Post here historical leaders who were of an ethnic minority (or foreign ethnic group) from the country that they ruled over.

Crazy Boris

Banned
Kennedy meaningfully belonged to a minority, Biden does not at least not in 2020. When Kennedy was elected president there was a cost of being being an Irish Catholic, while in none of Biden’s presidential campaigns have it been brought up.

Trump as example is far more foreign than either Biden or even Kennedy with two grandparents born in Germany and a mother born in Scotland, but Trump it have never been anything which really affected Trump among the general population, through it’s a other case among his fellow rich New Yorkers, who see this third generation rich Ivy League guy as nouveau riche because of his origin.

I don’t get what you mean. The perception of other people doesn’t change someone’s ethnic makeup. Donald Trump’s grandfather doesn’t retroactively stop being German just because his grandson is thoroughly assimilated. Minorities don’t stop being minorities if people don’t point at them and say “lookit that guy he’s a different from me guy”.

I don’t get what you mean. The perception of other people doesn’t change someone’s ethnic makeup. Donald Trump’s grandfather doesn’t retroactively stop being German just because his grandson is thoroughly assimilated. Minorities don’t stop being minorities if people don’t point at them and say “lookit that guy he’s a different from me guy”.

These identities are completely arbitrary and build on feelings . We see Obama as African American even through he was not related to the general African American population and he didn’t grow up among African Americans.

Crazy Boris

Banned
These identities are completely arbitrary and build on feelings . We see Obama as African American even through he was not related to the general African American population and he didn’t grow up among African Americans.

First off, I don’t see how this addresses my point. Minorities are mathematically defined, any group that isn’t a majority (or plurality, if you want to count that separately), it doesn’t really matter if randos take notice or not.

Second, maybe you might consider him as such, but I know Obama’s dad was Luo so I’d consider him (partly) Luo-American, which, strictly speaking, is African-American, just not the same as the “stereotypical” African American who’s a mishmash of like 30 West African, European, and Amerindian ancestries.

Problem there is that “African American” is vague, people usually use it to refer to the aforementioned group (who could really use a more specific name), since that’s the biggest demographic that falls under the umbrella, but it could just as well accurately apply to a hundred other unrelated groups. Recent immigrants from Nigeria or Ethiopia, Maghrebis or Afrikaners who don’t look stereotypically African, Americo-Liberians who reversed their ancestor’s migrations, you could even count people from Afro-Caribbean groups if you want to.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make but I don’t think Obama is a good example, since now I’m just even more confused now that you’ve dropped the bomb of incredibly vague terminology on me.

The Duke of Wellington was Irish, at a time when the Irish people were legally disenfranchised. However, as part of the "Protestant Ascendancy", he was more an Englishman who happened to be born and raised in Ireland. Before the Act of Union he was an MP in the Irish parliament, which was pretty much just English and Scottish landowners deciding how best to rule over the Irish.

He changed his name to be less Irish once he entered the army as well
No he didn't. The decision to change the family name was his elder brother's decision and he called himself Irish until his death. It's Daniel O'Connell's misattributed quote that has been popularized to make it seem like he was never Irish but the man considered himself as such and was a huge proponent of Irish rights in the UK at the time. According to his soldiers diaries, he even spoke basic Gaelic which was a huge deal for the Protestant Ascendancy.

How has nobody brought up the White Rajahs of Sarawak?

Or the Timurids who were of Uzbek Origins but ruled from Syria to Central Asia at their height?

Or the many Circassian origin mamluk dynasties in Egypt?

Turgut Özal, Prime Minister (and later President) of Turkey, was half Kurdish.

Bülent Ecevit who was Prime Minister numerous times and remained a strong political figure for over three decades was a quarter Kurdish.

İsmet İnönü who succeeded Atatürk as the 2nd President of Turkey and served as Prime Minister before that also came from a Kurdish family.

American Presidents--
Martin Van Buren (Dutch)
John F. Kennedy (Irish)
Barack Obama (African-American)
British Prime Ministers--
The Duke of Wellington (Irish)
David Lloyd-George (Welsh)
Benjamin Disraeli (Sephardic Jewish)
French Presidents--
Napoleon Bonaparte (Corsican)
Louis-Jules Trochu (Breton)
Patrice de MacMahon (Irish)

Turgut Özal, Prime Minister (and later President) of Turkey, was half Kurdish.

Bülent Ecevit who was Prime Minister numerous times and remained a strong political figure for over three decades was a quarter Kurdish.

İsmet İnönü who succeeded Atatürk as the 2nd President of Turkey and served as Prime Minister before that also came from a Kurdish family.

Pretty amazing that there has been so many Kurdish origin presidents/PMs and Turkey is still pretty anti-Kurdish.

Former Prime Minister of Saxony (2008 till 1017) Stanislaw Rudi Tilllich is Sorbian. His name being Stanisław Tilich in Upper Sorbian.

vgh...

Banned
I was going to mention him if he hadn't come up. The fact that he was Catholic was a pretty big deal at the time, so I'd definitely include him.

Interestingly, according to the 'pedia, he was the second president with Irish ancestry. First was Andrew Jackson:
LOL! Andrew Jackson was only of "Irish" extraction in the sense that he was of Scotch-Irish extraction, as were most of the early US patriots and settlers of the inland south and Appalachian backcountry. ie the Presbyterian Scots and Border Reavers who were sent to plant Ulster and not the native Gaelic Irish. Definitely not the same as JFK. Dumb Wikipedia.

Last edited:
LOL! Andrew Jackson was only of "Irish" extraction in the sense that he was of Scotch-Irish extraction, as were most of the early US patriots and settlers of the inland south and Appalachian backcountry. ie the Presbyterian Scots and Border Reavers who were sent to plant Ulster and not the native Gaelic Irish. Definitely not the same as JFK. Dumb Wikipedia.
Interestingly, somebody fixed the article this morning, with pretty much the same comment. Coincidence seems unlikely.