CHALLENGE: "Peaceful" 20th Century

I once read that the 20th Century saw over 100 million war deaths. Starting January 1, 1901 have a plausible TL with an order of magnitude less (note: this still allows nearly 10,000 per month average).

Grey Wolf

Donor
tom said:
I once read that the 20th Century saw over 100 million war deaths. Starting January 1, 1901 have a plausible TL with an order of magnitude less (note: this still allows nearly 10,000 per month average).

Personally I would get rid of Tsar Nicholas II before Alexei is born. This would make the more stable Michael, Tsar, could well avoid the Russo-Japanese War, avoid the revolutions of 1905, and if there is a July 1914 crisis, a more stable and less paranoid Russia under Michael could act in the interests of peace. A resumption of the London Conference, a halt in Belgrade military-political solution etc.

Of course, given no R-J War or 1905 revolution, Russia won't be so weak in 1908 so the annexation of Bosnia-Hercegovina may never go ahead anyway. The dynamics of the Balkan Wars would be drastically changed, and there may well be no assassination of Franz Ferdinand

Grey Wolf

Xen

Banned
I like the idea Grey Wolf, that could have changed alot, however I dont believe it would have avoided war all together, I think a Great War is bound to happen, maybe sometime in the late 20s early 30s.

Perhaps the Tsar and Tsarina are killed by a radical in St Petersburg while she is pregnant with Alexi. Michael becomes Tsar, he sends the four grand duchesses to be raised by an aunt in Moscow, living in the Kremlin. The girls turn out completely different.

Archduke Ferdinand is spared due to the butterflies but his wife is still murdered. He will remarry a couple years later, this time to a proper European Noble. There is no WWI between 1914-1918.

But can we really get a peaceful century? The Clash of Empires seems difficult to avoid.

Kaiser Bill's Dad lives longer and makes Germany a Democracy.

Some kind of reform in Austria Hungary respecting diversity.

Yes a more succesful 1905 Russian Revolution.

Probably greater influence of Western POLITICAL attitudes in Japan

(Oh and if possible Home rule in place in Ireland well before 1900)

Grey Wolf

Donor
Derek Jackson said:
Kaiser Bill's Dad lives longer and makes Germany a Democracy.

Some kind of reform in Austria Hungary respecting diversity.

Yes a more succesful 1905 Russian Revolution.

Probably greater influence of Western POLITICAL attitudes in Japan

(Oh and if possible Home rule in place in Ireland well before 1900)

Some very interesting ideas. I certainly agree with 1,4 and 5 but wonder whether 2 is only possible with an Austro-Hungarian civil war as its hard to imagine Hungary giving away any of its 'rights'

I am intrigued as to your ideas for 1905 ? Given that the Russo-Japanese War was a key factor in the revolutions, you cannot avoid that war and all the killing therein. But can these revolutions have a successful outcome per se ? There was no national leadership so I can't see them succeeding in getting rid of the monarchy, or even just of Nicholas II, but I guess you could have 'more successful' mean that proper and LASTING democratyic reforms were introduced ?

Grey Wolf