Map Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings and salutations: another little map project I have been fiddling with for a while. Continuing with my current "redo other people's maps" theme, I found this old map by m2thet5678:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/di...p=1574011&highlight=cyberpunk+map#post1574011

and decided to do my fancied-up version...

WWIII ended as a bit of a damp firecracker, with only a few tens of millions dead (mostly in the Soviet Union and central Europe: a surprising number of Soviet missiles either landed other than where they were supposed to go or failed to detonante properly). While this led to radical efforts towards reform on the parts of the Soviets, it led to the broadening of certain fissures in US society, leading, when compounded by the Oil Crunch, climate change, and the Global Market Crash, to the Second US Civil War of 2033-2044 and the fragmentation of the nation. The 21st century has been a messy one, what with the rise of the Catholic Church Militant and the Corporate and Technocratic trans-national states carving out territorial bases for themselves, the Chinese Civil War, the Central Asian Conflict and the Indo-Pakistani war, and various other problematic events.

Now, in the early 22nd century, things have stablized somewhat, and a fairly stable peace exists between the democratic Quintuple Alliance (the United States, Greater South Africa, The North Atlantic Block, Transpacific Sphere, South American Community), the "managed democracy"-capitalist Indo-Chinese alliance (South India and Shanghai Cooperative), the Soviet Complex, and several of the corporatist states. Relationships are shakier with the Technocrats and their transhumanist agenda, the nasty dictatorships of Egypt and Catholic Europe, and downright bad with the Anarchist Association, which considers none of their governments legitimate. And nobody really knows exactly what goes on behind the sealed borders of the People's Combine, while the peculiar new religion seemingly followed by most of the employees of the Gaea Syndicate worries psychodynamicists.

Technology marches on. The world is powered by nuclear fusion, most food is produced synthetically, the planets are being colonized by several powers, and people worry about nanotech: although the Danube Disaster was successfully contained (at the cost of several million Romanians), will something much worse happen one of these days? All nanotech research is confined to off-planet (and easily destroyed) space stations by international convention, but can such powers as the PCGNY or the Egyptians or the Christian States (well, probably not: they're technologically backwards) be trusted to stick to the rules?

Bruce

Last edited:
Mappy mappy.

Bruce

Punkish.png

Very cool, Mr. Munro.

Although: how does an anarchy have a puppet state?

Hmm - well,

1. Your values of anarchy may vary.
2. There is nothing to prevent powerful groups within an anarchy from meddling in the affairs of fragile neighboring states.

Bruce

Thande

Donor
I love how in any B_Munro map with a post-1900 POD, Britain always seems to be the 'Only Sane Nation' that stays pretty much the same in the middle of a thematic madhouse :D

I love how in any B_Munro map with a post-1900 POD, Britain always seems to be the 'Only Sane Nation' that stays pretty much the same in the middle of a thematic madhouse :D

In my defense, I have had "radioactive wasteland Britain" and "fascistic Britain" a few times, but perhaps I have too much faith in the basic sanity of the British :D

Bruce

Austriae Est Imperare Orbi Universio

King Rudolph I of Habsburg successfully installed his son Albert as successor of the assassinated King Ladislaus IV of Hungary. With his power base strong enough Rudolph also establishes his son as his successor, Albert being elected as King of the Romans in 1291. Albert consolidated his power even further by seizing the counties of Holland and Zeeland. The Pope seeing the power the Habsburgs now commanded recognized Albert as Emperor of Rome. The power of the Hapsburgs was enough now that Albert was strong enough to proclaim a hereditary monarchy. A number of the princes protest and attempt to depose Albert, whose forces crush the rebellion cementing Habsburg rule over the HRE. After Albert’s death, his son Frederick is crowned by the Pope Emperor of the Romans and a new Roman Empire was proclaimed. To the west the French are horrified by the sudden unification of Germany, Hungary, and northern Italy under a single dynasty. To the east the Emperor of Byzantium are not happy about Habsburg Empires claim to Rome, but is preoccupied with the Empires own dealings. On a note for Byzantium, the forces of the upstart Osman Sultanate were defeated in 1302 at Nicaea. The Osman Sultanate was defeated and absorbed by Byzantium in 1305. In 1315 the Habsburg Roman Empire conquered Venice.

1315 Habsburg Roman Empire.png

This map is just a try to have an 'old west' setting with many different countries...

I was inspired by Deadlands RPG, Rubberduck's Texas (for most of its inner borders), Aces and Eights RPG and California Island from David Johnson's website Trolley World.

This map is early 1900, in the old west most of the Deseret territory is claimed by at least 2 other nations.

Missing on the map are Lower Canada and Russian Alaska

AltNorAm.png

Last edited:
This map is just a try to have an 'old west' setting with many different countries...

I was inspired by Deadlands RPG, Rubberduck's Texas (for most of its inner borders), Aces and Eights RPG and California Island from David Johnson's website Trolley World.

This map is early 1900, in the old west most of the Deseret territory is claimed by at least 2 other nations.

Missing on the map is Lower Canada and Russian Alaska

Parts of California are an Island?

Parts of California are an Island?

Yes, Baja is an island and from San Francisco to Los Angeles as well.
But with the geological events leading to that happening long before our era...
The effect I've used for the borders doesn't make it very clear.

Thande

Donor

The only problem with that is that the Canadian borders are too convergent to fit with the others.

I really like the map, but I feel that Deseret and French Mexico do seem to be kinda strange to be honest{mainly because there never were a terribly large number of Mormons, especially combat-ready one, and France certainly didn't have many spare resources to start taking over Mexico IOTL as far as I know, since they already had colonies in Africa to hold down.}.............do you have a specific POD for this Deadlands-based TL?

{P.S. IMHO, Calif. + Tex. Republics = made of pure win. :D}

France certainly didn't have many spare resources to start taking over Mexico IOTL as far as I know, since they already had colonies in Africa to hold down.}.............do you have a specific POD for this Deadlands-based TL?

France did successfully invade Mexico and eestablish a new regime IOTL, it only lasted a few years as the French had were both concerned with Europe and more or less lost interest, so it's not terribly unlikely they could annex the Yucatan as well as establishing the second Mexican Empire.

Thanks for the input !

The only problem with that is that the Canadian borders are too convergent to fit with the others.

Good point I'll have to work on that...

I feel that Deseret and French Mexico do seem to be kinda strange to be honest

Well I was just having fun, I'm going to have to polish all that... Deseret will be contested lands, and french mexico at war with the free mexican states.

do you have a specific POD for this Deadlands-based TL? {P.S. IMHO, Calif. + Tex. Republics = made of pure win. :D}

I have no POD in mind, just wanted plenty of nations in the west.

France did successfully invade Mexico and eestablish a new regime IOTL, it only lasted a few years as the French had were both concerned with Europe and more or less lost interest, so it's not terribly unlikely they could annex the Yucatan as well as establishing the second Mexican Empire.

ITTL the UK decides to help with that project and invades Yucatan.

Still lots of work I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.