? Perhaps the Soviets might attract some Spanish Communists from Asturias that have mining experience. Then they can develop the Minas Murgul in Artvin.

View attachment 823244
What Stalin want is a pretty logical question to make. What would be his priorities? Western access to Black Sea? Soviet access to the Bosporus? Security in the Caucasus? Restoring Russian imperial borders? All of the above?

ATL Greece does not care about Ataturk. Sane in Turkey. He is a moderately successful politician who lost a war. Your projecting your OTL anxieties into a ATL world(well I guess we all do).
I've argued that's actually a good thing for Turkey, the OTL cult of personality is not a good thing. Moderately successful politician likely is an underestimation though. Lets call it... Venizelos in OTL Greece?
I would not assume a revanchist Turkey. The whole leadership cadre of the Republican era OTL was hyper terrified of international adventures, and the ATL experience is going to just make them even more cautious. My expectation is that Ismet is going to be ruling Turkey in the early cold War era and Ismet us a hyper cautious figure. So I do not see Turkey going fightaholic.
The funny thing is we keep hearing Turkey would never accept the Greek presence in Smyrna and continue to come back after it indefinitely... which is exactly Turkey going fightaholic.

The cold war Turkey will simply denounce the CUP era, focus on extolling the previous Ottoman era, talk more of the Crimean War and 1877 and just do perfunctory recognition of any genocide.
Or denounce the CUP and Pekerism as a degeneration of true Kemalist principles of neutrality and friendly relations with the Soviet Union to balance out British imperialism, extolling the previous Ottoman constitutional era and the times Turkey and Russia stood together in 1799, 1833 and 1920-21. :angel:

For one it'll definitely create a lot more awareness and most likely a greater degree of intolerance towards people denying/supporting the genocide. Also there's going to be something similar to a de-Nazification process in order to make sure the next generation of Turks won't grow up to be revanchists. And also the Armenian diaspora is going to be more emboldened to take action to get more support on its side now that the Allies have made it clear that they aren't tolerating Turkey's BS anymore.

I understand where you're coming from but I don't believe there won't be any impact.

Fair enough. Still not going to change my opinion on OTL Ataturk otherwise. His fame is not deserved for what he was at least complicit in.
The man saved Turkey single-handedly... ok as argued in the present TL with a huge degree of help from his Greek opponents after November 1920. Then he went on to forcibly modernize the country. On the downside he was a dictator and responsible for the acts of his armies against Greek and Armenian civilians... or for that matter anti-Kemalist Turkish civilians. And Kurds in the 1920s and 30s.
TBF an expanded Armenia would mean different demographics though right? Especially when there's more space? And as I said before Stalin and the Armenian diaspora will definitely have good cause to try to keep it alive. One for opportunistic reasons, the other for patriotic ones.
To some degree. Also one would expect more Armenians from other SSRs to move to the Armenian SSR probably.
I mean TTL's Turkey has been losing wars pretty much non-stop (with like a decade and a half at most of pause in the 20s and 30s) since 1911.
I doubt any Turk will be able to find much energy to be revanchist once WW2 ends.
I wonder how this is internalized by Turkish nationalists. For example you'll hear Bulgarian ones tell you ones tell you that no the Bulgarian army was invinsible and it only lost because it had to face coalitions. To which the obvious answer is that this is not a feature not a bug and if you don't want to take on coalitions then don;t make people want to form coalitions against you.
That said, I doubt something like de-Nazification would happen.

Turkey is not Germany (or Japan). It is more like Hungary and Romania as far as the Axis powers go. Ok, maybe a little more important than that, but certainly far below big three.
That's not such a bad comparison actually. Yes Turkey is arguably more important in TTL than most of the minor German allies (sans Romania maybe) bu its easy to see people arguing that the former central powers came in for a return engagement. After all TTL even the single exception to the rule OTL, namely Turkey, also joined for a second round.

IIRC, most of them are comprised of Arabic-speaking Christians as opposed to ethnic Greeks, so there's that to consider.
That's true. If the Orthodox patriarchates the Greeks control Jerusalem and Alexandria, Antioch is under Arab control following Russian intervention early in the century.

Pretty sure Turkey is not a republic ITTL.

Also, being the leader during the war I think Fevzi Çakmak will overshadow him in public memory.
Anton Drexler and Paul von Hindenburg are hardly remembered by the average person (thought Hindenburg is decently known by people interested in history).
Prince Konoe is hardly remembered unlike Tojo.
True perhaps for Peker... although this depends on who controls the postwar narrative in Turkey. Kemal, as mentioned Venizelos position in Greek public perception may not be a bad model for Kemal's position in TTL Turkey.

Overall, ATL Armenian SSR is bigger than its OTL counterpart, having Kars, Karabakh/Artsakh and Nakhchivan/Nakhijevan. It has a bigger population and presumably a bit more influence in moscovite court politics.

Kars was a useful district to have: since 1878 the Armenians had worked hard to make it productive. If I had to guess, I would bet that a significant part of the civilian population of Kars and Gyumri/Leninakan should have escaped further east. From the texts, it seems that the turko-german advance was not a rapid one. With memories of 1915-1921 still fresh, I would bet that all the people that could flee eastwards would have done so.
Both for Greek Ionia and Armenia this is a logical assumption.

To quote Hovannisian who was mentioned by @Khan Doomy
View attachment 823435
In TTL there are few reasons why these migrants would be settled in Yerevan . Other sources raise the number of the repatriates to 150,000.

Then there is the issue of the ATL conditions in Syria and Lebanon. Parts of the population are armed and trained and it seems there will be some sectarian violence in the future between different ethnic groups. This is arguably a worse environment for Armenians than OTL. In Aleppo alone there were more than 50,000 Armenians, remnants of the death marches.
TTL Greek Armenians have much less reason to migrate. Also TTL Greece received more Armenian refugees than TTL Armenia, the ones that were going to Smyrna for example in OTL 1922 (speak of bad timing) have been settled in Greece.

My guess is that Cyprus goes to Greece since Turkey’s involvement on the Axis invalidated it’s rights to it. Though it’ll be given on the condition that the Turks there don’t suffer any collective retaliation.
Cyprus going to Greece... bears the question WHY Britain did not want to transfer Cyprus to Greece in OTL which definitely did not have to do with the Turkish-Cypriots not wanting to become part of Greece.

Wait a minute. Is there a Allied declaration for no separate peace ATL?
My assumption is that high policy at that level has not been affected by Greek participation in the war. I don't see why it would had been affected.
Stalin could try to force Greece to be a neutral control like OTL Austria was. But that really depends if the Soviets get to Greece first.
Good luck with that. Greece is firmly in the Western camp. Pro-British or Pro-American is a different question.
Like you said there's that. And like I said before the Greeks, Armenians, and Assyrians are going to milk every opportunity to expose Turkey for its crimes now that the most powerful nations (USA, USSR, UK, France, etc) have no tolerance for Turkey's BS. In fact, I say Turkey being on the wrong side means the Allied governments will be far more willing to listen to those people, acknowledge the genocides, and force Turkey to pay reparations (though not like as much as the Holocaust sadly, maybe something around like Japan giving relatively small chump change to South Korea during Cold War; unfortunately I have serious doubts if Turkey will be truly be held accountable here).
This depends on continuing hostility between Greece and Turkey after the war. Which is a possibility but should not be taken for granted. One notes Greece and Turkey managed an alliance in 1930, without outside involvement one notes, after a lot more bad blood than TTL... at least pre 1941.

1) Stalin will not be able to force anything on Greece as he will not be able to get boots on the grounds before the Greeks get themselves there. The frontlines are almost outside Thessaloniki, Ionia holds, the Soviets have no chance or reason to do anything in Greece. Any move will be on The City. He may very well push for internalization of the Straits even if the City fall into Greek hands. He is unlikely to spend diplomatic capital on a goal he knows is impossible (naturalizing all of Greece)
A reasonable supposition would be that the fate of the straits is among Stalin's top priorities. How does this affect Soviet policy...
2) Pontus has no Greeks beyond Muslims of Greek descent. While Stalin could open it up for Greek migration, I do not think there will be much. Most Pontic Greeks in Russia and Anatolia ATL have migrated to Ionia or Constantinople or Macedonia (this was Venizelos plan OTL) , the Greek state will actively discourage any emigration from Greece to a Soviet Pontus. You might see Stalin forcing residual Pontic Greeks from the Black Sea coasts of the USSR and the Caucasus to do so, but I am not sure how many people we are talking here. Even OTL about 500k Pontic Greeks left the Russian Empire in 1918-1923, initially hoping to go to the Ottoman Pontus if it became a part of Armenia or an independent state. Many died in the genocide, and the remnants moved to Greece. Even in 1930-1940 you had emigration (my mothers family i.e) from the USSR to Greece. With a more powerful, affluent ATL Greece the dynamics are bigger. Hard to see many people giving up good land in Ionia or Macedonia to go an live under Soviet control.
Which is an interesting question also for the post 1945 era. The 1939 Soviet census gives 286,444 Greeks up from 213,765 in 1926. TTL I had 149,232 Caucasus Greek refugees to Greece, up from 47,091 in the OTL 1928 Greek census. Which means you still have 111,624 Greeks in the Soviet Union in 1926 so call it ~149,576 in 1939. And unless I'm mistaken a degree of under-counting was present. So I wonder do we get a Greek equivalent to the Soviet Jew aliyah ?
What you will get is Greece lobbying and getting recognition for war-crimes committed during the war. But I expect these to be litigated based on the Laws of War (Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907) , as in the despoiling caused by a occupying military power , rather than under the Genocide convention. Stalin might try to get the Armenian issue to piggyback on the Holocaust, but as I ma expecting Turkey to sue for a separate peace, ultimately he will fall back to Laws of War violation accusations. There are many legal principle objections for retroactive law, and while this was overcome in the Holocaust case because of the immediacy, I do not think you will get a lot of activity to cover events 20-30 years ago. States are unlikely to permit a legal principle that might come to bite them in a future date. Now symbolic recognition etc is another thing, but I am taking here about hard law and hard legal consequences.
Greece has an obvious interest during the war and in its immediate aftermath to highlight any atrocities. Afterwards? That depends on long term relations between the two countries.

Ok let us understand some key concepts here
1) The reason why the Holocuast is such a big international legal event is three fold 1) It affected nationals of multiple states creating thus multiple legal State to State claims. We are talking every country whose Jewish population was affected by it. Which is most of continental Europe. Thus multiple states had legal and monetary reasons to keep the issue in the forefront. 2) The other reason, is because the country were the offending regime was governing, Germany (W.Germany in the Cold War) had powerful domestic reasons for keeping the issue alive. The sad reality is that multiple post-war surveys returned majorities in Germany that still held positive views of the Third Reich. The leadership of the Bundersrepublic had every reason to stress the Holocaust as a way to counter this Naziphillia. It also was a powerful tool for gaining international recognition and respect, and another proof that the new Germany rejected its militant past. The Holocaust was important thus for post-war national building in Germany. 3) The issue of Israel also played it role.
Call me a cynic but I can see potential similarities in the public opinion, "we tried to take back the land the Entente had stolen" no matter what the official line will be saying. Would the Turkish government be necessarily bothered by such opinion if it does not affect its foreign relations? I'd question it. Take Japan for the obvious example.

11) So in the end I can see Turkey making a domestic legal recognition as part of the Peace Treaty. I do see some level of genocide reparations being lobbed together with War crimes reparations, at the state to state level (and probably Stalin will make a Soviet Armenia have the status of Ukraine and Belarus so it can get any money). Turkey will take USA loans to repay them, binding it to the USA as a counterbalance to pro-UK Greece (there was still US-UK competition in the early cold war), and that will be it.
Pro-UK Greece is likely more... complicated than it looks. Already at the moment the proportion of American over British supplies sent to Greece is increasingly more important and Athens wouldn't much care about Britain being too assertive with its politics...

IOTL presumed Soviet threats to Greece and Turkey were instrumental in formulating the Truman doctrine. With both threats absent ITTL, the Cold War doesn't start as early.

No Greek civil war, it's no big spoiler to say it's entirely unlikely to happen TTL. Does this significantly alter the UK international position? They still have to contend with brushfires all around the place from Africa, to Palestine to Malaya. Did the British aid to Greece much matter in absolute terms at the time the British government had to deal with the partition of India? Or Palestine? Or an active war in Malaya?

The second question is... IS Greece a reliable UK proxy by the end of the war? For a simple comparison was... Australia, an actual British dominion, a reliable UK proxy in OTL? Throughout the war for both countries the Americans have been increasingly more important. Athens is not blind to the shift and TTL was turning to the Americans in small ways when its interests were not completely aligned with London already before the war, like buying American ships when Britain would not export heavy cruisers in the 1930s.
Historically the main reason the UK was asinine on the Cyprus issue in the 1950s is exactly their friction with the US. Here though they have a reliable ally (no reversal of 1920) and will probably seek to lock them in and the USA out via giving Cyprus (a second 1864).
This was actually proposed within the British administration as early as 1946 in OTL and refused. Would it take place TTL? It is possible of course, arguably would be a good idea for Britain... and yet should not be taken for granted. One might note the post-war years were note British policy at its most brilliant...
Greece has interests of its own in Yugoslavia of course. Enough to send an army there after the war is over? Someone would note there are practical difficulties in an country of 9 million in TTL 1941 to do so. Where's the men coming from? Continuing mobilization at the tail end of several years of war wouldn't be exactly popular...

Which is an interesting question also for the post 1945 era. The 1939 Soviet census gives 286,444 Greeks up from 213,765 in 1926. TTL I had 149,232 Caucasus Greek refugees to Greece, up from 47,091 in the OTL 1928 Greek census. Which means you still have 111,624 Greeks in the Soviet Union in 1926 so call it ~149,576 in 1939. And unless I'm mistaken a degree of under-counting was present. So I wonder do we get a Greek equivalent to the Soviet Jew aliyah ?
If the Soviets control Pontus and Trebizond maybe the Greeks head there? Maybe out of a patriotic duty I suppose.
Cyprus going to Greece... bears the question WHY Britain did not want to transfer Cyprus to Greece in OTL which definitely did not have to do with the Turkish-Cypriots not wanting to become part of Greece.
Turkey actives sided with the Axis so Greece can make a strong argument that it deserves Cyprus.
This depends on continuing hostility between Greece and Turkey after the war. Which is a possibility but should not be taken for granted. One notes Greece and Turkey managed an alliance in 1930, without outside involvement one notes, after a lot more bad blood than TTL... at least pre 1941.
Greece would force territorial concessions around the Western Anatolian region including the straits and Constantinople before it can ever move on IMO. That’s what I bet they’ll argue for in exchange for moving past all of it.
Then he went on to forcibly modernize the country. On the downside he was a dictator and responsible for the acts of his armies against Greek and Armenian civilians... or for that matter anti-Kemalist Turkish civilians. And Kurds in the 1920s and 30s.
That’s why IMO Kemal is a piece of shit who’s fame was absolutely undeserved.

Assuming Kurdistan does become independent, why ever would Turkey want it back? What is there to gain?
Land that is useful basically, and some semblance of restoring Turkey?
TTL Greek Armenians have much less reason to migrate. Also TTL Greece received more Armenian refugees than TTL Armenia, the ones that were going to Smyrna for example in OTL 1922 (speak of bad timing) have been settled in Greece.
Tbf would Armenian be a language that is taught in Greece, or would greece assume a more assimilationist policy?
Call me a cynic but I can see potential similarities in the public opinion, "we tried to take back the land the Entente had stolen" no matter what the official line will be saying. Would the Turkish government be necessarily bothered by such opinion if it does not affect its foreign relations? I'd question it. Take Japan for the obvious example.
This is why I think turkey has a good chance of revanchism because the loss of Ionia to Greece, the Pontus and western Armenia to the USSR, and Kurdistan would be devastating to the Turkish psyche. Basically misak I milli has been a total failure and the integrity of Turkish borders has been disregarded by basically every important power in the area for quite some time, which would be very uncomfortable for the Turks. I see them helping the Arabs in the Palestinian issue due to this, and idk how things would further develop.
That's not such a bad comparison actually. Yes Turkey is arguably more important in TTL than most of the minor German allies (sans Romania maybe) bu its easy to see people arguing that the former central powers came in for a return engagement. After all TTL even the single exception to the rule OTL, namely Turkey, also joined for a second round.
Tbf I see turkey as one of the 'big three' or rather big four considering that they are one of the powers that went to war as the sickle cut occured, and even if Turkish industry is not really there they contributed a lot to preventing Greece from being able to strike against axis occupation.

Ok, Lascaris makes some good points. I still think based on my McDougall reading that with the US breathing down there neck the UK will seek to shore up as much as possible an independent position. Historically it was the declaration that the UK could not support Greece in the Greek Civil War that began the unraveling of UK autonomy (of course more important was the US economic dominance and the willingness to use that to bully the UK, and bully it did). This thread (the original document re-printed not the problematic commentary) http://hellenicantidote.blogspot.com/2023/04/an-unsettled-state-majority-rule-versus.html?m=1 nicely indicates how getting kicked out of Egypt (partly a US policy) made the UK latch on to Cyprus. But in history Greece by the 1950s was dominated by US interests. If the same happens here, the UK might, I am not saying it will, be willing to give Cyprus in return for keeping the sovereign bases, as long as Greece is willing to balance the US with the UK. Australia is on the Pacific and the US since 1890 had been gunning for a dominant position. There was literally nothing the Brits could do to keep it, or Canada out of the US sphere. Greece is closer. Of course our Greece here is not as dependent as it was historically, but seeking a special relationship with the UK at this point is not a bad idea. Long-term the US will dominate the Med as well (due to its importance as a waterway linking key markets with the Atlantic-Pacific American system), but for as long as the UK wants that relationship Greece will cultivate it, and the UK will as well.

Tik Tok, you are vastly overestimating patriotic fervor. People are not going to give up a good life to go back to the Mountains of Pontus and live under Soviet rule. Even in Cyprus the "We want Greece even if we eat rocks" only got some traction. Furthermore you need to keep in mind that most deep analysis of numbers of Pontic refugees indicates that the majority were from the Russina Empire. By 1914 there were more Pontic Greeks in Russia than in Pontus (potentially 500k to 800k). These are people that had left Pontus at least 20 or 40 years ago (in example my mothers family) both due to persecution but also due to economic reasons. They had a better economic life in the Russian Empire then they could ever have in Pontus. In this scenario my mothers family would had moved to Greece in 1918, not 1939. They would have no interest on giving up what they got to go back to a poor life in isolated mountain villages. When people think of Pontus they think of Trebizond, Smapsouta, Kerasounta, but the majority of the Greek population was rural living in fairly isolated and poor mountain villages (it is why the insurgency lasted as long as it did, but also why it never was able to transform to a coherent movement). So you will get some idealists who will do this, but no you will not see a large scale return. Greece is their home.

Quinkana, the chapter by Merih Erol in Salvation and Catastrophe is a great resource for this. The Armenian community in Greece was never given minority status (which rankles with some of them even to today) but they are permitted to have their own Armenian language private schools, newspapers and cultural organizations, and they mostly kept their language. If Greece gets The City, then I expect an official declaration of minority status.

Stalin is an evil person, but he is a rationally evil person (unlike Hitler). His two major miscalculations in the early Cold War was the Berlin Blockade and getting hoodwinked by Kim (who also hoodwinked Mao). Beyond that he was very rational in what to push for and what to not. If we consider his historical diplomatic behavior, he will insist on keeping what his army holds, and seek neutralization of the Straits. He will sacrifice advantages of lesser import to get that. Hell he would be even willing to support Greece getting the City if Greece is willing to be bound by some serious restrictions in favor of neutralization of the straits. Of course it might be that he will commit a blunder ala Korea or Berlin in this case as well. That is in the purview of the author.

Finally let us revisit Kemal. Venizelos OTL is a good example. A politician that could had been world class but failed and is now just okish at the local context. Why is he so high status in our world. Well simply put his legacy is complex. 1) It would be stupid to deny for example that for my wife Kemal was great. Women like her gained opportunities that no other women in a Muslim majority country have because of his forced reforms. Maybe the reforms would had happened anyway, but no way as early as they did. 2) For many non-western people who care nothing about Greeks, Armenians or for that matter Jews, he is the guy who kept his country from becoming a western colony. There is truth in that. If Kemal had failed (and Kemal's key contribution to the Turkish war effort was his political and dimpliomatic acumen. Chakmak was the better soldier), Turkey would has spend decades in a condition equivalent to Iran. A semi-colony led by collaborationist royal governments. The end result would had been like Iran. In reaction to the rise of communist inspired independence movements , the goverment and its western patrons would had promoted Islamism. In the end you would have an Islamic takeover. Now this happened historically especially with the 1980s coup that did exactly that, but the timing is important and explains why Political Islam in Turkey took a different form than Political Islam in Iran. Would the Greek and Armenian and Jewish communities of a collaborationist Ottoman Turkey fare any better then they did. More would be alive sure, but expulsion and communal eradication would probably had been the result. So many in the Middle East and East Asia admire Kemal as the guy who stopped his country from becoming another Iran. This is true in the mid-range historical range. 3) For many Turks Kemal meant the end of an era of expulsion. It is a sad truth that in most cases were Ottoman rule ended, this was followed by the expulsion and communal eradication of muslim populations (in many places majorities). In some instances, we are talking about genocidal actions (genocide as per the Sebrenica case need not be a "regional" event, it can be even a local one). Now some think this fair and moral (one Greek commentator said that there such expulsion were a moral right in the sense of de-colonizaiton ). That is up to the conscience of every individual person. But just as Sudeten Germans, or Pedi-Noirs do not accept the morality of their expulsions, so do not Turks of Rumelian Muslim descent. So for them Kemal removed that threat. He did so with immoral means, but many people will care about the ends. 4) On the Kurds. There is no question that the Dersim Massacres was a genocidal event and a blot on the history of Turkey. But we must also remember that there was no Kurdish national idea back then. The Sevres Kurdistan had less to do with a Kurdish national idea, and more to do with competition among Kurdish clans. For every Sheik Said, Halid Beg , Ihsan Nuri, or Seyid Riza, you had as many or more clan chiefs that were happy to work the system (Nazimk Hikmet refers to these in his poem "Human Landscapes from My Country"). In this sense the suppressions were no different then other colonial imperial actions in the era. He deserves opprobrium for them, but there is nothing qualitatively in them that would make him worse then say Churchill or Salazar.

So let us get to the issues that are at the crux. Kemal was an enemy of the Greek, and Armenian people. No question on that. That said it is hard to place a lot of responsibility for the Armenian Genocide or the Greek Genocides of 1914-1918 on him. He was absent during the beginning of the Greek Genocide at Fokaia and Eastern Thrace in 1914, and his commands during Gallipoli were not involved in activities tied to the genocide. By the time of the battle of Gallipoli, the expulsion of Greeks from the region had already been completed. He was not a central member of the CUP, and was outside the leadership circle. By the time he took command in Syria, the Armenian genocide was done. His responsibility there is that of being part of the Ottoman Goverment, but nobody holds every German divisional or corps commander equally responsible for the Holocaust.

Now in 1918-1922 he bears more direct responsibility. But we need to remember a couple of things a) Kemal did not create the Turkish Nationalist movement. That was a CUP creation. Violence in the Pontus (Topal Osmans depredations), western Anatolia (conflict between muslim muhajirs and Greek and Armenians returnees), and in Eastern Anatolia (Andranik vs. Muslims) predated Erzurum. There was a complete collapse of any order in the post-1918 Ottoman Empire. Kemal took over the CUP creation (in many ways in a coup) with the support of initially Karabekir and then much later Chakmak (whose support was the key one in getting Ottoman military elites to join). He inherited the violence (just as Venizelos had). The difference is whereas Venizelos tried to put a stop on it (this is why Stergiadis was appointed) , Kemal sanctioned it. B) It is the sanctioning that makes his responsible with the most clear examples being his protection of Topal Osman and Nurredin Sakalli Pasha, both of whom are the real "merde" deal. C) Still we are talking about a total war on both sides. And both sides were armed. This is the big difference with the Holocaust. Greek and Armenian bands were active, they did commit atrocities. The war with Armenia was a war. All sides used scorched earth tactics. The Greek Army did devastate Western Anatolia (operating under military logic) and that did create a massive internal refugee movement that lead to many people dying for starvation and disease. And yet i.e Cappadocian Christians were not prosecuted, exterminated. This is why I dislike the "Christian Genocide" moniker. The target was not Christians per se. It was Greeks, it was Armenians.

That said, I do agree with the castigation of Kemal (I just have to be diplomatic due to my personal circumstances). The destruction of the Pontic Greeks did not have a military logic (there was not unified Pontic revolt, Kathenootis in 1919 reported that the local Pontic Greek elites considered military action suicidal and were angry at Russian Pontic Greeks for pushing for it). Even the pro-Turkish McCarthy speaks of a reaction out of proportion (hint, this is what you say when you do not have the guts to talk about a war-crime). The burning of Smyrna the same. One can debate what happened but there is no question how the Turkish state used it. There would be no repetition of 1918, no repatriation of refugees and expellees. The treatment of Ottoman Greek prisoners of war was criminal, the abduction of death of many Greeks and Armenians after the Greek army was defeated the same. These are the genocidal actions that rest on Kemal. Especially the last two were his decisions. He was not covering for someone else.

But, how much of the above is relevant to the Alternative Timeline: 1) You still get the benefits of westernization. So he is going to be popular in Turkey among women (I joke that CHP is at its core the party of middle-aged and older educated westernized women , and that is not far from truth). 2) He still is part of the story of averting Turkey becoming another Iran, but now he is not the protagonist, just part of a broader team. The movement is more important then the man. Chakmak is much more of a central personage. Turkey as a whole is going to have the role Kemal as a person had historically, but with its participation in WW2 as lot of that prestige is going to go away (and even then do you think many in Asia will care? They will still admire Turkey, as they admired Imperial Japan for beating the European colonial empires, or Thailand for picking a fight with France in WW2. Nobody in Thailand things Thailand was wrong to do so). His legacy thus in the timeline is secondary. Turkey is likely to still be popular in Asia an example of a Muslim country not rolling over for the Infidel Colonialists. 3) The 1919-1921 wars took a much different form. Turkey was defeated. Kars and Adrahan remained Russian/Soviet. Rather than a second phase of the 1914-1918 genocides you are talking about a "tamer" thing. Instead what is going to be central now is Turkish State War Crimes during WW2. Kemal is irrelevant here. The Kurds are a different actor, still riven by clan divisions, but Kurdish history is going to take a different path. Simply put the era of 1918-1939 is not going to play the same role in Kurdish nationalism as the era of 1939-1945.

In another name, in the timeline 1939-1945 is going to overshadow 1914-1939. Rather than 1914-1918 the central victimization narrative in Greece is going to be World War Two.

I hope this explains why in the context of the narrative built by Lascaris I think focusing on Kemal so much makes little sense. He simply is not that important of a character. As Lascaris says, there is no hero worship (which is a good think for Turkey imho). He probably holds a position more similar to Inonu in Turkey today within the scenario world (and I expect him to eclipsed by Ismet in this story). Indeed I bet there is a faction in the CHP of the scenario that does try to promote some kind of hero worship and they are just seen as embarrassing weirdos by the central leadership circles.

Last edited:
Now on revanchism. As life would have it I am reviewing a paper on the source and consequence of revenge motives in International Relations. It argues that the source for revenge motivations is a perceived imbalance of suffering between two groups (this is a individual level motivation) that leads to a motivation to seek violent retaliation (to redress the balance of suffering by hurting the other side). It is not a wise poise in politics as interstate relations based on seeking to redress a balance of suffering tend to fuel unending interstate rivalries that neither deter vengeance, nor resolve the issue. But the author does point out, that just because you as a person might seek to redress what you seen a imbalance of suffering, state actors might resist externalizing this if conditions at the interstate and international level are not permissive of engaging in violence, or might decide to resolve this by changed narratives. In this case you as the individual might well seek redress at the extra-state level (Armenian terrorism i.e).

Thus I would argue that a revanchist Turkey will depend on several things a) how many Turks at the individual level will consider that there is a imbalance of suffering at the end of the war and with who. I have a feeling that will not be the case with Greece. The border changes we are talking about do not seem large enough to affect many Turks at the individual level to trigger vengeance motivations. The potential victim population of Wallie actions is much smaller than say the victim population in 1877,1912,1914,1919. Fewer victims at the individual level means fewer perceptions of imbalance of suffering, means less of a motivation for revenge. Things might be different in Eastern Anatolia vis-a-vis a Soviet Armenia or USSR. b) Even if there are motivations for violent retaliation, if Turkey cannot act on them as a state it will not do so. Sandwiched between the USSR and the Western Alliance (whatever form it takes), decision makers may very well decide not to seek another round. Ottoman Turkey has now been defeated four times (1912,1918,1921,194?). I can assure you from my work that a country beat three to four times gives up the sport. They may make rhetorical claims (Bolivia and the Dia Del Mar, Argentina and the Falklands, Armenia vs. Turkey) but they are not serious about starting a war over them. Most findings in Political Science show that it is frequent war winners that keep on starting wars. Frequent war losers give it up after the third or fourth time. c) I cannot see any post-war Turkish decision makers seriously contemplating another war for at least 20-30 years. The experience of WW2 is going to reinforce the introspective attitudes that dominated Turkish politics after 1923 (here 1921).

So no, a Turkey that still picks up wars after losing four is going to be an extraordinary exception to the average state behavior, and only hard core racist perceptions can argue why Turks are especially likely to go at it after losing four wars (even Pakistan gave up the game after four losses, and it is not nukes, as the Kargil War was fought when both of them are nuclear powers).

While Lascaris as the author might have another Turkey-Greece war for the fun of it, realistically speaking Turkey is out of the war game, for at least the Cold War.

To put it simply, the Turkey dislikers will probably have to be satisfied by whatever comes from the termination of WW2. They are likely not to get another chance to pummel it in the timeline.

Now on revanchism.

I am just a history enthousiast and not an academic, I have not even studied history, but here is my two cents worth.

I think there are plenty of examples to support the above thesis on revanchism. But there are several others that go on the other direction. For example, we know that Weimar Germany was revanchist towards the newly established Poland. There was a broad consensus on that even before the Nazis taking power. However, the ethnic german population that found themselves under polish rule or had to migrate because of that were a small percentage of the 1913 german population. Moreover, there could be no denial that the Poles had suffered more than the Germans during WW1. Millions of Germans served at the Eastern Front and saw russian Poland becoming a battlefield and then being under occupation.

The same applies to the Poles themselves: for a handful of silesian towns and villages, Czechoslovakia became a rival when any sane policymaker would understand that Czechoslovakia was a pillar of polish security, second only to France. It didn't stop them distancing themselves from Prague during the Interwar and didn't stop the Sanation clique of an opportunist land grabbing after the Sudeten Crisis.

What about italian revanchism over Fiume and Dalmatia? Again the affected population is tiny and Dalmatia was not even italian speaking.

The loss of the Balkans was a traumatic event. I would think though that the loss of chunks of Anatolia would have been a much more traumatic event for the identity of the state. It is like France losing not Alsace but Champagne. The muhachirs of 1921 Asiatic Greece constitute a much larger percentage of the population than Alsatian French or Posen Germans. And to them there will be added more. I think at the very least, Greece will gain former Italian Caria. Greece might also push for more defensible borders. I wouldn't dream of preaching to you the strategic importance of the Simav Plateau.

I am just a history enthousiast and not an academic, I have not even studied history, but here is my two cents worth.

I think there are plenty of examples to support the above thesis on revanchism. But there are several others that go on the other direction. For example, we know that Weimar Germany was revanchist towards the newly established Poland. There was a broad consensus on that even before the Nazis taking power. However, the ethnic german population that found themselves under polish rule or had to migrate because of that were a small percentage of the 1913 german population. Moreover, there could be no denial that the Poles had suffered more than the Germans during WW1. Millions of Germans served at the Eastern Front and saw russian Poland becoming a battlefield and then being under occupation.

The same applies to the Poles themselves: for a handful of silesian towns and villages, Czechoslovakia became a rival when any sane policymaker would understand that Czechoslovakia was a pillar of polish security, second only to France. It didn't stop them distancing themselves from Prague during the Interwar and didn't stop the Sanation clique of an opportunist land grabbing after the Sudeten Crisis.

What about italian revanchism over Fiume and Dalmatia? Again the affected population is tiny and Dalmatia was not even italian speaking.

The loss of the Balkans was a traumatic event. I would think though that the loss of chunks of Anatolia would have been a much more traumatic event for the identity of the state. It is like France losing not Alsace but Champagne. The muhachirs of 1921 Asiatic Greece constitute a much larger percentage of the population than Alsatian French or Posen Germans. And to them there will be added more. I think at the very least, Greece will gain former Italian Caria. Greece might also push for more defensible borders. I wouldn't dream of preaching to you the strategic importance of the Simav Plateau.
On the other hand if you look at Bulgaria that indeed lost 3 wars in a row they stopped their sabre rattling dramatically. Well that might have to do with the Soviet alignment but I wouldn't think so. The example you gave are only 1 lost war though, in the case of Poland none lost really, so a losing state won't go for a rematch soon.
To give my opinion on that , I see Turkey calm down and be a bit defeatist for at least a decade. They have lost against Greece all of their wars except one, damn that 1897 stupidity!!!, they have tried their hardest , lost thousands of men and money for literally nothing. How they will react really it will depend on the peace treaty and there was a lot of talk some time ago here about a split between East and West , although as the TL continues that seems unlikely IMHO. If Turkey remains whole and starts to develop their economic connection with Greece is inevitable as is OTL really. That could help to stabilize their relations for a while.

One should note really that the author has mentioned that Greco-Turkish alliance in the late 20's to 30's with a lot of bad blood between with Greece clearly defeated in the previous war. Greece still doesn't have major revanchist movement for Ionia really although they only lost once a century ago...

Any conflict will come when Turkey starts to get on its feet and its population starts to really outmatch the Greek one, if that happens ITTL, and their economy can handdle another go while the international stage is preoccupied with something else and that window of opportunity is really really small in the Cold War.

On the other hand if you look at Bulgaria that indeed lost 3 wars in a row they stopped their sabre rattling dramatically. Well that might have to do with the Soviet alignment but I wouldn't think so.
I'm not entirely certain Bulgaria is the best of examples. In the Paris peace conference Bulgaria was still making territorial claims on Greece despite being on the defeated side. And at least for several decades after 1945 relations with Greece were frosty and armed incidents not uncommon, the most serious in August 1952 had the Bulgarian seizing an islet on Ebros with 4 Greek and 7 Bulgarian soldiers killed in the initial clash and Greece reacting with artillery and armor.